Quantcast

[Infographic] Spotting The Serif in Different Locations Around the World

At a time when traveling abroad is not as easy as it normally would be, Samsung Global Newsroom is here to offer readers a glimpse into several spots around the world – right from their screens.

In recognition of The Serif’s leading design, which was inspired by the letter ‘I’ and is even featured in the TV’s frame, the compilation below features The Serif in nine houses in different countries with different interior designs as a testament to the lifestyle TV’s ability to fit any aesthetic.

Take a look at the infographic below for a closer look and some insight from local Samsung TV experts into how The Serif is able to fit harmoniously into any interior and elevate its users’ everyday spaces.

The_Serif_Card_News_main1.jpg

The_Serif_Card_News_main2.jpg

The_Serif_Card_News_main3.jpg

The_Serif_Card_News_main4.jpg

The_Serif_Card_News_main5.jpg

The_Serif_Card_News_main6.jpg

The_Serif_Card_News_main7.jpg

The_Serif_Card_News_main8.jpg

The_Serif_Card_News_main9.jpg

The_Serif_Card_News_main10.jpg

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By BGR
      Samsung will take the stage in its home country later this week to unveil the Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Flip 5 foldables. This marks the first time the summer Unpacked event is being held at home rather than in an international market. It’s also the first time the mid-summer Unpacked press conference will take place in July rather than August or September.
      I thought the arrival of Google’s Pixel Fold might have scared Samsung into moving up the launch event. But what if Samsung is really looking to deal with the iPhone ticking time bomb at home by looking to launch the new foldables as soon as possible?
      Until this year, Samsung has had virtually no competition in the foldables space since the first Galaxy Fold. Samsung could take its time to upgrade the Fold and Flip each year without delivering massive redesigns. But Chinese vendors started putting pressure on Samsung in previous years. And some of those devices launched in Europe and other international markets in early 2023.
      The Google Pixel Fold is perhaps the biggest threat to Samsung’s dominant position in the industry despite some of its obvious faults.
      Samsung is responding to these threats with the kind of big Fold and Flip design updates we’ve been waiting for. The Fold 5 will be slimmer than before, thanks to a no-gap hinge. The Flip 5 will feature a large external display occupying almost the entire surface of one of the phone’s halves.
      Google Pixel Fold smartphone unfolded. Image source: Jonathan S. Geller, BGR On top of that, Samsung set its Unpacked press event for July 26th, the earliest date ever. As a reminder, this Unpacked event used to be the home of the Galaxy Note series. And it used to happen in early September before Samsung detached it from the German IFA tradeshow. The reason Samsung went to early August was the iPhone’s early September launch which would routinely obliterate Note sales.
      All that is to say that Samsung might be worried about increased competition in the foldables space. But the iPhone might be the real reason it’s focusing on the Korean market.
      The big iPhone problem
      Samsung might want to make an impression on a specific category of smartphone buyers in its home market. Per The Korea Herald, a new Gallup survey shows that young adults in the country prefer the iPhone overwhelmingly to a Samsung phone.
      The study indicates that Samsung is the main smartphone vendor in Korea, with 69% of adults owning a Galaxy phone. Only 23% of respondents have an iPhone.
      But younger millennials and Gen Z like the iPhone increasingly more than Samsung phones. In the 30-39 age group, 41% of respondents have an iPhone. The percentage goes to 60% in the 18-29 group.
      Samsung vs. iPhone market share in Korea for different age groups. Image source: Gallup Korea via The Korea Herald This is a major problem for Samsung. These young adults are growing with the iPhone and the entire ecosystem of apps and hardware. Switching from iPhone to Android becomes increasingly difficult the more you use the products.
      As a longtime iPhone user, I can attest to that. I’ve been on iPhone and Mac for over a decade, and there’s nothing to make me switch to a different combo. And I was in the 18-29 group when I started using Apple for my main computing needs.
      The young adults who bought iPhone over Samsung cited Apple’s premium branding as one of the reasons. They’d buy the iPhone even if the same storage device is more expensive than the Galaxy S equivalent. For example, the 128GB iPhone 14 costs 1,250,000 won in the country, or $980. The Galaxy S23 is 100,000 won ($78) cheaper.
      Various Galaxy Fold 4 and Flip 4 foldable phones. Image source: Samsung Apple Pay, which arrived in Korea earlier this year, is another factor that convinces young adults to buy iPhones.
      The study also says that 85% of respondents say they are likely to stick with their current brand. That’s great for Samsung in the older groups. But if young adults stay with iPhone, we might be looking at decades of problems for Samsung. Especially if the teenage generation in Korea positions itself in favor of the iPhone. That wouldn’t be a surprise if their parents also use iPhones.
      The unsung heroes in this survey are the older smartphone users who still have LG phones. LG is no longer making Android handsets, of course.
      Samsung is apparently aware of the iPhone problem. The Herald says the Korean giant opened a flagship retail store in Gangnam last month, branding it a “playground for millennials and Gen Z.” The store is less than a kilometer away from Apple Gangnam store.
      Don't Miss: Proton Pass finally lets you save credit card info with a new updateThe post The iPhone is a ticking time bomb in Samsung’s home market appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article
    • By tv2023
      Hello
      How can I set screen time limit for my kids on Samsung tv.I know there are parental controls to block apps etc but no way to set screen time limit.
      I couldn't find any parental control apps either that control TV devices,  are there any?
      Smartthings app didn't work either to block TV.  I can set scenes etc. but kids can just turn the TV back on.
      Please help!!

• By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Art Store is the epitome of the digital-physical blend taking over today’s art experiences. It allows widely acclaimed galleries, museums and artists to showcase their masterpieces to users around the world by using The Frame’s immaculate digital display. Since its launch in 2017, Samsung Art Store allows for extraordinary, one-of-a-kind art selections to be accessible to consumers from the comfort of their own homes.

Stuart Franklin is an award-winning photographer who has traveled all over the world in pursuit of his work. The titles Franklin has held over the years vary from photographer to documentarian and art curator, with his work landing on the pages of newspapers, books, magazines and other media in between.

Over the years, Franklin’s work has gained considerable momentum and visibility — his work has earned a place in renowned publications around the world. Now, his work is featured on Samsung Art Store, introducing even more variety to the ever-growing art collection that is accessible through The Frame.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Franklin to talk about his work and how he sees digital transformation taking the art world into new, unimaginable spaces.

▲ Stuart Franklin

Q: Briefly tell us about yourself, your work and the inspiration behind your photography.

I am a Magnum photographer, and I have been working in the industry for over 40 years. I am inspired by many things: light, form, the subject itself, often the overall idea behind a larger project. But these days I also enjoy drawing and painting as well.

I am currently working on a book about trees. 25 years ago, I published a book called The Time of Trees (1999), and I am now revisiting the subject in preparation for a new book in 2023.

Q: You began studying photography in 1976 and have made quite an impact since then. How has your photography evolved over time?

After studying drawing and painting, then photography, I began a career working for newspapers and news magazines. My stories were always people stories: in the news, street photography and portraits. This began to change during the 1990s when I began to focus more on landscape work — I worked on magazines, books or exhibition commissions and an exhibition for the National Galleries of Scotland.

Q: You are known for your wide array of photography styles. Could you elaborate more on your creative process?

My work has evolved over time. In the past, I worked mostly in news features or breaking news. I haven’t given that up: I recently did work on the Covid-19 pandemic in the U.K. But more and more I am focusing on landscape photography. Currently, I am interested in the relationship between nature and memory, so the conversation surrounds the relationship between elements in the landscape that spark a memory and something objectively interesting in the landscape itself.

Q: What is your favorite setting or location to take pictures?

Right now, forests. I have recently been working in the largest walnut forest in the world in Kyrgyzstan.

Q: Can you tell us specifically how advancements in technology and the emergence of digital art and platforms have changed or shaped your career?

Unusually, my work has moved full circle from working on color transparency film and black and white negative to digital color in about 2004 and now back to 80% film. I use my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra for about 90% of my digital color photography these days. Digital has many advantages, especially working in low light. But currently, I am working with film in black and white and digitally with the Galaxy S21 for color.

Backlighting and increased dynamic range are always an advantage with digital displays, but the disadvantage is often reduced image size. It is difficult to mix the two. Anything backlit in an exhibition will always stand out more than a silver gelatin print.

▲ “Caroline Islands (2000)”, Stuart Franklin

Q: Caroline Islands (2000) is one of your most popular photographs displayed on The Frame. Tell us briefly about this piece. Why do you think people are attracted to this image?

This landscape and these colors speak of somewhere remote, a get-away, an escape, somewhere quiet and undisturbed. In bustling urban life, all these qualities become desirable.

Q: A lot of your photography within the Art Store that gained popularity over the years involve nature. Can you tell us more about what your artistic intentions were for these photos?

I have always found solace in nature and in celebrating its beauty. The challenge is making inspiring places be as inspiring in a photograph. That usually involves choosing the right light and the best time of day to be out photographing so that the highlights are not too bright or the shadows too dark. Light — the quality of light — plays a huge role in how I think about photography.

▲ “Falls, Brazil (2000)”, Stuart Franklin

Q: Can you give us some background on this photo?

This photograph was taken in late 1999 on commission for the article titled Celebrations of Earth — published in January 2000 as the opening story of the new millennium. Due to the mist formed by the water thundering down the waterfall, the morning light stayed soft for quite a long time, which gave me enough chances to make several exposures from different vantage points. Also, Polaroid films that fit my camera were easy to buy back then to help me out in trials before making the actual exposures.

Q: Where do you see the future of photography art exhibitions heading? What are your thoughts about what’s to come?

I think there will always be an attraction in seeing the print as a three-dimensional object, as one sees a painting. However, I suspect in the future that the three dimensionality that we are used to experiencing in a gallery will be deliverable digitally and become widespread in time. The digital experience will expand in ways that we can barely imagine. There will be more virtual galleries and exhibitions. I feel sure of that, and that will make art more accessible to a wider range of people.

Q: Aside from the two photographs listed above, do you have any other recommended pieces for The Frame users?

I will always be one to flag my most recent work, so perhaps the work this year from Spain, Italy or Kyrgyzstan or the work I am about to do in November in Cambodia and Bali. But then I recommend the images from Bali that I took in 1999 for the Celebrations of Earth project — I still love those beautiful green rice fields. Then there is the work from Korea. Too much to choose from.

▲ “Rice Fields, Indonesia (2000)”, Stuart Franklin

To see more of Franklin’s photographs, head to the Samsung Art Store.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      ▲ (From left to right) Ji Man Kim, Jun Hee Woo, Jason Park, and David Jung, engineers at Samsung Electronics’ Visual Display Business behind the development of the EZCal app.

Ever since the beginning of the global pandemic, we have been choosing our living room sofa over our seat at the local movie theater, our QLED TV over a mega screen, and the convenience of enjoying a film at home over the excitement of a screening in a movie theater.

At CES 2021, which was held in January of this year, Samsung Electronics premiered its EZCal app, which enables you to calibrate the picture quality of your TV to a quality comparable to that of a movie theater for those who want to enjoy that true cinema experience at home. Samsung Newsroom sat down with the developers of the EZCal app to hear more about the story behind how this upcoming app, which helps customers quickly and easily enjoy optimal viewing qualities, came to be.

EZCal: For Cinematic Viewing Quality in the Comfort of Your Home
      In August 2019, Hollywood film directors including Christopher Nolan and James Cameron emphasized the need for a ‘film maker’ mode on user’s personal TVs, a mode that would portray a film in the quality that the creator had in mind when they originally produced the content. Such a particular picture quality is favored not only by Hollywood filmmakers but also by experts across a range of fields, including professional engineers of picture quality for TVs, experts from institutions concerning international picture quality standards, and developers of picture quality-calibrating solutions. This ‘film maker’ mode is also known in the industry as ‘creator-intended picture quality’ or ‘picture quality in accordance with international broadcasting video standards.’

However, in practice, this ‘film maker’ mode has often not been able to provide all users with the flexibility they require when looking to enjoy cinematic viewing experiences in the comfort of their own homes. In order to find ways to make it easier for users to enjoy cinema-level picture quality at home, Samsung Electronics developed a way to connect TVs and smartphones using compatible apps that then easily calibrates picture quality using the color data exchanged between the two devices: EZCal.

“The fact that this app need be used only by those who want to use it helped ease the burden in terms of research costs,” noted Engineer Ji Man Kim. “What’s more, the app is easy to operate, meaning that users can seamlessly enjoy the picture quality they desire.”

EZCal stands for ‘Easy Calibration,’ and upon its unveiling at CES 2021 this January, the upcoming app quickly garnered attention for its ability to showcase a creator’s intended picture quality through the app format, and even won the Best of CES Award at the AVS Forum, a forum comprised of industry experts.

High-End Picture Quality: From Measurement to Calibration
      Prior to the development of the EZCal, calibrating the picture quality of a TV required a light-blocked room as dark as a darkroom along with a suite of high-end devices. The pattern generator and the optical instrument would first have to be connected to a PC equipped with a picture quality software solution, and the optical instrument would then be placed close to the TV screen so that it could recognize the pattern produced by the pattern generator. The picture quality would then be calibrated using the PC – all in all, this process was a cumbersome one and could take up to two hours if carried out manually. This process also required basic knowledge in picture quality, thereby preventing regular users from even attempting calibration.

“We had to grapple with how to move past the existing picture quality-calibrating framework and integrate it into the users’ experience,” said Engineer Jun Hee Woo of overcoming initial concerns that arose during the development process. “The solution was to simplify each step of the picture quality calibration process and to think of ways to replicate the functionality of high-end calibration devices.”

In order to replace the instruments that would measure the optical data of the TV screen, smartphone cameras were harnessed for the EZCal app. But even then, one problem still remained: the picture quality of TVs could not be calibrated under the RGB spectrum, i.e., a color value acquired using smartphones. “Picture quality for TVs should be based on the colors that people perceive with their eyes,” noted Engineer Jason Park. “This is why we needed the XYZ coordination data prescribed by the International Commission on Illumination (CIE). Developing an algorithm that could transform RGB data to XYZ coordination data was key to picture quality calibration.”

The video pattern generator was then changed to incorporate a method of sharing video patterns directly from the TV, and the connection between the picture quality software solution and the PC was replaced by the connectivity of a smartphone to a TV linked via Wi-Fi. “It was through the process of verifying whether the hardware and software of the QLED TV and a Galaxy Smartphone were suitable for the development of EZCal that we became convinced that the complex picture quality-calibration process could be condensed within a single app,” said Engineer Ji Man Kim.

Three Modes for Easy Calibration – to Your Tastes
      The greatest advantage offered by EZCal is that you can easily and quickly calibrate the picture quality of your TV to whatever degree you desire. Once you launch the EZCal app on your smartphone, the Tizen app built into your television will begin operating in the background. Then, depending on the detail of calibration you desire, you can select from the following three options: Quick Mode, Basic Mode, and Professional Mode.

As its name indicates, Quick Mode is an option that enables easy calibration within a short period of time. Once you have selected this mode and brought your smartphone to your TV, the camera in your smartphone captures the on-screen video pattern and transforms the acquired RGB spectrum data into XYZ coordination data. “It only takes 15 to 30 seconds to calibrate the picture quality in Quick Mode,” explained Engineer David Jung. “Our focus when developing this mode was on enabling calibration in a quick yet effective manner.”

Basic Mode, a functionality that is one step more advanced than Quick Mode, offers users a wider range of calibrations. While in Quick Mode you can calibrate a content’s white balance within two points, in Basic Mode you can calibrate this aspect within 20 points, and also calibrate the Gamma – which governs the brightness of video signals – and the greyscale linearity – the aspect responsible for the consistency of colors by signal strength – resulting in a more optimized picture quality. Whereas Quick Mode is an option designed to make the movie-watching experience more pleasant for regular users, the Basic Mode has been optimized for movie fans that enjoy being particular about their film’s picture quality,” explained Engineer Jason Park.

Thirdly, Professional Mode is an advanced setup mode tailored for those that enjoy curating sophisticated picture quality experiences. Although Professional Mode requires the longest time for calibration to complete – between 12 and 15 minutes – this longer calibration period allows for color and brightness calibration to be undertaken in even greater detail. “Professional Mode can be used for a variety of situations, whether you are watching movies or playing games,” noted Engineer David Jung. “We recommend that you turn your room’s lights off and use tripods for even greater calibration measurement accuracy.”

Reflecting the TV’s ability to provide the best picture quality possible, Samsung’s QLED TV lineup has consistently received support and praise from its users. Over 20,000 units of the 2021 QLED TV have been sold in Korea in just under two months since its release, a figure that mirrors the efforts of the company to provide users with high-quality viewing experiences at home.

Samsung’s ongoing efforts to provide optimal picture quality experiences to users are what have led to the development of EZCal, which is set to bring about cinema-like picture quality to QLED users that would satisfy even the films’ creators themselves. The team who worked on developing EZCal is proud of the range of calibration options offered by the app; “In the near future, we will see EZCal be used across even more diverse areas,” shared Engineer David Jung. “There is no doubt that its emphasis on genuine media appreciation will expand to serve other purposes, too.”

* Please note that all product and service features, characteristics, uses, benefits, design, price, components, performance, availability, capacity, and other relevant information may be subject to change.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      The Remote Device Manager provides a mechanism to deploy a project remotely from Tizen Studio to a Tizen-enabled device, such as Galaxy Watch. Tizen-enabled devices can be connected or disconnected through the Remote Device Manager if they are on the same network. Once the connection is made, a device log is shown in the Log View. You can also use the interface of the Remote Device Manager for executing SDB shell commands.
      Prerequisites: Tizen Studio 2.0 or higher
      Launch a project with Remote Device Manager
      Step 1: Disable Bluetooth
      If the watch has not been upgraded and the Tizen version is below 5.0, Bluetooth should be disabled during this process. In upgraded watches, you don’t need to disable Bluetooth.
      Path: Settings > Connections > Bluetooth

Figure 1: Disabling Bluetooth
      Step 2: Enable debugging mode
      Make sure debugging mode is enabled. You can enable debugging mode from the Settings menu, as shown below.
      Path: Settings > About Watch > Debugging is turned on

Figure 2: Enabling debugging mode
      Step 3: Set the Wi-Fi to Always on
      This step is optional, but to avoid any unnecessary issues, it is better to set the Wi-Fi to Always on. Leaving the setting on Auto can sometimes create issues.
      Path: Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Always on

Figure 3: Setting the Wi-Fi to Always on
      Caution: Setting the Wi-Fi to Always on can drain the battery drastically. After debugging, it should be set back to Auto again for better battery life. Step 4: Connect to the network
      Connect the watch to the same network as your PC.
      Choose either of the following ways to connect the devices to the same network:
      • By creating a mobile hotspot
      • By using Wi-Fi under the same router
      Step 5: Restart the watch
      After the previous steps have been completed, restart the device. If you do not, the connection setup shows an error.

Figure 4: Rebooting the watch
      Step 6: Establish the connection from the Remote Device Manager
      In Tizen Studio, go to Launch Remote Device Manager.

Figure 5: Launching the Remote Device Manager
      Scan for new devices. The window shows a list of available devices and their IP addresses. You can also add a device manually from the Remote Device Manager window.

Figure 6: Searching for available devices for connection
      To connect to the device, click on the Connect toggle next to the watch IP address and port information. The watch receives an RSA authentication request through a pop-up during this connection setup and it is mandatory to accept the RSA authentication to complete the process.

Figure 7: Connecting to the watch from the Remote Device Manager
      You are now all set to deploy your app from Tizen Studio to the wearable device.
      Step 7: Permit to install user applications
      As a security feature, the device or emulator you have connected to does not contain the necessary certificates for installing user applications, and you must install them before being able to run your application on it. To do so, select “Permit to install applications” from the context menu of the device in the Device Manager.
      If the “The permit to install application is not required for this device” appears, this step is unnecessary.

Figure 8: Setting the permit to install applications in the Device Manager
      Step 8: Launch your project
      Now, deploy your project on your connected watch, as shown in the image below.
      Path: Right-Click on the project > Run As > 1 Tizen Native Application

Figure 9: Deploying the project from Tizen Studio to a connected watch
      Some helpful tips for connecting your device with the Remote Device Manager
      Check the IP address of your watch from Connections > Wi-Fi -> Wi-Fi Networks > tap on the SSID (your Wi-Fi name) > IP address.
      If your device is already shown in the Remote Device Manager's history, delete it and try to connect again.
      Launch the Device Manager to see the Log View.

Figure 10: The Log View from Device Manager
      Make sure the watch is not connected with any other devices, including a phone. Otherwise, the connection fails and you receive the following error message:

Figure 11: Error message during multiple connections
      If you cannot find the watch after scanning for devices from the Remote Device Manager, make sure your device is on the same network. To check this, go to the command prompt on your PC and ping the IP address of the watch in the following manner:
      ping < Watch_IP >
      If the ping command fails to connect to the IP address of your watch, it is not on the same network, and the SDB / Remote Device Manager does not work. To fix this, you need to change the network settings of your router or PC. The issue can also be caused by firewall settings, although this is rare.
      Conclusion
      The main purpose of this article is to help new developers to deploy Tizen projects to a real device using the Tizen Remote Device Manager. Hopefully, this tutorial is helpful for beginners and gives them a good experience with Tizen Studio.
      If you have any other problems or queries regarding launching projects with the Remote Device Manager, feel free to reach out through the Samsung Developers Forum.
      View the full blog at its source