Quantcast

[15 Years of TV Leadership] ① Samsung TVs – A Legacy of Innovation

Samsung-TVs-1st-Place-for-15-Yrs-Pt-1_ma

From black and white to color, analog to digital, and digital to smart TVs­—Samsung Electronics has been there for all the key historic moments in the development of the television. Over time, Samsung has established itself as a global television leader by applying innovative technologies and staying a step ahead when it comes to identifying global lifestyle trends.

And Samsung’s innovation hasn’t slowed in 2021. Even in the unprecedented era of the global pandemic, the company recorded a revenue-based TV market share of 31.9%1 in 2020. This was the highest figure the company had ever recorded, and means that Samsung has retained its number one spot in the global TV market for the 15th consecutive year. In this two-part series, Samsung Newsroom will explore the legacy of Samsung TVs, which have long been pioneers in the sector.

A History of Excellence

Samsung released its initial ‘world’s first’ television in 1998 with the launch of its 55-inch projection TV. The company’s initial securing of this title was partially brought about by its helping to lead the global transition from analog to digital television.

Samsung went on to further change the game by releasing its LCD TV in the early 2000s. Around this time the company successfully popularized wall-mountable LCD TVs, leading to the inception of the golden age of LCD TVs. Samsung also launched a 46-inch (116cm) LCD TV—which was then the largest in the industry—and consequently altered the approach of an industry that had not been focused on large-screen TVs up to then. The 46-inch LCD TV, which cost more than USD 13,000 back then, was widely welcomed and helped spur the success of LCD TVs.

Samsung’s Bordeaux LCD TV, naturally portraying the tones of a fine wine

The Bordeaux LCD TV, released by Samsung in 2006, is another example that shows how innovation-based, outside-the-box thinking has changed the face of the sector forevermore. Developers began to question the long-term feasibility of thick, heavy, vacuum-tube-based televisions and instead started to dream of TVs that were lightweight and aesthetically sophisticated. The Bordeaux TV was the result, with its sales numbers exceeding one million in the first six months of its release. The Bordeaux TV featured a speaker that was relocated from both sides of the TV to the bottom, and highlighted its sophistication with a crimson color and curved edges. In addition to marking the launch of the Bordeaux TV, 2006 was also the first time in the company’s history that Samsung ranked first in the global television market. The company has continued to hold that position for 15 consecutive years, and still holds it today.

The Commitment to Realizing the Best Definition Ever Seen

Aiming to provide the absolute best experience to its television users, Samsung has maintained a keen commitment to improving image resolution. In a time of constantly changing lifestyle patterns and an ever-expanding pool of content, true technological innovation remains a primary driving force when it comes to retaining the TV industry’s top spot.

Samsung’s LED TV, which received attention for its innovative, integrated technologies

At CES 2009, Samsung introduced the beginning of the LED TV era. The company’s LED televisions used light emitting diodes (LEDs), which are semiconductor-based light sources that emit light when current flows through them, to realize very clear image resolution. About 50 engineers worked for around two years to completely redesign all components of the TV, obtaining more than 3,000 patents as they worked to realize the potential of LED TV technology. The resulting televisions would go on to distinguish themselves by creating a whole new domain for the industry.

Samsung’s QLED TV, first introduced at CES 2017

Samsung’s QLED TV, which achieved 100 percent color volume for the first time in the industry, is another product that reached the peak of screen technology. In 2017, Samsung released this next-generation television, which was based on quantum dot (QLED) technology. The TV takes quantum dot technology to new heights with advancements in light efficiency, stability and a wider color spectrum. At this time, Samsung emphasized that it would be creating a new standard for the global TV market in accordance with its slogan, ‘The Next Innovation In TV.’

Samsung revealed its 2021 Neo QLED, a whole new display technology, during its First Look event ahead of CES 2021. Neo QLED is underpinned by Quantum Mini LED technology, which features LEDs that are 1/40th the height of conventional LEDs and are precisely controlled by Samsung’s own Quantum Matrix Technology and Neo Quantum Processor, a powerful picture processor with enhanced upscaling capabilities. Thus, Samsung, which has remained a step ahead when it comes to introducing future display technology, continues to lead the global TV sector while further strengthening its unique position in the market.

Reflecting Users’ Tastes – The Inception of the ‘Era of Smart’ 

After leading the global TV market for 15 consecutive years, Samsung’s innovations have come to transform users’ lifestyles and daily routines too. As more and more users gained the ability to handpick the content they wanted to watch, Samsung launched the Samsung TV App Store in 2010. In particular, the app provided a variety of high-quality local content for different countries, which helped to expand viewer pools. By developing the app according to the viewing preferences of each region and accentuating content like sports, movies, and cooking, Samsung helped make the viewing experience more enjoyable and further advanced its leadership.

Samsung has also been offering its Samsung TV Plus2 service since the service’s launch in 2015. Samsung TV Plus is the company’s free Smart TV video service, which provides instant access to news, sports, entertainment and more. The service has now been expanded to 12 countries, bringing access to over 60 million Samsung Smart TVs.

Samsung, which has always been ahead of the pack when it comes to making our societies smarter, will continue to put the users first by allowing them to select what they want to consume and catering its offerings to their tastes. As it continues to demonstrate the power of content, Samsung is planning to further expand its Smart TV experiences by increasing the number of countries where it can provide its services, as well as reinforcing its cooperation with broadcasting companies and content providers from around the world.

1 January 2021 data released by market research firm Omdia

2 Samsung TV Plus is currently available in select regions including the U.S., Canada, U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Korea, Australia, and Brazil. Service availability may vary by region and product.

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Samsung Newsroom
      Shinique Smith is a New York-based artist widely recognized for her monumental fabric sculptures and abstract paintings infused with calligraphy and collages. In her art, she uses recycled objects or memories to showcase the power of personal possessions — believing that humans collect meaningful keepsakes in search of their own paradise. Her work has become renowned in the past two decades for conveying inspiring messages of personal expression, energy, history and identity. Now, Smith’s globally acclaimed artwork comes to life with The Frame’s cutting-edge technology.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Smith to discuss her artistic journey and the inspiration behind some of her work.

▲ Shinique Smith poses in front of one of her works

From Early Creative Exposure to a Varied and Flourishing Career
      Q: Tell us a bit about yourself and your career as an artist. How did your early exposure to the art world influence your career?

I was born, raised and educated in Baltimore, Maryland. My mother made certain that creativity was integral to my upbringing. What began as arts and crafts in my early childhood inspired me to attend the Baltimore School for the Arts, where I completed my undergraduate and graduate studies in fine art and arts education.

In addition to my more than 12 years of arts education, my mother’s creative and intellectual endeavors — including fashion design, science, world religions and spiritual practices — were all influential and have become the conceptual core of my artistic practice.

Art has shaped my worldview since it is a lifelong study, pursuit and career.

Q: You work with many different media, ranging from sculpture to painting. What is your favorite to work with?

I consider sculpture and painting to be opposite sides of the same coin, and my favorite is when they influence each other. I create with many materials — paint, fabric, collage, photography and performance. I enjoy finding the connections and harmonies that resonate between them.

Q: Tell us a bit about your artistic process. How do you get from start to finish on a project?

Drawing is the foundation of my artistic process. I draw sketches of sculptures that I’ve already made or plan to make in the future. This keeps my mind and hands coordinated and fresh. Paintings begin with words translated into gestures on paper or canvas. From there, I build layers, edit and find connections of color and meaning in the elements that I add. The process is almost entirely intuitive.

Q: Do you recall a pivotal moment or experience in your career that still influences your work?

“Twilight’s Compendium,” a site-specific installation at the Denver Art Museum, is one of my most signficant works. I used my body to make prints on the wall and combined them with sculpture and collage to create my first large-scale installation. It was a catalog of blues and a collection of marks that I learned throughout the process — which I continue to use now.

An Intimate Museum in Samsung’s Art Store
      Q: Your work has been displayed at institutions ranging from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to the New Museum in New York. How does displaying your work on The Frame compare to displaying it inside museums or galleries?

Both platforms grant access to a wide audience. In museums, the viewer must take in the work in a more public, fast-paced environment. The Frame, on the other hand, is like having a piece of the museum in an intimate space, giving the viewer more time to explore details of the work.

Q: You have a collection of public works in cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and more. How do you feel public works like these compare to your work that is widely available to users of The Frame?

My public works are available for people to see while in transit. They are monumentally scaled, from 60 to 150 feet. Some are indoors and at ground level, and others are outside and so high in the air that viewers must be at a distance to see the whole piece. All my works — wherever they are found — reveal intricate details upon closer observation, similar to viewing art on The Frame.

Q: What pieces would you recommend users display on The Frame? Please give a brief explanation of each.

▲ “Angel” (2011)

“Angel” is a composite of three images I shot of one of my favorite hanging sculptures. With pink and rainbows, this piece is great to display on The Frame since not everyone has space for work like this in their home.

▲ “Dusk” (2012)

“Dusk” is a fabric wall sculpture and the only one that became a landscape made from clothing in my closet. I’m inspired by our quest for paradise and utopia through our keepsakes. For users, I hope it could be like viewing an imaginative rolling hill through a window.

▲ “Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” (2019)

“Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” is new to The Frame, and it is my favorite part of a mural-like mixed media painting. Through the cut mirrors, the viewer catches glimpses of themselves in the work — like my experience riding the bus to school as a teenager or seeing my window reflection against the cityscape.

Technology and Artistic Accessibility
      Q: Do you feel there are any advantages to displaying your work digitally, such as on The Frame?

I love seeing my work in different scales and mediums. The Frame is a beautiful platform that gives the viewer the advantage of both variety and intimacy.

Q: Throughout your career, how have you seen technology influence the art world? How do you see this changing in the future?

Anything that causes a shift in society is reflected in the art world — technology has evolved so drastically that it has changed modern society with home computers, wireless cable TV, the internet and social media.

Disposable cameras and camcorders gave people wider access to photography and videography. Now, everyone can film, document and share every increment of life through their smartphones.

Looking to the future, everyone is talking about AI and using it to think and create for people. As we continue this exploration, I hope we will continue to rely on our own abilities and creativity.

Q: Do you have any upcoming projects you’re able to tell us about?

“Metamorph” will open in April at the Monique Meloche Gallery during EXPO Chicago. The exhibition will showcase new paintings, sculptures and works on paper inspired by butterflies, transformation and resilient beauty.

This July, I will also present a new large-scale sculptural installation at the Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields.

My latest exhibition, “Parade,” recently opened at The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art. The synergy between my contemporary fabric works and the adorned, draped figures of European master paintings is striking. Available until January 2025, the gallery will feature various talks and performances starting this May through the fall.

Visit Samsung Art Store in The Frame to see more of Shinique Smith’s artwork.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Shinique Smith is a New York-based artist widely recognized for her monumental fabric sculptures and abstract paintings infused with calligraphy and collages. In her art, she uses recycled objects or memories to showcase the power of personal possessions — believing that humans collect meaningful keepsakes in search of their own paradise. Her work has become renowned in the past two decades for conveying inspiring messages of personal expression, energy, history and identity. Now, Smith’s globally acclaimed artwork comes to life with The Frame’s cutting-edge technology.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Smith to discuss her artistic journey and the inspiration behind some of her work.

▲ Shinique Smith poses in front of one of her works

From Early Creative Exposure to a Varied and Flourishing Career
      Q: Tell us a bit about yourself and your career as an artist. How did your early exposure to the art world influence your career?

I was born, raised and educated in Baltimore, Maryland. My mother made certain that creativity was integral to my upbringing. What began as arts and crafts in my early childhood inspired me to attend the Baltimore School for the Arts, where I completed my undergraduate and graduate studies in fine art and arts education.

In addition to my more than 12 years of arts education, my mother’s creative and intellectual endeavors — including fashion design, science, world religions and spiritual practices — were all influential and have become the conceptual core of my artistic practice.

Art has shaped my worldview since it is a lifelong study, pursuit and career.

Q: You work with many different media, ranging from sculpture to painting. What is your favorite to work with?

I consider sculpture and painting to be opposite sides of the same coin, and my favorite is when they influence each other. I create with many materials — paint, fabric, collage, photography and performance. I enjoy finding the connections and harmonies that resonate between them.

Q: Tell us a bit about your artistic process. How do you get from start to finish on a project?

Drawing is the foundation of my artistic process. I draw sketches of sculptures that I’ve already made or plan to make in the future. This keeps my mind and hands coordinated and fresh. Paintings begin with words translated into gestures on paper or canvas. From there, I build layers, edit and find connections of color and meaning in the elements that I add. The process is almost entirely intuitive.

Q: Do you recall a pivotal moment or experience in your career that still influences your work?

“Twilight’s Compendium,” a site-specific installation at the Denver Art Museum, is one of my most signficant works. I used my body to make prints on the wall and combined them with sculpture and collage to create my first large-scale installation. It was a catalog of blues and a collection of marks that I learned throughout the process — which I continue to use now.

An Intimate Museum in Samsung’s Art Store
      Q: Your work has been displayed at institutions ranging from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to the New Museum in New York. How does displaying your work on The Frame compare to displaying it inside museums or galleries?

Both platforms grant access to a wide audience. In museums, the viewer must take in the work in a more public, fast-paced environment. The Frame, on the other hand, is like having a piece of the museum in an intimate space, giving the viewer more time to explore details of the work.

Q: You have a collection of public works in cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and more. How do you feel public works like these compare to your work that is widely available to users of The Frame?

My public works are available for people to see while in transit. They are monumentally scaled, from 60 to 150 feet. Some are indoors and at ground level, and others are outside and so high in the air that viewers must be at a distance to see the whole piece. All my works — wherever they are found — reveal intricate details upon closer observation, similar to viewing art on The Frame.

Q: What pieces would you recommend users display on The Frame? Please give a brief explanation of each.

▲ “Angel” (2011)

“Angel” is a composite of three images I shot of one of my favorite hanging sculptures. With pink and rainbows, this piece is great to display on The Frame since not everyone has space for work like this in their home.

▲ “Dusk” (2012)

“Dusk” is a fabric wall sculpture and the only one that became a landscape made from clothing in my closet. I’m inspired by our quest for paradise and utopia through our keepsakes. For users, I hope it could be like viewing an imaginative rolling hill through a window.

▲ “Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” (2019)

“Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” is new to The Frame, and it is my favorite part of a mural-like mixed media painting. Through the cut mirrors, the viewer catches glimpses of themselves in the work — like my experience riding the bus to school as a teenager or seeing my window reflection against the cityscape.

Technology and Artistic Accessibility
      Q: Do you feel there are any advantages to displaying your work digitally, such as on The Frame?

I love seeing my work in different scales and mediums. The Frame is a beautiful platform that gives the viewer the advantage of both variety and intimacy.

Q: Throughout your career, how have you seen technology influence the art world? How do you see this changing in the future?

Anything that causes a shift in society is reflected in the art world — technology has evolved so drastically that it has changed modern society with home computers, wireless cable TV, the internet and social media.

Disposable cameras and camcorders gave people wider access to photography and videography. Now, everyone can film, document and share every increment of life through their smartphones.

Looking to the future, everyone is talking about AI and using it to think and create for people. As we continue this exploration, I hope we will continue to rely on our own abilities and creativity.

Q: Do you have any upcoming projects you’re able to tell us about?

“Metamorph” will open in April at the Monique Meloche Gallery during EXPO Chicago. The exhibition will showcase new paintings, sculptures and works on paper inspired by butterflies, transformation and resilient beauty.

This July, I will also present a new large-scale sculptural installation at the Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields.

My latest exhibition, “Parade,” recently opened at The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art. The synergy between my contemporary fabric works and the adorned, draped figures of European master paintings is striking. Available until January 2025, the gallery will feature various talks and performances starting this May through the fall.

Visit Samsung Art Store in The Frame to see more of Shinique Smith’s artwork.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics today announced that its 2024 edition of The Frame has earned Pantone Validated ArtfulColor certification from Pantone,1 a globally renowned authority in color standards. This certification highlights The Frame’s advanced adaptive color technology, which ensures an exceptional color reproduction capability that meets Pantone’s rigorous standards for authentic color that is nearly indistinguishable to the human eye under standard lighting conditions.

“Consumers are expecting more out of The Frame,” said Yongjae Kim, Executive Vice President of the Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “Our aim is to always provide the best possible customer experience, and in the case of The Frame, this is accomplished by giving users a display that portrays art in a way that is true-to-life. We’ve achieved this with the Pantone Validated ArtfulColor certification and will continue to work towards optimizing the viewing experience further.”

Pantone Validated ArtfulColor evaluates if displays can faithfully simulate a range of physical Pantone Color cards and Pantone SkinTone color cards under CIE2 standard illuminant D65, which portrays illumination that is more-or-less equivalent to that of the average midday light in Western or Northern Europe. The Frame is the world’s first display in the industry to meet this stringent validation, reaffirming Samsung’s leadership in color fidelity that was first recognized by previous Pantone Validated status across all QLED TVs in 2022.3

“After evaluating Samsung The Frame in standardized ambient lighting, we were very pleased with the high quality of the on-screen Pantone color reproduction,” said Iain Pike, Senior Global Director of Product and Licensing at Pantone. “These results are duly reflected in the award of the world’s first television to earn the Pantone Validated ArtfulColor designation. Visually, we can also confirm the lifelike quality of the displayed colors and skin tones compared to the physical swatch cards, as observed by our technical team during the evaluation process. This is a truly unique, value-added capability of Samsung The Frame we tested.”

The Frame’s Art Mode is specifically designed to exhibit artwork and photographs with true-to-life colors under standard lighting conditions such as at homes or galleries. It offers viewers an immersive and authentic art viewing experience by intelligently adjusting brightness and hues to optimize the image for ambient lighting conditions.

Leveraging Samsung’s cutting-edge QLED display technology, The Frame has previously received Pantone Validated and SkinTone Validated approvals for its precise emissive rendering of the full gamut of Pantone SkinTone colors and the vast spectrum of all 2,390 colors contained within the Pantone Matching System (PMS). The Frame also comes with a Matte Display — which significantly reduces glare and reflections — bringing the extensive collection of approximately 2,300 artworks from the Samsung Art Store to life.

For more information on The Frame, visit http://samsung.com.

1 Pantone company provides a universal language of color, called Pantone Matching System(PMS), that enables color-critical decisions through every stage of the workflow for brands and manufacturers.
      2 Commission Internationale de l’Éclairage or International Commission on Illumination, in English.
      3 https://news.samsung.com/global/2022-samsung-qled-and-lifestyle-tvs-recognized-by-top-global-certification-institutes-for-eye-comfort-safety-and-color-accuracy
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics today announced the addition of SeeColors mode on its 2023 TV and monitor lineup.1 The newly added accessibility feature provides various color settings based on degrees and types of color vision deficiency (CVD),2 offering an improved viewing experience.

SeeColors mode provides nine picture presets so users can select the option that is most suitable for them. The feature adjusts red, green and blue levels to ensure viewers can easily distinguish colors on the screen depending on their degree or type of CVD.

Originally released as an application in 2017, SeeColors helps those with CVD enjoy their screen as it was meant to be seen. Now, integrated in TV and monitor accessibility menus, this feature is more readily available to users. For consumers who have already purchased a 2023 model, a software update will be available to add SeeColors to the accessibility menu.

Samsung has earned “Color Vision Accessibility” certification from TÜV Rheinland,3 in acknowledgement of SeeColors mode’s ability to help those with CVD better enjoy content on Samsung screens. This recognition builds on Samsung’s commitment to accessibility, under the vision of “Screens Everywhere, Screens for All.”

“We are thrilled to introduce additional accessibility features, including SeeColors and Relumino mode, in our 2023 TV and monitor lineup to assist individuals with color blindness and low vision,” said Seokwoo Jason Yong, Executive Vice President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “Under the vision of ‘Screens Everywhere, Screens for All,’ we will continue to innovate and bring inclusive technologies closer to our consumers.”

For more information on Samsung’s accessibility features, please visit www.samsung.com.

1 SeeColors mode is available on Samsung’s 2023 TV and monitor lineup, including the Neo QLED, QLED, OLED, Smart Monitor and the G95SC gaming monitor.
      2 This feature is not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of any disease or medical problem. Any information found, acquired or accessed through this feature is made available for your convenience and should not be treated as medical advice.
      3 TÜV Rheinland, headquartered in Cologne, Germany, is a globally renowned testing organization that offers quality and safety certifications across various industries. The “Color Vision Accessibility” certification was awarded on June 7, 2023.
      View the full article