Quantcast

[Making TVs Smarter] ① How Tizen is Expanding Smart TV Experiences

There was a time when picture and sound quality and design were the main factors in determining the quality of a TV. Then came the inception of smart TVs – televisions equipped with operating systems just like computers or smart phones. The rise of this new technology allowed for the use of a broad range of applications on users’ TVs, while also providing more access to different kinds of content and facilitating connectivity with a wider range of devices.

Global-Smart-TV-Platform_Tizen_main_1.jp

* Service availability may vary by region, service provider, language.

Samsung has ranked number one in the global TV market for 14 consecutive years due to the ultra-high definition picture quality, immersive sound and rich user experiences provided by its televisions. And at the heart of it all has been Tizen OS, an open-source operating system that makes it easy for users to enjoy an expansive range of services quickly and conveniently.

Samsung Newsroom looked into the key features offered by Tizen that are driving premium TV usability and elevating the experiences of both users and partners.

User Experience – Access Vast Amounts of Content Easily

When you use a smart TV powered by Tizen, most forms of content are just a few clicks away. Smart TVs equipped with the Tizen OS support major OTT (Over the Top) services applications by default. When hooked up, the TVs also provide access to Samsung TV Plus, which lets you view a range of content including variety shows, TV series and movies free of charge. This experience is further enhanced by the ‘Universal Guide’ feature, which harnesses the power of AI to make intelligent, personalized recommendations that are tailored to your preferences.

Global-Smart-TV-Platform_Tizen_main_2.jp

* Universal Guide screen displayed above is available for European users only.

With Tizen, quickly selecting the videos you want to watch from among the flood of content becomes a breeze. The operating system spares users from frustration by minimizing input lag, which is the time required for the TV to reflect commands. Tizen-empowered smart TVs also feature Auto Game Mode, which allows the TV to detect and automatically change settings for an optimal gameplay experience when the user is using a gaming console.

Content Developer Experience – Streamlined Content Supply Across Devices

To best enrich the smart TV experience, collaboration with a host of partners and developers is crucial.

Global-Smart-TV-Platform_Tizen_main_3_F.

At Samsung Developer Conference 2019, Samsung Electronics unveiled a range of development tools that streamline the app building experience for the Tizen OS. ‘EasyST’ enables users to quickly test online video content on TVs, while ‘Wits’ helps with monitoring apps in development in real-time on a television. These and a range of other tools are available for anyone to access.

What’s more, through use of ‘Samsung Checkout on TV’ users can easily subscribe to an app or purchase content using just their Samsung Smart TV, regardless of which kind of IPTV connection they have. This removes the need for the establishment of an independent payment system by developers.

Global-Smart-TV-Platform_Tizen_main_4.jp

This platform also enables partners of Samsung Electronics to conveniently provide content to more than 140 million users in 197 different countries around the world. Since Tizen OS supports a broad host of TV models that range from FHD to QLED 8K, the operating system has made reaching a wider user base easier and more efficient. Tizen OS also offers support for a number of virtual assistants, including Bixby, Alexa and Google Assistant, which further facilitate easy access to a diverse array of content.

Global-Smart-TV-Platform_Tizen_main_5.jp

* Service availability may vary by region, service provider, language.

Across a vast range of locations and user types, Tizen connects users with development partners in order to expand the depth and scope of TV experiences. Going forward, the multi-faceted operating system will strike partnerships in areas such as arts, fitness and games in order to continue expanding the role that our televisions play in our lives.

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Samsung Newsroom
      The “crown jewel” of ultra-high-definition content is video. It’s not just about sharp, vibrant image quality; it’s also about elaborate frame-by-frame and pixel-by-pixel work. In a single video, you can see the creator’s careful balancing of contrast and color, as well as the aesthetics that go into every little detail.

This is especially true for “picture quality demo” videos, which showcase the display’s full specs, capabilities and their potentials. When creating a picture quality demo video, it’s all about the details. This is why ultra-high resolution monitor should be used to create elaborate demo content.

Samsung Newsroom met with various artists who are using ViewFinity S9 to talk about how technology affects their creative process and artwork. The art professionals include DEVSISTERS who emphasized the importance of monitors in 3D design; OIMU which delivers the beautiful Korean names of colors; and Mike Perry, who suggests a new perspective with graphics design. In this last installment of the ViewFinity S9 Story series, Samsung Newsroom sat down with CEO and VFX Supervisor Seungmo Kim of RABBIT WALKS to explore how he pushes the boundaries of display.

▲ CEO and VFX Supervisor Seungmo Kim of RABBIT WALKS

Established in 2010, RABBIT WALKS has grown into a professional 3D content studio, having directed over 1,400 commercials, brand films and much more. The professional visual content company is developing various solutions for digital media with its industry-leading technological prowess, specifically in live streaming CG(Computer-generated Graphics) using game engine and 8K or higher-resolution content.  

Q: Tell us a bit about your role at RABBIT WALKS.

I oversee content direction and visual effects, with a primary focus on ads and picture quality demo videos for digital signage. For picture quality demo reels, it’s important to understand a display’s technology to make the most of its capabilities. So, I spend a lot of time and effort into understanding monitors while creating demo content. I am checking the picture quality pixel by pixel and making fine adjustments frame by frame to push the refresh rate to its limits. Through this harsh process with a precise directing, I can provide a different kind of visual catharsis to audiences.

▲ An extra-large scale OOH(out-of-home) advertisement created by RABBIT WALKS

Q: What is the role of a monitor in picture quality demonstration?

A picture quality demo video is designed to showcase the full specs, features and capabilities of digital signage. Given that these demo videos for large signages should be produced in ultra-high resolution, the monitor’s resolution matters a lot. The importance of screen resolution increases at trade shows like CES, ISE and InfoComm, where there are larger digital signages, often connected to each other, reaching resolutions as high as 20K.

▲ A 263-inch The Wall All-in-One plays demo content created by RABBIT WALKS at the entrance of Samsung Electronics’ booth at InfoComm 2023

Q: Can you tell us about your recent project using ViewFinity S9?

Recently, I created a wide8K picture quality demo content for a seven-meter display, designed to be viewed from just a meter away. At this distance, even the tiniest pixel can be noticeable, which is why I needed to check every detail and even the slightest noise. With ViewFinity, I found that previews closely mirrored the final product, which was really helpful.

When working on content with ultra-high resolutions, including 8K content and beyond, we often find that our monitors fall short in resolutions. Fortunately, the ViewFinity monitor features a 5K resolution which provides more space than 4K monitors without sacrificing details. It greatly enhances efficiency as it shows more areas. Honestly, it wouldn’t be easy going back to just 4K.

▲ Comparison between 4K and 5K on a working screen. Viewfinity S9 enables users to review 4K content in native resolution while simultaneously displaying neighboring work tabs

Q: What are your favorite features of ViewFinity S9?

I often just carry a monitor when filming outside on small scale productions, but the bright environment and light reflections can get in the way. So, it’s difficult to monitor in real time since it challenges me from checking details on site. More often than not, we would usually check minimally because of this.

The other day, I brought ViewFinity S9 to my filming location for monitoring, and its Matte Display reduced the light reflection and really improved my productivity. And, the screen itself was so bright that I could monitor the results than I expected. Thanks to the ViewFinity monitor, I could handle both filming and editing onsite.

▲ Kim says he enjoys taking Viewfinity S9 to outdoor production sites

Q: What sets the ViewFinity S9 apart from previous monitors?

I love the fact that ViewFinity supports Thunderbolt 4, directly connecting devices to the monitor like a hub.1 I would normally connect a hub to the laptop, and because there are often too many wires, we might accidentally trip over the cables.

Thunderbolt 4 enables ViewFinity S9 charge devices and plug various devices into the back of the monitor. We can connect important devices such as external drives, which was reassuring.

▲ Supporting various inputs, Viewfinity S9 allows for multi-tasking across a number of devices

▲ The Viewfinity S9 has Thunderbolt 4(90W), Mini DisplayPort and USB-C connectivity.

Q: How did ViewFinity S9 change your work environment?

In creating 3D content, CG renders often take a significant amount of time, making it challenging to do anything else at the same time. However, ViewFinity S9 offers the flexibility to engage in other activities, like watching streaming content,2 regardless of ongoing tasks on the PC.

I used to have different monitors for graphic works and watching streaming content. With ViewFinity S9, I can streamline and have one monitor that can be utilized for different purposes. Like me, for those who spend extended hours working on monitors, its versatility is a great advantage.

▲ Kim editing 3D graphics on a Viewfinity S9

Q: Are there any other features you enjoyed using?

Few 5K or higher-resolution monitors can pivot. ViewFinity, on the other hand, can be used both horizontally and vertically, which is very convenient. I recently create a vertical video and the ViewFinity S9’s pivot feature was really helpful. Now, I can see easily view and edit vertical and horizontal content by simply rotating the monitor.  These ergonomic features, including height-adjustable stand and tilt capabilities, really help maximize productivity.

▲ Many graphic designers including Seungmo Kim, CEO and VFX Supervisor of RABBIT WALKS, say the pivot feature is very useful for their work

Q: As an expert in picture quality demo videos, what are your thoughts on the monitor?

Having used the ViewFinity monitor, I can safely say I like everything about the monitor. From its brightness and resolution to its vibrant colors. It’s an exceptional choice for creative professionals. A versatile monitor with great specs. I highly recommend it.

▲ “Once you upgrade, it’s hard to step back down. Honestly, it wouldn’t be easy going back to just 4K,” says Seungmo Kim, CEO and VFX Supervisor of RABBIT WALKS

1 Only Mac computers with Apple silicon introduced after 2020 are supported.
      2 App availability may vary by country and separate subscriptions may be required. Requires internet connection and TV tuner is not included. You will need a Samsung Account to access the full range of smart features available through your device, including network-based smart services, applications such as games and streaming services, smart home functionality and many more.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics unveiled a video detailing the inspiring journey behind the development of its groundbreaking MICRO LED technology, highlighting the meticulous quality and dedication behind the technology.

▲ “MICRO LED: A Journey to Redefine Limits” provides a glimpse into the development of the groundbreaking technology.

Samsung’s MICRO LED: The Pinnacle of Next-Generation Display Technology
      For 18 consecutive years, Samsung has led the global TV market with its unwavering dedication to innovation. The latest feat, MICRO LED, stands as a testament to this legacy. Poised to define the next generation of display technology, MICRO LED is the culmination of Samsung’s state-of-the-art manufacturing excellence and decades of experience in the industry.

As the name suggests, these displays utilize LEDs that are a mere 100㎛ in size, even slimmer than a strand of human hair. In particular, the size of the LEDs for MICRO LED is smaller than 50㎛, which is only 10% of typical LEDs for B2B products.

Unlike traditional displays, MICRO LED is self-emissive, producing its own light and color without the need for backlights or color filters. The result is a brighter, sharper display that captures the intricacies of the real world with unmatched precision. Furthermore, the inorganic RGB of the self-emissive display ensures freedom from burn-ins and provides exceptional brightness and picture quality for nearly 100,000 hours.

▲ The video explains Samsung researchers’ meticulous approach to MICRO LED.

Of course, it wasn’t an overnight success. Samsung researchers spent more than half a decade venturing into unexplored terrains to pioneer this unique technology. Many industry skeptics doubted its viability, pointing to the complexity and precision it demanded. However, with a relentless pursuit of perfection and an unwavering dedication to craftsmanship, the team overcame the technical challenge, ultimately creating what many consider the apex of display technology.

Exceptional Viewing, Meticulous Making: The MICRO LED Process
      Much like how a gemologist uses precise measures to identify the finest diamonds, Samsung engineers employ advanced technologies and stringent criteria to select only the highest-quality MICRO LEDs.

“These MICRO LEDs meet exacting standards for luminance, dispersion and rank, ensuring unmatched performance never before seen on traditional screens,” said KJ Lee at the MICRO LED Product Development Group. “The superior quality of LED materials, combined with their consistent sizes, allow us to arrange them in a densely packed manner and deliver a truly exceptional viewing experience.”

▲ Samsung engineers meticulously select top-quality MICRO LEDs, similar to selecting the finest diamonds, to provide an unmatched screen performance.

“During the development process, we’ve sifted through over 10 billion LED units to develop a cutting-edge surface mount technology, allowing us to intricately position 24 million MICRO LEDs, each slimmer than a human hair, on the panel,“ explained Jeongin Han at the Manufacturing Process R&D Group. “In addition, Samsung’s nanometer technology, borrowed from the company’s semiconductor expertise, successfully narrows the edge of the modules to create a seamless screen of any size.”

Each module, assembled with precision using ultra-fine process technology, undergoes extensive testing, ensuring that all 24 million pixels are flawless. This thorough process guarantees that customers will have a defect-free viewing experience for a decade.

▲ The extensive calibration of MICRO LEDs ensures lifelike colors and clarity.

Following the extensive testing phase, the MICRO LEDs proceed to the calibration phase. This is where the display’s picture quality is adjusted to achieve lifelike colors and clarity. “Each MICRO LED display undergoes over 40,000 calibration rounds, systematically classified from pixel level to module, bloc, and the final product,” said Tetsuya Shigeta, who is in charge of display module design at the Core Technology Group.

Experience the Future of Display in Your Living Room
      As a result of the intricate process, MICRO LED offers an unparalleled visual experience never before seen on a consumer display. These self-emissive RGB LEDs provide pure light and color without any filters — immersing users fully, whether it be movies, sports or documentaries. This revolutionary technology ensures optimal efficiency and minimal light loss, producing images that blur the lines between screen and reality.

▲ MICRO LED presents the ultimate viewing experience with unmatched picture quality.

Recognizing the soaring demand for ultra-large and premium displays, Samsung is launching a range of MICRO LED displays this year. Spanning from 76 to 114 inches, these displays cater to customers seeking unmatched picture quality and cutting-edge technology.

For more information on Samsung’s MICRO LED, please visit www.samsung.com.
      View the full article
    • By BGR
      Samsung will take the stage in its home country later this week to unveil the Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Flip 5 foldables. This marks the first time the summer Unpacked event is being held at home rather than in an international market. It’s also the first time the mid-summer Unpacked press conference will take place in July rather than August or September.
      I thought the arrival of Google’s Pixel Fold might have scared Samsung into moving up the launch event. But what if Samsung is really looking to deal with the iPhone ticking time bomb at home by looking to launch the new foldables as soon as possible?
      Until this year, Samsung has had virtually no competition in the foldables space since the first Galaxy Fold. Samsung could take its time to upgrade the Fold and Flip each year without delivering massive redesigns. But Chinese vendors started putting pressure on Samsung in previous years. And some of those devices launched in Europe and other international markets in early 2023.
      The Google Pixel Fold is perhaps the biggest threat to Samsung’s dominant position in the industry despite some of its obvious faults.
      Samsung is responding to these threats with the kind of big Fold and Flip design updates we’ve been waiting for. The Fold 5 will be slimmer than before, thanks to a no-gap hinge. The Flip 5 will feature a large external display occupying almost the entire surface of one of the phone’s halves.
      Google Pixel Fold smartphone unfolded. Image source: Jonathan S. Geller, BGR On top of that, Samsung set its Unpacked press event for July 26th, the earliest date ever. As a reminder, this Unpacked event used to be the home of the Galaxy Note series. And it used to happen in early September before Samsung detached it from the German IFA tradeshow. The reason Samsung went to early August was the iPhone’s early September launch which would routinely obliterate Note sales.
      All that is to say that Samsung might be worried about increased competition in the foldables space. But the iPhone might be the real reason it’s focusing on the Korean market.
      The big iPhone problem
      Samsung might want to make an impression on a specific category of smartphone buyers in its home market. Per The Korea Herald, a new Gallup survey shows that young adults in the country prefer the iPhone overwhelmingly to a Samsung phone.
      The study indicates that Samsung is the main smartphone vendor in Korea, with 69% of adults owning a Galaxy phone. Only 23% of respondents have an iPhone.
      But younger millennials and Gen Z like the iPhone increasingly more than Samsung phones. In the 30-39 age group, 41% of respondents have an iPhone. The percentage goes to 60% in the 18-29 group.
      Samsung vs. iPhone market share in Korea for different age groups. Image source: Gallup Korea via The Korea Herald This is a major problem for Samsung. These young adults are growing with the iPhone and the entire ecosystem of apps and hardware. Switching from iPhone to Android becomes increasingly difficult the more you use the products.
      As a longtime iPhone user, I can attest to that. I’ve been on iPhone and Mac for over a decade, and there’s nothing to make me switch to a different combo. And I was in the 18-29 group when I started using Apple for my main computing needs.
      The young adults who bought iPhone over Samsung cited Apple’s premium branding as one of the reasons. They’d buy the iPhone even if the same storage device is more expensive than the Galaxy S equivalent. For example, the 128GB iPhone 14 costs 1,250,000 won in the country, or $980. The Galaxy S23 is 100,000 won ($78) cheaper.
      Various Galaxy Fold 4 and Flip 4 foldable phones. Image source: Samsung Apple Pay, which arrived in Korea earlier this year, is another factor that convinces young adults to buy iPhones.
      The study also says that 85% of respondents say they are likely to stick with their current brand. That’s great for Samsung in the older groups. But if young adults stay with iPhone, we might be looking at decades of problems for Samsung. Especially if the teenage generation in Korea positions itself in favor of the iPhone. That wouldn’t be a surprise if their parents also use iPhones.
      The unsung heroes in this survey are the older smartphone users who still have LG phones. LG is no longer making Android handsets, of course.
      Samsung is apparently aware of the iPhone problem. The Herald says the Korean giant opened a flagship retail store in Gangnam last month, branding it a “playground for millennials and Gen Z.” The store is less than a kilometer away from Apple Gangnam store.
      Don't Miss: Proton Pass finally lets you save credit card info with a new updateThe post The iPhone is a ticking time bomb in Samsung’s home market appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics, the world’s leading TV manufacturer for 17 consecutive years, today announced a partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures that will bring highly-anticipated movie trailers to Neo QLED 8K screens in more than 65,000 retail stores around the world.

“This partnership is an exciting step forward for 8K content, showcasing Neo QLED 8K’s capabilities and getting consumers excited about seeing films in cinematic quality,” said Cheolgi Kim, Executive Vice President of the Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “Collaborating with Warner Bros. allows Samsung to show consumers how ultra-premium TV technology can take their favorite films to a whole new level.”

To better understand demand for 8K content, Samsung and Warner Bros. trialed their partnership by showcasing the “Creed III” trailer across more than 450 retail stores in the United States and Europe earlier this year. This garnered significant attention and enthusiasm from audiences worldwide, exemplifying the growing demand for 8K content. Since then, Samsung and Warner Bros. have worked together to expand the program. Now, shoppers globally will be able to see Samsung Neo QLED 8K in action with an appealing lineup of high-profile content, including trailers for upcoming films such as “Barbie,” “Blue Beetle,” “Dune: Part Two,” “Wonka” and “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.”

This collaboration with Warner Bros. Pictures, a global leader in the creation, production and distribution of entertainment, represents Samsung’s ongoing efforts to bring high quality entertainment to consumers, making Warner Bros. a perfect partner in bringing much-anticipated 8K trailers to consumers worldwide.

Samsung’s Neo QLED 8K screens continue to revolutionize the TV industry, with their impact reaching content production and retail markets around the globe. Powered by Neural Quantum Processor 8K and Quantum Matrix Technology, they bring immaculate picture quality with crisp details, accurate colors and hyper-realistic depth to offer consumers the best viewing experience available in the consumer TV market.

For more information on Samsung’s Neo QLED 8K TVs, please visit www.samsung.com. 

About Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group
      Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group is comprised of Warner Bros. Pictures, New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures Animation. Warner Bros. partners with the world’s most inspiring storytellers to create extraordinary entertainment on every screen for the global audience. Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group has been at the forefront of the motion picture industry since its inception and continues to be a leading creative force, producing the broadest slate of films for worldwide theatrical release.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      It is no secret that Samsung Electronics — the global leader in TV manufacturing for 17 consecutive years — also has a strong presence in the soundbar market, boasting an impressive nine-year reign since 2013. The secret to Samsung’s success lies within a dynamic team of innovative engineers who are pioneering the way people consume content. At the heart of this change is Samsung’s advancement in artificial intelligence (AI) technology and the company’s use of AI to improve sound and picture quality across its screens.

Following the first installment of this series about the significance of hardware innovation in achieving premium sound quality, Samsung Newsroom sat down with its engineers once again to take a closer look at Samsung’s remarkable AI features that helped create a state-of-the-art sound experience.

Embracing AI for Sonic Perfection: Tuning Your Sound to Your Environment
      “Ironically, I don’t recall sound engineers being interested in AI in the beginning when we started seeing a boom in the technology,” said Sunmin Kim, Head of the Sound Device Lab, Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. But with an intuition that AI could help improve TV sound, the Sound Device Lab decided to get a head start, about six years ago, in exploring AI and its applications to sound technologies.

Then, a shift occurred. With the advent of the Neural Processing Unit (NPU) and its application to Samsung’s flagship TVs, the possibilities of applying AI technology to TV audio were unlocked. The team fast-tracked machine learning for its TVs which led to significant early successes. Kim is confident that AI has and will continue to exponentially elevate the viewing experience by enhancing TV sound in numerous and profound ways.

▲ “AI plays a critical role in improving the user experience on our screens,” said Kim.

Samsung’s advanced AI applications include a deep learning algorithm that distinguishes and separates the primary voice on the screen from other sounds. Before, an equalizer feature simply adjusted the high-, middle- and low-pitched sounds within humans’ audible frequency range — approximately 20 to 20,000Hz — to improve sound quality. The 2023 TVs and screens go above and beyond, providing deeper and greater details by analyzing content scene by scene and accentuating various audio elements including human voices, background music and sound effects. Additionally, this optimization process happens behind the scenes so that users can enjoy optimal sound effortlessly.

SpaceFit Sound: Tailoring Audio to Your Space
      The listening environment and its acoustic properties must be considered to truly optimize sound from TVs. Samsung’s latest TVs come with the SpaceFit Sound feature that leverages AI technology to assess surrounding environments and ensure sound is appropriately adjusted. The feature utilizes the TV’s built-in microphone to automatically identify various factors present in the room, such as the distance between the TV and the wall as well as the room’s acoustic properties, to measure the reflection of the TV’s sound. AI is used to enhance the sound accordingly.

▲ SpaceFit Sound leverages AI to learn the acoustic properties of the environment and calibrates the sound accordingly.

“Through continuous research and analysis, we found certain frequency patterns that are more susceptible to change based on a device’s surroundings, potentially impacting the TV’s sound quality,” said Kibeom Kim. “The built-in microphone identifies changes in acoustic properties and sound caused by factors like a carpet or an empty room to optimize sound regardless of the TV’s location.”

“Traditionally, TVs use a set of dedicated sounds to check sound through the mic. SpaceFit Sound, on the other hand, utilizes real content to analyze viewing environments and modifies sound accordingly,” Kim explained. “The technology was designed not only for real scenarios but also real-time circumstances as the feature automatically and conveniently adjusts sound.”

▲ Samsung’s SpaceFit Sound has become the industry’s first technology to earn the Spatial Sound Optimization certification from VDE.

In recognition of the company’s dedication to innovation and user-centric design, Samsung’s SpaceFit Sound also became the first audio technology to receive the Spatial Sound Optimization certification from Verband Deutscher Elektrotechniker (VDE) in 2021.

Q-Symphony 3.0: Harnessing Hyperconnectivity for Three-Dimensional Sound
      Whether it’s through bigger screens or deeper acoustics, today’s viewers desire more cinematic experiences. Q-Symphony is a proprietary technology from Samsung that orchestrates a harmonious interplay between a TV’s speakers and a connected soundbar, resulting in a richer, more vibrant audio experience. As the name suggests, the feature allows two audio outputs to synchronize, similar to a carefully conducted concerto, creating a unified, immersive soundstage. More specifically, the soundbar plays primary audio channels, while the TV speakers add background and surround sounds to create a dynamic and three-dimensional audio experience.

▲ Q-Symphony allows soundbar and TV speakers to work in perfect sync, producing harmonious blends of sound for immersive experiences.

Despite the apparent simplicity in concept, Q-Symphony leverages a wide range of AI technologies to produce and sync sounds with such accuracy. Any gaps in sound levels between the TV speakers and soundbar must be precisely synced to prevent unwanted echoes and achieve perfect audio harmony. Over the years, Samsung engineers have tirelessly worked to refine this technology. Q-Symphony 1.0, which originally utilized the TV’s top speakers, evolved into Q-Symphony 2.0, which controls all speakers with improved channel separation technology for a greater sense of depth and immersion.

The latest Q-Symphony 3.0 takes sound to the next level by integrating the neural processor and AI-based real-time voice separation technology. This advanced Q-Symphony feature provides three-dimensional sound by distinguishing and optimizing various audio elements including voices, background music and sound effects based on the type of content and users’ volume settings. The resulting sound is a perfect replication of the audio track the creators intended.

Samsung’s AI algorithm can also take the input signals and play them through multiple channels, whether it’s the soundbar or all the TV speakers, customizing each channel for powerful and dynamic sounds. In addition to content featuring Dolby Atmos or 5.1-channel audio, content with regular stereo channels can also be processed to create 20 individual channels. This means that any media can be delivered with exceptionally immersive sound quality on Samsung TVs and soundbars.

▲ “Q-Symphony is a revolutionary algorithm by Samsung that can masterfully synchronize audio volume and timing in perfect harmony,” said Kim.

“The sound offered through Q-Symphony is so immersive that viewers feel as though they are physically present on set with so many different background sounds coming alive through the feature,” said Kim.

Unifying Picture and Sound Experiences for Optimal Viewing Experiences
      Today, AI sits at the core of Samsung’s audio strategy with its applications extending across numerous products. This widespread adoption of AI has resulted in features like Q-Symphony and SpaceFit Sound that enrich the audio experience, alongside other audio technologies that breathe life into content through dialogue and movement. Additional capabilities include Active Voice Amplifier, which adjusts and improves dialogue clarity with the speaker and surrounding noise in mind, Human Tracking Sound, which dynamically reproduces the sound based on the position of the on-screen speaker, and OTS Pro, which creates a dynamic soundscape based on the movement of objects or the speaker on the screen.

These features are the outcome of two symbiotic AI technologies: a content analysis model and a sound separation model. The neural processors work with both auditory and visual cues, among other signals, to create the perfect audio experience that syncs with what is happening on the screen. Despite the complexity of this process, Samsung was able to bring these features to life by forming a cross-departmental team of engineers and pooling resources across picture, sound and other departments.

The Future of Sound: Reshaping Audio Experiences With Samsung’s Sound Device Lab
      ▲ (From left) Seongsu Park, Sunmin Kim and Kibeom Kim at the Sound Device Lab are on a mission to capture audio just as the artists intended.

In the Sound Device Lab, there is a clear and unwavering goal that guides every innovation: recreate the original sound as closely as the artists intended, with consumers top of mind. AI is a critical tool that enables Samsung to do this.

Sunmin Kim, who heads the Sound Device Lab, believes that sound is just one side of the coin: “The focus on sound quality is a given, but all innovations that made breakthroughs came from user-centric design. Sound settings and features need to be straightforward and user friendly.”

Seongsu Park noted that 70% of TV sound comes from the product while the remaining 30% is shaped by the space in which the sound is played: “Our products will continue to leverage the latest measurement systems and AI algorithms to analyze space and sound settings for optimal sound quality.”

On a final note, Kibeom Kim also shared the Sound Lab’s ambition in the era of multi-device sound experiences initiated by the Q-Symphony feature: “There is unlimited potential in Q-Symphony to produce audio that works in perfect harmony. We will continue to improve inter-device connectivity and enhance the feature for our users.”

Samsung is committed to delivering premium experiences for consumers, prioritizing their needs through innovative products. With a strong track record as a market leader for 17 consecutive years, Samsung will continue to enhance the viewing experience and drive sound innovation.
      View the full article