Quantcast

Adobe MAX 2020: Highlights for Designers

2020-10-30-02-banner.jpg

For the past 2 years, I have attended Adobe MAX in Los Angeles, the world’s largest creativity conference. As a graphic designer, attending Adobe MAX in person has been a career highlight. Hanging out and having long conversations with the likes of famed graphic designer Aaron Draplin, world-renowned artist Mr. Doodle, and Hollywood blockbuster visual artist Andrew Kramer are experiences I will never forget.

Attending diverse sessions on the latest Adobe software tools, learning social media and marketing tips from the pros, and getting my hands dirty with the many workshops, taught me more in three days than I would have ever imagined. More importantly, it was the connections I made, all of the amazing people that would come by the Samsung booth. Those interactions were my opportunity to share my knowledge and grow my network.

Pandemic 2020

When I first learned that due to the pandemic Adobe would turn MAX into a virtual conference, I was apprehensive. How would they capture the magic that is Adobe MAX? Easy. Get the top names in the entertainment and creativity worlds, produce over 350 virtual sessions, labs and workshops, and don’t charge anyone! The world’s largest creativity conference was going to be free and available to all around the world.

For three days in October, I watched, learned and listen, taking in as much insight and intelligence as I could. The best part? You can too! Adobe MAX is still free and available on-demand anytime, anywhere, for anyone. Head on over to www.adobe.com/max and immerse yourself in the world’s largest creativity conference.

Designer Highlights from Adobe MAX 2020

As a designer, there were so many sessions to choose from; software, marketing, social media, and more. Below is my list of key sessions not to be missed:

What I’ve Learned Since March 15: Changes, Lessons, and Enlightenments

Aaron Draplin
Session: OD6300

Aaron Draplin is not only an inspirational designer, he is an inspirational speaker. I would highly suggest that you start your Adobe Max experience listening to how life changed for Aaron due to the pandemic, the adjustments he made, and the lessons he learned.

2020-10-30-02-01.jpg

Session Description: Everything changed for all of us on March 15. Here’s one humble account from Draplin Design Co.’s Aaron Draplin about how he tried to keep up with the times, and what he learned from his 5,000-square-foot universe. Projects from the work front, but also, simply around the house. Most importantly, Aaron will relate how he connected to the world through his actions, contributions, and willingness to help, all from his locked-down, backyard world. Some stuff went big. Some stuff fell flat. He’ll talk about the ups and downs of the last “surreal” six months and how he says it changed him in exciting ways.

What's New in Photoshop? Features, Time-Saving Tools, and More

Stephen Nielson
Session: S6120

Photoshop is such an important software tool for all designers and it is hard to stay up-to-date with the latest features. All too often I update the software, but then don’t take the time to figure out what is new. I enjoyed this session, not only for insight into new tools for making patterns and shapes, but also applying presets to help with productivity.

2020-10-30-02-02.jpg

Session Description: Join Director of Photoshop Product Management Stephen Nielson to hear an overview of all the new Photoshop features and how they can help you do even more with this amazing app. He’ll explore new features and performance enhancements that make Photoshop even more powerful, while also highlighting easier ways to accomplish common tasks. Whether you use Photoshop all the time or once in a while, you’ll leave with new ideas to spark your creativity as well as to put to use immediately.

You’ll be inspired as Stephen shares the latest and greatest in Photoshop:

• Brand new features and ones you may have missed
  • Timesaving tools
  • Ideas for improving your Photoshop productivity

A Type Safari Through East London

Sarah Hyndman
Session: S6117

I often tell people that the class I learned the most from in college was typography. What are typefaces? Why do some fonts just work and others fail to bring value to your design project? I enjoyed this session with Sarah Hyndman as she took us on a tour of a London neighborhood to explain how typography impacts the way you feel.

2020-10-30-02-03.jpg

Session Description: Do you judge a shop by its sign or a pub by its lettering? You can tell a lot about a neighborhood through its typography. Join Type Tasting founder Sarah Hyndman as she reveals how letterforms create a unique typographic DNA that tells the story of an area. From hidden Victorian lettering to how letterforms change with shifting cultural attitudes, Sarah will share highlights from her past walking tours. Find out how the signs over the doors of businesses tell significant stories about design history over the last 150 years.

In this fun and exciting session, you’ll discover:

• What you can learn about design history by looking at the different signs in a city
  • How typography is vibrant, exciting, and all around us — not preserved in an academic book
  • That the signs over shops and bars can show how cultural attitudes have changed and what trends are popular today

Mobile Shooting 101: Shooting Awesome Videos with Your Phone

Luisa Winters
Session: S6600

Videos play such an important part when marketing your apps. Posting videos on social media, creating promos for YouTube, these are all critical to the success of your apps. I often tell developers that creating an amazing app is only half of the challenge. You need to be able to market your app for people to discover, and video is a great way. In this session, I learned tons of great tips for filming, and I can do it all on my Samsung phone with the Adobe Premiere Rush app!

2020-10-30-02-04.jpg

Session Description: We all have a smartphone or tablet that shoots video. Why not use it to start shooting videos like a pro? Join veteran content creator Luisa Winters to learn how to shoot videos using Adobe Premiere Rush on your smartphone or tablet. Luisa will cover the basics of shooting video — lighting, sound, framing, and more — so you have everything you need once you start to edit. You’ll discover how to shoot original content using the tools that you already have: Premiere Rush and your phone or tablet.

In this session, you’ll learn how to:

• Plan your shoot the easy way
  • Use artificial and natural lighting
  • Frame and balance your shots
  • Capture sound

Make It About YOU!

These are just a few of the session highlights I experienced during Adobe MAX 2020. With so much more to discover, be sure to explore Adobe MAX 2020 for yourself. Take that newfound knowledge and apply that expertise to the great things you create for Samsung.

As you learn and improve your own designs, we're here to help. Join us in the Samsung Developer Forums or reach out to us on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. Stay informed with the latest technologies and events by signing up for the Samsung Developers monthly newsletter.

View the full blog at its source

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics cemented its position as the global leader of the commercial display market, defending marking the largest global share for 15 consecutive years.1

Having entered the commercial display market with a full B2B signage in 2008, Samsung continues to make history of digital signage with consistent technological innovation, differentiated solutions, and market leadership.

Samsung started by achieving first place in global market share of digital signage in 2009. Then in 2012, Samsung opened the LCD renaissance by introducing two transparent LCD models. In 2017, the world’s first cinema LED, Onyx, was unveiled, presenting a new standard for theater screens with unbelievable picture quality and infinite contrast ratio.

Over a decade and a half of “firsts” has led to myriad breakthroughs in digital signage. The world’s first modular display “The Wall,” introduced in 2018, has freely adjustable screen size and shape, expanding the scope of digital signage to various spaces, like art museums and department stores.

As demand for immersive content increased, Samsung created a new version of “The Wall” exclusively for virtual production studios in 2023. With ultimate picture quality, it overcomes the challenges of physical on-site sets and leads to a reduction in production time and cost. The Wall for Virtual Production continues to change the landscape of the content production with a top-tier customizable solution.

Here’s a look at the footsteps of Samsung Signage, which has been solidifying its #1 position globally for 15 consecutive years2 with innovative display technology.

1, 2 Omdia Q4 2023 Public Display Report; Based on sales volume. Note: consumer TVs are excluded.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics has once again demonstrated its dominance in the global TV market, marking an unprecedented 18-year streak at the forefront of the industry.

Market research firm Omdia reported that Samsung has achieved a 30.1% share of the global TV market in 2023, reinforcing its status as the industry leader since 2006. This success is largely due to the company’s strategic focus on premium and large-screen TV categories, driven by its cutting-edge QLED and OLED models.

Since its launch in 2017, Samsung’s QLED TV lineup, including the latest Neo QLED models, has surpassed cumulative sales of 40 million units. In 2023 alone, the QLED lineup achieved sales of 8.31million units.

▲ Samsung is ranked No. 1 global TV brand for 18th consecutive year

Samsung asserted notable leadership in the premium TV sector – specifically for TVs over 75 inches and priced above $2,500. The company has recorded an impressive 60.5% market share in terms of sales for TVs priced over $2,500, while also maintaining a lead with 33.9% sales share for TVs over 75 inches. In addition, thanks to robust sales of 98-inch models, TVs over the 90 inches have maintained the lead with a 30.4% market share.

Building on its success in the ultra-large and high-end TV market, Samsung has also made significant strides in the OLED sector. The company’s OLED TV lineup recorded 1.01 million units sold in 2023, capturing a market share of 22.7%. With the expanded OLED lineup in 2024, Samsung’s market share in the OLED sector is projected to surge in 2024.

“We are proud to be recognized as the market leader in the global TV sector for 18 consecutive years, a testament to the enduring trust and loyalty our customers place in Samsung,” stated SW Yong, President and Head of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “We are deeply committed to advancing the industry, moving beyond exceptional picture quality to offer more meaningful and valuable experiences.”

At CES 2024, Samsung Electronics unveiled the groundbreaking NQ8 AI Gen3 processor, heralding the start of the AI Screen Era. The advancement in state-of-the-art chipsets and capabilities is set to redefine the smart TV domain, integrating sophisticated AI powered by Tizen OS to establish AI screens as center of the smart home innovation.

2024 is shaping up to be another year of significant innovation for Samsung. With advancements in processors and cutting-edge AI features, Samsung is on course to further transform home entertainment and set new benchmarks in the TV industry.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics has been recognized as a leader in the global soundbar market, according to the market research firm, FutureSource Consulting. A newly released report published on February 28 notes that Samsung topped the soundbar market for the ninth year in a row, commanding 20.2% in market share and accounting for 18.4% of the industry sales volume in 2022.

Samsung soundbars, including the premium Q-series lineup, are expertly crafted and fine-tuned for powerful and immersive sound quality, enhanced compatibility with TVs, and sleek and modern design. Features such as SpaceFit Sound have been praised by customers and reviewers for calibrating sounds to fit the acoustic properties of each space for tailor-made sound experiences.

In fact, Samsung soundbars have impressed industry experts and reviewers, with outlets such as AVForums selecting the HW-Q990B as the “Best in Class” Award winner for 2022 and Newsweek commenting that the HW-S800B “delivers impressive room-filling sound” in such a compact form.

This year Samsung is taking its soundbar lineup to the next level with captivating cinematic sounds and premium audio features to win the hearts of consumers and home theater enthusiasts.

▲ HW-Q990C

Samsung’s HW-Q990C is a flagship Q-series soundbar with an impressive 11.1.4-channel setup and Dolby Atmos audio. It comes with the latest Q-Symphony 3.0 feature, which analyzes and processes voice channels and audio elements to deliver perfectly synchronized audio using every speaker in both the TV and the soundbar. It also comes with SpaceFit Sound Pro, which calibrates sounds to match the acoustic properties of each space, and Game Mode Pro, which optimizes sounds by game genres for added realism when played through Samsung Gaming Hub.

“Samsung is committed to providing our customers with an industry-leading home entertainment experience that meets the evolving needs of our customers,” said Cheolgi Kim, EVP of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “Samsung soundbars are the perfect immersive match for Samsung TVs, exemplifying the pinnacle of cinematic sound with smart audio features and enhanced connectivity.”

According to Futuresource, the global soundbar market, which has been showing steady growth of about 5.7% over the past three years, recorded 23.16 million units in sales in 2022 and is expected to reach 26 million in sales by 2025.

For more information, please visit https://www.samsung.com.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Technology is no stranger to the art world, and people are still finding new ways to use technology in art every day. Samsung Art Store, for example, works with galleries, museums, independent artists and artist collectives to bring unique digital art experiences to users of The Frame on a brilliant, Matte display. One of these partners, Noah Kalina, is a photographer who finds that technology such as the Art Store can help connect artists to their audiences in new and previously unimaginable ways.

▲ Noah Kalina

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Noah, whose work focuses primarily on the passage of time, to discuss how his work has changed through the years and what the future of display technology might have in store.

The Stories Behind Noah Kalina’s Work
      Q: What drew you to a career as an artist, particularly as a photographer?

In high school, I developed a passion for photography and attended the School of Visual Arts in New York City, where I received my BFA in photography. After college, I worked as a freelance editorial and commercial photographer, photographing portraits, landscapes and architectural interiors for various magazines and companies. By being exposed to different people and places, my personal projects were then influenced, and my commercial work allowed me to pursue my own art practice.

Q: Where do you find creative inspiration now?

I still turn to social media platforms to discover new work and find inspiration. I like to see what my friends and fellow artists are working on, so I tend to visit those websites on a daily basis to draw inspiration. Movies are another source for my future projects, and I watch at least four or five movies a week. I take long drives and listen to music because I can think about and conceptualize new ideas there. I also constantly flip through my art book collection to discover more obscure references.

Q: Others have described your work as “capturing the passage of time,” largely due to your well-known Everyday project that documented your face everyday for 20 years. How would you describe your own work?

I have always been interested in the passage of time; over the years, much of my work has been conceptually related to that theme. I love to observe how people and places subtly change over time, which can be seen in a number of my series, from Everyday to Lumberland to The River. I’d describe my work as subtle, quiet, slow and beautiful but with a little bit of humor!

▲ The River / 20220107 (2022)

Noah Kalina X Samsung Art Store
      Q: What is the story behind your partnership with the Art Store?

A friend of mine, Cody Cobb, whose work I greatly admire, had pieces in the Art Store. When I first saw his work there, I was enamored with how it looked on The Frame; it’s truly an incredible viewing experience. Shortly thereafter, I was asked to be included and immediately said yes.

Q: How has the Art Store partnership with Samsung impacted your career?

It has enabled my art to be consumed by people across the world. Some who have discovered my art through the Art Store have even inquired about collecting physical prints and some of my books.

Q: How would you compare displaying your art digitally, such as on The Frame, to more traditional mediums like print or an exhibit?

It’s hard to compare because digital displays are obviously very different than traditional prints. In many ways, digital displays like The Frame are better, especially for works native to the digital ecosystem, such as digital art, photography and video. The Matte display on The Frame and the backlighting can render certain artworks in a truly surreal, almost three-dimensional fashion, which is something a traditional print doesn’t do as well. One of the biggest advantages of a digital display is the ability to change the work over time and display different types of mediums. Being able to use the space a television takes up when not in use to showcase art is also a benefit of digital displays.

▲ The Redbud / 20140518 (2014)

Future of Digital Art
      Q: Has there been a change in how you create art as technology becomes increasingly integrated into the art world? Have you noticed a change in the way people consume your art?

The changes in technology for monitors and displays have certainly affected how I consider and make my compositions. But in reality, I am a photographic purist and generally do my work with a physical print in mind while understanding that my work may primarily be consumed on screens large and small.

I embraced digital technology fairly early and started posting my work on the internet in 1998. The idea of anyone, anywhere in the world, having access to my art is something I have always loved. People having potentially unlimited exposure to my work has always been important to me.

We’re certainly going to see AI impact commercial photography, and I think a lot of the types of photographs I used to be commissioned for won’t exist anymore. That said, AI tools can be used to enhance photographs and make the editing process easier, and I am interested in how I might apply that technology to my own projects.

▲ Untitled “River” (2013)

Q: Which of your works would you recommend to consumers to display on The Frame?

First, I would recommend the Untitled “Diagonal” (2015), which is a fallen tree captured in foggy woods. I had taken numerous photographs of this scene between 2014 and 2017 until the dead tree fell. There is something about this photograph that works particularly well on The Frame. It appears almost three-dimensional. You can read more about this series here.

▲ Untitled “Diagonal” (2015)

The Lumberland (2015) looks absolutely unbelievable on The Frame and is the first photograph I ever made in my Lumberland series. The series Lumberland is a time-based project documenting a black walnut tree throughout the seasons. I have taken more than 70 photographs of this landscape over the past eight years.

▲ Lumberland / 20150923 (2015)

My Untitled “Path” (2018) also looks fantastic on The Frame because of its mystery. It is a surreal landscape of a branch wrapped in LED lights set next to a seemingly endless stone wall. This is from a series of works where I insert electronic elements into the landscape.

▲ Untitled “Path” (2018)

To discover more of Noah Kalina’s artwork, head to the Samsung Art Store in The Frame.
      View the full article