Quantcast

Test Your Watch Face on Real Devices in Remote Test Lab

STF News

2020-06-26-01-banner-v2.jpg

If you are a watch face designer and want to distribute your watch face, it is highly recommended that you test your watch face on a real device before publishing it. While Galaxy Watch Studio (GWS) provides an emulator (the Run window) on which to run your watch face, it is not the same as running it on an actual device.

Remote Test Lab (RTL) is a service that allows you to test your app on a real device, access the device remotely through the web, and it’s free! RTL is an amazing solution if you can’t buy a device or if you want to test your watch face on different watch models. This reduces your hardware costs for testing a watch face.

Design a Watch Face

If you don’t have a watch face to test, here is how to create a simple design using GWS.

Launch GWS and create a new project. For simplicity, add a background, analog clock, and digital clock. The digital clock is used to add a time zone selector. The intention behind using the time zone selector is because we can’t test the tap action using the Run window. So, a real device is needed to test the time zone selector. If you want to know how to make a time zone selector, you can read this blog.

After completing the design, you have to build the project so that a .tpk file is created. Go to Project > Build, set the Target API version, enter the password for your author certificate, and click Build (see image below). If you don’t change the location path of the workspace folder, then the .tpk file is saved in C:\Users\user_name\GearWatchDesigner\workspace.

Figure 1

Get Started with RTL

There are a few system requirements to run RTL on your PC. Read about Remote Test Lab from here. The system requirements are:

• A Samsung account
  • Standard web browser with JavaScript support
  • Java Runtime Environment 7 or later with Java Web Start.
  • Internet environment where port 2600 is available.

First, go to Remote Test Lab and sign in using your Samsung account. If you don’t have a Samsung account, create one and then sign in. Next, click GET STARTED.
Now, select Watch from left sidebar.

2020-06-26-01-02.jpg?class=img-thumbnail

There are four types of devices and OS versions that are available (on 26th June, 2020):

Device Name Model Name OS Version
Galaxy Watch SM-R800 Tizen 4.0.0.2
Gear Sport SM-R600 Tizen 3.0.0.2
Gear S3 SM-R765A Tizen 3.0.0.2
Gear Fit2 SM-R360 Tizen 2.3.1.6

Choose a device based on your requirements. In the following example, Galaxy Watch is selected for testing.

1. Select the OS version for the Galaxy Watch.

2. Select any available device from the Device List. In the device name, IN, KR, or US indicates the country in which the device is located. It is better to choose the closest country to avoid latency issues. For example, if you are in Korea, you should select KR.

3. Choose the amount of time to reserve the device from Reserve Time. Higher reservation times require more credits (credits are free and you receive a limited number every day), so it would be wise if you don’t reserve unnecessary time.

2020-06-26-01-03.jpg

4. After selecting all options for your selected device, click Start. The details of your selected device are shown.

2020-06-26-01-04.jpg?class=img-thumbnail

If a download window displays, click on start to download the JNLP file. Run the JNLP file to download the RTL client. The download window displays when the RTL Client is downloaded for the first time or an updated version is available. After launching the RTL client, click Run.

2020-06-26-01-05.jpg

The time to launch a device on RTL may vary depending on your network environment. A warning box appears. Read the warnings and click** I understand and wish to proceed.** Next, choose the language of your selected device.

2020-06-26-01-06.jpg

Test Your Watch Face on RTL

After starting the device, follow the steps below to install and run your watch face.

1. Right-click on the watch to launch the context menu. To learn about all features of the context menu, read RTL client features.

2. Click on Test > Install Application
    2020-06-26-01-07.jpg?width=300px

3. From the Look in dropdown menu, navigate to the directory that contains the .tpk file which you want to test.
    2020-06-26-01-08.jpg?width=450px

4. Select the .tpk file and click Open. A dialog box shows the progress of opening the selected file on the remote device.
    2020-06-26-01-09.jpg

5. Click Install from the Application Manager. Click OK after installing the watch face.
    2020-06-26-01-10.jpg

6. Click on the default watch face.

7. Rotate the bezel clockwise or counter-clockwise to select your installed watch face.

8. When you find your installed watch face, click on it to launch it.
    2020-06-26-01-11.jpg

9. Now, click on the digital clock to change the time zone for testing the time zone selector tap action.
    2020-06-26-01-12.jpg

10. Search for and select your desired city to change the time zone
    2020-06-26-01-13.jpg?width=550px

Exit from the Remote Device

It is recommended to uninstall your application from the remote device after completing your test. Tap on the watch face and click on the delete icon to uninstall the watch face.
2020-06-26-01-14.jpg?width=700px

Now, right-click on the watch and click Exit to close the remote device.
2020-06-26-01-15.jpg?width=700px

Using RTL, you can test your watch face designs on different watch models and different Tizen versions of your targeted users. You can do it anywhere, even if you are not at home or in the office. Remote Test Lab allows you to test your watch faces on many devices even if you have a small budget.

View the full blog at its source

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By STF News
    • By Alex
      Not long ago a leaker claimed that an upcoming Samsung smartwatch would run Android (presumably meaning Wear OS), and now we've seen evidence that this may well be true.
      Twitter user Ivan_Meler (who shared the data with XDA Developers) found reference to a device codenamed 'Merlot' in some source code for the Samsung Galaxy S20, and alongside it there was mention of Wear OS.
      That therefore suggests both that this is a wearable, and more importantly that it's one that runs Google's smartwatch operating system.

That said, there's no indication here of exactly which smartwatch 'Merlot' is, so we can't definitively say that it's the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4. It could alternatively be the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 3 or something else altogether. Perhaps even the first in a new line of Wear OS wearables from Samsung.
      Whatever it is though, this seems close to a confirmation that Samsung has a Wear OS wearable in the works, and even with a previous leak backing it up, that surprises us slightly, as in many ways Tizen (which current Samsung smartwatches use) is a superior smartwatch operating system.
      Still, a Samsung wearable powered by Wear OS could be just what's needed to reinvigorate Google's struggling operating system, so we're certainly intrigued to see how it will turn out.
      It's not clear right now when this wearable will land (assuming it exists), but as soon as it does you can be sure that TechRadar will test it in full, and tell you whether the switch to Wear OS was a smart one.

Source: https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-galaxy-watch-4-looking-ever-more-likely-to-run-wear-os-rather-than-tizen
    • By STF News
      Design inspiration is all around us; however, tapping into it is another story. Fortunately, there are members of the Samsung Developers community who’ve cracked the code and defeated ‘designer’s block.’ We connected with several watch faces/themes designers and are excited to share their advice, creative processes, and sources of design inspiration in this blog series.
      This week, we’re featuring Pedro Machado from Health Face. A designer from Spain, Pedro focuses on creating sport watch faces designed for daily use. Read on to learn about how he got into designing watch faces and how he finds inspiration for his stylish and functional designs.
      When and why did you start designing watch faces?
      In 2017, I read a news story from Samsung promoting the design of watch faces and that explained some features of the Galaxy Watch Studio program (formerly Galaxy Watch Designer). Afterwards, I was curious to try designing my own personalized watch face, since a few months prior my parents gave me a Samsung smartwatch. I found watch face design interesting and started research on how I could start creating designs for others to enjoy on their devices.

What does your design process look like? Do you have a strict protocol or is it more free flowing?
      I like to use my free time as a chance to get inspired and come up with ideas that I can later transform into a design. Once I have several ideas in mind, I put them on paper to see the possible combinations and shapes they can take on a watch. When the idea is clear or almost ready, I start preparing the design on my computer. Once I have all the elements created, I mount my design in GWS and test it on 4-5 devices to check that everything works correctly.
      How has your design approach evolved over time?
      In the beginning, I created varied designs of all styles, from formal and minimalist to fun with many patterns. However, after a year of experience and analyzing statistics, I concluded that sport designs that take advantage of watch characteristics are received well by users. That’s when I decided to create Health Face, focused on sports and daily life that many users can identify with and use to get the information they need.
      What was the inspiration for your most successful watch face and how did you make it a reality?
      I remember being inspired to create one of my most successful watch faces at the SDC19 conference in San José, California. There was a prototype car with some very striking speed markers that gave me the idea to design a watch face with similar markers – I also thought it would contrast well with smart devices.

Health Face Nº58
      How do you strike a balance between the vision you have for a watch face and its functionality? Is this the most challenging part of the design process?
      I agree that this part is the most challenging, since sometimes an idea is difficult to translate to the screen. Plus, there’s the added consideration of the user. If they have vision problems, they might need larger letters and numbers, and this can pose a challenge to your original idea.
      To achieve a good balance between the initial idea and the final product, it’s important from the beginning to think about all the possible errors or obstacles you may encounter with your design. That way, if any problem arises, they will likely be small and easy to solve.
      How do you navigate guidelines without compromising the integrity of your design?
      When you’re starting out, it’s impossible to know all the restrictions. You must be patient with yourself and learn from your experiences. Eventually you’ll learn how to navigate those guidelines and create great designs.
      What’s the one piece of advice you’d give a designer who is stuck in a creative rut?
      My advice to a designer who can’t think of a new design is to not get overwhelmed by the lack of inspiration. I recommend disconnecting for an afternoon. Go outside, play a sport, relax and clear your mind to help free space for new ideas. The world around us is constantly sending signals and clues to make new designs, so take advantage of it!
      Thanks to Pedro for sharing helpful advice on the design process, staying creative and finding inspiration for Galaxy Watch Face designs. You can connect with Pedro and Health Face on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
      Designers, are you ready to take the next step and sell your work on Samsung devices? Submit your Galaxy Watch Faces or Themes portfolio before the submission window closes on February 23rd.
      Stay tuned for the final installment in our ‘Prime Time Design’ series featuring Ramon Campos from Friss in Motion and follow us on Twitter at @samsung_dev for our latest updates.
    • By Swapnil
      I want to add a self signed certificate in Tizen watch to access secured web services.
    • By STF News
      In order to offer the best experience for consumers in Galaxy Store, watch face sellers must first be approved to publish. This approval is done by submitting an initial watch face design that demonstrates your ability to create exceptional, unique, high-quality watch faces and abide by copyright laws. This process is called a Watch Face Design Review Request.
      Approval of new designers by the Galaxy Watch Review Team is very limited and only exceptional designers will be granted access to publishing their watch faces in Galaxy Store.
      When can new designers apply?
      Applications are only accepted during certain times of the year, this is called the “Open Window”. Visit the Watch Face Design Review page to check the status of the current application window and future open window dates.
      Open Window Status

What are the application requirements?
      Applications must be submitted as a single (multi-page) PDF and include the following information:
      Personal Information
      A cover letter (in English) that contains a brief paragraph saying who you are, why you want to sell watch faces, and how your designs will enhance a Galaxy Watch owner’s experience If you are a business, a copy of DBA or articles of association or organization Experiences that qualify you to design and sell watch faces such as certificates or diplomas from design schools or universities, design awards, or other design experiences Links to your design portfolio (website, Instagram, Facebook page, or other social media sites) List of unique features or design elements that set your designs apart from others Understanding of Intellectual Property rights, specifically section 3.2 of the App Distribution Guide, regarding Intellectual Property. State in a few sentences what Intellectual Property rights are and who is responsible. Watch Face Designs
      Include up to five watch face designs for review. One image of the main screen of your watch face design at a minimum dimension of 360 x 360 pixels. One image of your watch face applied to a watch. See below for details on generating images, tools you can use, and information about how to capture your watch face design. Optionally, provide any additional images that demonstrate the features of your watch face that are not shown in the main screen image (animations, tap reveal buttons, etc.). All watch face designs should be added as separate pages to your application PDF. Do NOT include binary files such as the .tpk or .gwd files.
      Submitting copyright protected content
      If you are submitting copyrighted content, you must include the license or official documentation showing permission to use the content with your application.
      Copyright protected content may include, but is not limited to brand identifiers, public institutions, sports clubs/teams, media, products, landmarks, images of people, and original or artistic renderings of copyright protected content.
      If a license or official documentation showing permission is not included, your application will be rejected.
      How to apply for review
      When the window for applying is open,
      Go to Watch Face Design Review Request.
      Log in using your Samsung account. If you do not have an account, sign up here. Provide the required information explained in the Application Requirements section above. Once the application window closes the Galaxy Watch Review Team may take several weeks to review all applications. At the completion of the review, applicants will be notified by email whether or not they have been selected to become watch face publishers.
      After a designer has been approved, all future watch face designs are only tested for functionality before being published in Galaxy Store. The Seller Portal Review Team analyzes the user interface, confirming that there are no issues before each watch face can be published. This review process is not related to the Watch Face Design Review that permits you to become a watch face publisher.
      Resources for generating watch face images
      Below are links to tools for assisting with generating the required images when submitting your application. Use of these resources are optional.
      If you used Galaxy Watch Studio, from the Run window you can view and capture images of your watch face and your watch face applied to a Galaxy Watch (images are 512 x 512 pixels). View this tutorial video on capturing images using Galaxy Watch Studio. If you tested your design on a watch, you can capture a screenshot of your design using the watch. (images are 360 x 360 pixels). Once you have an image of your watch face, use the Galaxy Store Asset Creator or Lifestyle Photo Asset Packs to help create additional images (requires Adobe Photoshop). Submit your finest
      The Galaxy Watch Review Team wants to see your best! Simple watch face designs may be attractive for some, but they do not showcase your design skills. Submit designs that show your ability to create unique watch faces with a comprehensive user interface.
      Simple Watch Face Design
      The watch face designs you submit should only contain your original artwork and not the components provided with Galaxy Watch Studio. Your design should include custom imported watch hands and custom component graphics.
      Default Galaxy Watch Studio Components
      Be unique!
      There are thousands of designs available for download from Galaxy Store. How will you make your design stand out from the rest? For example, if you want to design a watch face that shows battery usage and health content, using the default components provided by Galaxy Watch Studio is not enough. Create your own icons and develop your own sophisticated style.
      The following watch faces are examples of rejected designs that show battery usage and health content. These designs are not sophisticated enough to show a designer’s capabilities.

Content appearance and arrangement
      Are you providing enough information? Are you providing too much information? Are your components easy to read and understand in a glance? For example, the color or opacity of a background image or component may make the watch face difficult to read. Make sure your content is organized and easy to understand even basic information.
      The following watch faces are examples that were rejected because the information provided in the design was not easy to read.

Image quality
      Another common issue with rejected applications is that the designs are low resolution or low quality. All images should be well-defined and sharp. Images generated from a Galaxy Watch screen capture or Galaxy Watch Studio (provided that embedded images used in the design are also high quality) are acceptable. The native resolution of a screen capture from a Galaxy Watch is 360 x 360 pixels. The native resolution of a screen capture from Galaxy Watch Studio is 512 x 512 pixels. Note that if you generate your image differently, just because an image matches one of these resolutions, it does not guarantee the image is high quality. A blurry image in high resolution is still a blurry image.
      Overall designs or embedded images that are pixelated or blurry will be rejected. If your design purposely contains pixelated or blurry images, please provide an explanation in the comments section of the review request. The examples below show a pixelated, a blurry, and sharp a watch face image.

Submitted images
      A minimum of two images of your design must be submitted with your design review request. One of the images can be just a screenshot of the watch face, but the other must show how the design is displayed on a watch. For example, if the following image is submitted, the Galaxy Watch Review Team would not know what the design would look like on an actual watch. Would the watch face be centered inside the image, would the entire image fill the watch face, or would the image need to be cropped?
      Example of an image that does not meet submission criteria
      Examples of well-designed watch faces
      The following are examples of high-quality watch faces that meet or exceed the expectations of the Galaxy Watch Review Team.

AWF New Digital
      by amoledwatchfaces

Matveyan - Round Rainbow
      by MatveyAn

USA Florencia
      by USA Design

WAW | FlashY
      by WAW Watch Faces
      Application rejection
      The following are common reasons why your application may be rejected:
      Design includes copyright protected content without license or official documentation showing permission to use. Watch face design is too simple, not unique, not creative. Poor appearance or design execution of watch face. Watch face images are low quality. Required watch face images are not included. If your application is rejected, we encourage you to apply again during the next open window.
      Get ready to submit!
      The Galaxy Watch Review Team is always looking for talented and unique watch face designers to sell their apps in Galaxy Store. Do your research on watch faces and take your time to design the strongest, most unique watch faces you can. Once you have an extremely strong portfolio and have completed all of the application requirements, submit your application during the next open window. We’d love to see you in Galaxy Store!