Quantcast

Best of Galaxy Store Awards 2019 Winner: Vienna Studios’ Tomas Joscak Speaks to Blending Design and Technology to Become a Top Galaxy Store Seller

STF News

Our second annual Best of Galaxy Store Awards were announced at the Samsung Developer Conference in October 2019! The awards recognize publishers who have stood out amongst the crowd in the Galaxy Store’s boutique of expertly-curated apps.

To kick off our Best of Galaxy Store Awards 2019 series, we spoke with Tomas Joscak from Vienna Studios, the winner of the award for Best Indie Watch Designer.

How did your path as a developer/designer begin?

I got my first smartwatch as a present from my brother Jakub, and I wanted to have my own designs as a watch face. After playing around I finally found a big opportunity at the Galaxy Store, where a lot of smartwatch users and later Vienna Studios fans liked my models.

Tell us a little about your career with Vienna Studios as a developer and a designer. How did you join these two creative forces together to make such a stunning product?

I have a strong technical background and PhD degrees from technical universities in Austria and Slovakia. This might be why I have an affinity for classic mechanical time piece design. On the other hand, I was a CEO of start-up company Dascanova for seven years. I do think that combination between engineering/developer skills and leading a store like a real business on the highest professional level possible, makes the success in this case.

How long have you been building for Samsung? We understand your watch face is exclusive to the Galaxy Store. Why choose Samsung?

My first free watch face was published only one year ago. I could not believe when I saw thousands of downloads in the statistic tool after the first day. I knew immediately that this is the right place, and there is a huge opportunity on this platform.

What was your inspiration for building watch faces for the Galaxy Store?

The design possibilities on a smartwatch are without limits. However, a lot of users like the look of a luxury mechanical watch. I do try to combine these two factors, and I do offer a classic design with functions and mechanisms, which could not be realized in the analog form.

2020-01-27-01-01.jpg

We noticed your all your watch faces contain significant features such as animations and motion. Can you share about your experience marrying design and technology? How does Samsung help you create the best user experience?

Samsung provides us with a powerful instrument where a watch face could be designed and composed without knowledge of coding. This helps to focus on the most important thing – what the user is looking for, which is a great design with all important functions included. I try to always add an extra element or factor, making my fans and customers happy with my products.

As an example, I use the gyroscopic 3D feature to reveal advanced information or functionality, such as a hidden, animated heart to show heart rate.

2020-01-27-01-02.jpg

Tell us about the Samsung Developer Program. How did you get involved?

I feel supported as a developer since day one, as I opened my first store.  However, after I was informed that I’m a Top Seller on the Galaxy Store, I joined the program, I now feel I am part of team. The most amazing experience was to meet all of the members live at SDC 2019 and to discuss future development opportunities, which we are now a part of.

What advice do you have for other developers, designers, or creators who want to grow with Samsung and get the most of the product family?

There is a lot of information, blogs, video-tutorials, and presentations out there. I was doing research, and learned from Samsung team members and successful designers, weeks before I started selling on the Galaxy Store. Advice on how to be successful was compressed into three words by Chis Shomo from Infinity Watchfaces: design, branding & promo-video.

Thanks to Tomas Joscak for sharing his insights on what it takes to blend creativity and technology to create an elegant, luxury watch design.  If you’re on a Samsung device, please check out his award-winning collection.

Be sure to follow us on @samsung_dev for more interviews with the ‘Best of’ 2019 winners in the coming weeks.

View the full blog at its source

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By STF News
      View the full blog at its source
    • By Alex
      Starting this year, Samsung's Tizen app store is no longer accessible, both to new and existing users. Last year in June, the company closed registrations and made the store available only to existing users and they could only get previously downloaded apps.

After December 31, 2021, however, the Tizen app store is permanently closed. So in case you are using a Samsung Z series smartphone, it might be time to switch over to Android or iOS. The last Samsung Z4 phone running Tizen OS was released back in 2017 so it was kind of an expected turn of events.
      It seems like the company is dropping its Tizen project after this year's Galaxy Watch4 series is running on Google's Wear OS and all future Galaxy watches will do the same.
      Source: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_shuts_down_the_tizen_app_store-news-52598.php
    • By STF News
      Samsung Electronics announced that its 32-inch Odyssey Neo G8 monitor earned a Best of Innovation Award in the Gaming category at CES 2022.

Samsung’s lineup received 2022 Honoree accolades across the board, including for the 55-inch Odyssey Ark, the 49-inch Odyssey Neo G9, the 32-inch Odyssey Neo G8, the 34-inch Odyssey G8, the 32-inch Smart Monitor M8 and the 32-inch High Resolution Monitor S8. This marks the ninth accolade that Samsung monitors have received at this year’s CES, setting a new record for the lineup at the world’s largest electronics show.

Sponsored by the CTA, which owns and organizes CES, the CES Innovation Awards program spotlights standout examples of design and engineering across multiple consumer product categories. This marks the sixth straight year that Samsung monitors have earned CES Innovation Awards, solidifying the company’s position as the global leader in the gaming monitor market.

Check out the infographic below to view this year’s complete list of award-winning monitors.

View the full article
    • By STF News
      Since it opened in 2004, the Leeum Museum of Art has earned a reputation as a cultural space where traditional, modern and international artworks that span a range of eras and styles are brought together. After the pandemic required it to close for nineteen months, the renovated museum has now reopened with new exhibits that include advanced technological displays which provide enhanced viewing of its expansive collection.

As technology continues to enter the art world in ways that haven’t been seen before, the display and creation of digital art are becoming increasingly common. Amid this climate, Samsung Electronics has partnered with the Leeum Museum of Art to promote the convergence of art and technology and allow people to experience 5,000 years of history with a curated collection in the Art Store on The Frame.

Samsung Newsroom reached out to Kwang-bae Lee, a curator at the Leeum Museum of Art, to get the inside scoop on the museum’s reopening, its collections and its collaboration with Samsung.

Transcending Time and Space With Artworks That Span Eras and Styles
      ▲ Exterior view of the Leeum Museum of Art

The Samsung Foundation of Culture established the Leeum Museum of Art in Hannam-dong, Seoul, Korea in 2004 in order to preserve its cultural assets and share them with the public. It was designed by acclaimed architects, Mario Botta, Jean Nouvel and Rem Koolhaas, and is highly regarded for its architectural value and harmonious design which blends with nature. With its unfailing dedication to holding exhibitions and showcasing its expansive collection, the museum now has one of the most broadly representative and varied collections in South Korea. Today, the Leeum is known as an open museum where various artistic styles, from traditional Korean art to vibrant and modern contemporary pieces from both Korea and abroad, can coexist. The museum has also been utilizing digital technology in its exhibits for the past ten years with this technology allowing, old artworks to be displayed in new and exciting ways. In this way, the Leeum seeks to head toward the future while not forgetting about the past. The museum is currently using a variety of state-of-the-art devices for both exhibition and education purposes.

▲ The interior of the Leeum Museum of Art

During the renovation period, the Leeum launched new permanent exhibits featuring both traditional and modern artworks. It also revived a special exhibition entitled “Human, 7 questions”, which is designed to offer visitors a chance to reflect on humanity as the source of art and contemplate the meaning of human existence during times of crisis. It has also installed a massive Media Wall in its lobby, allowing users to appreciate the artwork of Jennifer Steinkamp upon entering the museum.

“Following the Leeum’s reopening, people seem to be paying special attention to the new collections and special exhibitions we have opened,” said Lee. “I am excited to have visitors come in and see the new and improved space for themselves as they enjoy the full experience the renovated museum offers.”

Samsung and Leeum Usher in a New Era of Digital Art
      The partnership between Samsung Electronics and the Leeum is also playing an important role in the ongoing unification of art and technology. Thanks to the fact that works curated by the museum are included on The Frame, users can now view them not just outside of the museum, but across the world. As Korean culture continues to grow more popular and expand into new countries, the introduction of this collection on the Art Store opens new opportunities for users around the world to experience the beauty of Korean traditional art.

▲ Lidded Bowl (National Treasure), 11th-12th century (Goryeo Dynasty)

Curators spent a great amount of time and effort selecting a collection that shines a light on the artistry and aesthetic of Korean art for display on The Frame. Because of this, viewers can now enjoy beautiful patterns on metal, subtly colored pottery and vibrant paintings from the comfort of their homes.

“Technology allows visitors to appreciate finer details in an artwork – whether it is a picture, a text, or a voice – that they may not have noticed before,” Lee said. “As technologies continue developing, our appreciation and understanding of art will expand beyond what we could ever have imagined.”

▲ Daoist Immortals, Kim Hong Do, 1776 (Joseon Dynasty)

Samsung Electronics and Leeum have been cooperating on using technology to promote art since the museum opened in 2004. Beyond digital art displays, this partnership has also demonstrated how digital archives can play an important role in preserving historical legacies.

“In this era, when we have access to abundance of masterpieces, the best of art and technology have to come together to complement one another,” Lee commented. “We hope our collaboration with Samsung will eventually come to be regarded as a masterpiece in and of itself.”

The collection of artworks curated by the Leeum is available in the Art Store on The Frame today.

Check out some of the Leeum’s top picks for The Frame below.

View the full article
    • By STF News
      Samsung’s The Frame Art Store not only offers customization to fit any home décor and stunning QLED picture quality, but also transforms the user’s display into a window to the world. In October, the Art Store is introducing its partnership with Whanki Museum and the collection of world-renowned artist Kim Whanki.

As a pioneer of Korean abstract painting, Kim Whanki created his unique and characteristic art with refined, formative expression that is based on Korean lyricism. He was recognized for his artworks in centers for modern art that include Paris and New York.

Samsung Electronics has been partnering with Whanki Museum since 2018 to introduce a range of Kim Whanki’s artworks to global customers and provide easier access to Korean modern art.

Samsung Newsroom reached out to Whanki Museum curator Min-A Sung to talk about how art can serve as a medium for both communication and empathy.

Fostering Artistic Energy and ‘Art For All’
      ▲ Exterior view of Whanki Museum

Whanki Museum, established in 1992, creates a variety of artistic and cultural content through the research, exhibition and publication of the work of contemporary artists. The museum also provides educational programs and seeks to embody the philosophy of ‘Art for All’ by running a range of programs that expose disadvantaged groups to art and culture. “Whanki Museum will become an open venue for facilitating communication and building empathy based on artistic energy,” says the museum representative. “The partnership with The Frame Art Store provides increased opportunities for us to share our culture and art.”

▲ Inside Whanki Museum

How Samsung Communicates With Global Consumers Through The Frame Art Store
      The museum representative also mentions that the ways people consume art are changing. “Art now influences our day-to-day lives,” they say. “In order to keep up with these shifts, we need to introduce new ways for people to experience art, and try to partner with experts to combine art and IT technology.”

▲ Morning Star, 1964

The representative adds that they have high hopes for the collaboration between the museum and Samsung. “Vivid color and contrast, which deliver a refined sense of rhythm, are key aspects of Kim’s artistic style,” they say. “The Frame’s QLED 4K display is the perfect medium for his work to be showcased to viewers around the world.”

With Quantum Dot technology that allows more than a billion colors to be displayed at 100% color volume, The Frame allows artistic intent to come through vividly on a bright screen with accurate color reproduction.

Master KIM Whanki’s Artistic Vision Realized on The Frame
      Whanki Museum has introduced ten of Kim’s major works to The Frame Art Store since 2018. This has allowed users to enjoy major works such as Deer and Eternity Song, as well as a variety of pieces that were not easily accessible to the public before.

▲ 12-V-70 #172, 1970

In addition to displaying Kim’s artworks, The Frame Art Store also provides background information on the pieces. “The curatorial department has created descriptions for each artwork to provide resources that deliver a range of perspectives and introduce Kim’s artistic vision to more people,” relates the representative. “We hope the detailed explanations provided by Whanki Museum will help users experience the pieces in vivid and stunning quality, just as though they were viewing them in a gallery.”

The Frame Art Store offers a comprehensive, ever-expanding collection of artworks to satisfy customers’ needs and match any environment or atmosphere. Its catalog now includes around 1,500 artworks from a range of periods and styles that were sourced from 40 famous museums and galleries and are displayed in exceptional 4K resolution.

View the full article