Quantcast

Better for All: Diversity in Design

STF News

2021-08-19-01-banner.png

Bringing diversity into your design goes beyond diverse imagery. To connect with a wide range of end users, it's essential to think about how your design can be more inclusive and accessible at all points of the process.

In this installment of our Better for All series we're looking at how designers can improve representation and make diversity the standard. Design is a powerful tool that can improve creativity, create inclusivity and improve accessibility. Here are some considerations to help you craft more diverse designs.

Better Representation

Society has been conditioned to believe that homogeneity and non-diversity is the default. However, no two humans are the same, making diversity the common reality that unites us.

While designing, start with empathy and think sensitively about your audiences. Ask yourself who has been underrepresented. Ask yourself if there's any bias in current design trends. Ask yourself if there is an opportunity to redefine stereotypes. Then, challenge the status-quo.

Some changes to improve representation are not making light beige skin tones the default for characters/avatars and avoid using blue and pink to represent men and women, respectively. Or take that a step further and create a non-binary character whose gender identity can't be categorized as exclusively male or female.

Better Accessibility in Design

Throughout the design process, it's important to think about how to make your work accessible to everyone. Fortunately, we live in a time with no shortage of technology that improves accessibility. Consider how your design works with screen readers, braille display, text-to-speech technology, screen magnifier, zoom in features, high contrast browsers or themes.

Some tools worth exploring:

Readability in design is especially important when you look at the numbers. 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women are color blind. 1 in 30 people have low vision. 1 in 188 people are blind. Color is one area that can greatly impair or improve readability. Try and use color to highlight or complement and ensure sufficient contrast between text and background.

Better Cultural References

While diverse representation is the goal, make sure to avoid stereotypical depictions of minority groups. Do your research and engage with the community you're looking to represent. They can help you be mindful of the history behind certain design patterns, symbols or cultural differences that are not easily recognizable to those outside of the culture.

Start your research here with this article from The Next Web, called How to avoid stereotypes when designing for global markets.

Even color isn't universal in its cultural interpretations. For example, red has positive connotations in China, as opposed to negative connotations in Western culture. Not to say that you should avoid certain colors, but when designing for a global audience, you'll want to consider the different cultural context around colors.

Design plays a big part in how we perceive our world and interact with it. Considering diversity in your design is an important step towards building a world where we all feel welcome.

We hope you find our Better for All series helpful in shaping a more diverse and inclusive space. Stay tuned for more blog posts in our series on diverse design and improving accessibility to create an experience that's better for all.

Follow us on Twitter at @samsung_dev for more tips on designing and developing for Samsung.

View the full blog at its source

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By STF News
      We live in an era where digital technology and art coexist. Samsung has been offering curated art selections since 2017, with The Frame Art Store providing access to an expansive range of artworks from world-renowned galleries and museums.

On Samsung Neo QLED, the company is partnering with Jibin Im, a pop artist, to display a wide selection of his artworks. Im has been transforming ordinary spaces into galleries and delivering art to audiences with minimal access to art galleries — calling the concept ‘Art Delivery’.

Samsung’s Newsroom sat down with Jibin Im, who actively interacts with the public who views his art.

▲ Pop artist Jibin Im

‘Art Delivery’ Provides a Close Connection and Positive Influence
      Im realizes that lately it has been difficult to visit museums in person, which is why he started to engage in his ‘Art Delivery’ project. By installing his art in ordinary settings like street corners and bus stops, everyone can truly enjoy art anywhere at any given time. The artist’s approach aligns with Samsung’s ‘Screens Everywhere’ vision, which drives the company’s goal to provide content and information to customers anytime and anywhere through screen that fits various lifestyles.

Recently, Im has exhibited an installation inspired by ‘[email protected]’, a bear-shaped toy that has become a symbol of modern expression. “[email protected]’s characteristics of constant transformation into various forms and value depending on added elements are quite similar to how people in the modern society are,” he added.

The Stunning Technology of Quantum Mini LED Reveals Every Hidden Detail and Color in Art
      Im, who carefully curates colors to represent a spectrum of emotions in his art, is looking forward to showing his work on Samsung QLEDs. He says, “Neo QLED delicately adjusts screen brightness, bringing life-like pictures at its intended color and texture to the miniscule level of details.” Im mixes his own colors and is extremely sensitive to color tone, and Neo QLED meets his standards in color display.

The Quantum Mini LED technology in Samsung QLEDs reveals not only fine details on screen but also a wide spectrum with thousands of colors. As a testament to its accurate color reproduction, Samsung’s all new 2022 QLED models received the world’s first ‘Pantone Validated’ certification from Pantone for its accurate expression of 2,030 Pantone colors and the newly added 110 skin tone shades.

Since Im uses a great deal of color in his artworks, they look breathtaking on Samsung QLEDs through the power of Mini LED technology. He mentioned how he “[uses] a wide array of colors to evoke different emotions and exude a certain type of energy in [his] works,” ultimately to convey the multitude of feelings that we experience in everyday life. “Samsung Neo QLED is the best device that will perfectly display the color and texture I want to express,” he added.

Im says he is looking forward to kickstarting various projects in Korea and hopefully reaching audiences across the globe. His artworks will be shown on Samsung’s 2022 Neo QLED (QN85).

View the full article
    • By STF News
      Many of us remember playing with clay in childhood, making sculptures of all shapes and sizes. Clay is a medium that allows us to bring imaginary worlds to life in new and exciting ways, realize our dreams and create unique experiences that are special to us as individuals.

Jay, a professional clay artisan, knows better than anyone the charm of bringing dreams to life with clay. Through his partnership with Samsung Electronics, he managed to capture the monitor of every gamers’ dreams as it has never been seen before – the Odyssey Neo G9 at a scale of 1:10.

In order to hear more about the process that went into developing this extra-special clay creation for Samsung, Samsung Newsroom sat down with Jay to get some behind-the-scenes insights.

Embracing a New Subject Matter
      Having made a name for himself by crafting intricate sculptures of sports stars and celebrities, Jay is not one to shy away from a challenge. “As a clay artist, I am always willing to try different things and embrace new subject matters,” he noted. “My previous works are mostly about people or animals, but when Samsung reached out asking me to make a sculpture of their leading gaming monitor, I thought that this would be a great challenge for me.”

But sports stars, celebrities and pets pose different challenges to that of crafting products such as monitors. “The biggest difference between making human figurines and crafting this monitor with clay is that the techniques used are completely different.”

From Technology to Art
      People might underestimate how long a sculpture measuring just 12.5cm wide and 6cm tall takes to create. Given every intricate detail that has to be considered, paired with the truly unique design of the Odyssey Neo G9, the process was a labor of love for Jay.

“I wished to fully replicate the monitor using clay,” assured Jay. “In order to achieve this, I needed to be sure to include as many of its details as possible and sculpted the work in precise proportion to the real product.” All in all, creating the replica of the full gaming setup – including the monitor, a model of professional gamer Faker, a computer, a desk and a chair – took a total of around 10 days.

The unique design of the monitor meant that choosing a specific feature to highlight during the sculpting process was no easy process. But for Jay, a few features stood out to him immediately. “During sculpting, I wanted to highlight the impressive size of the monitor, which is 49-inches and filled my whole desk,” he noted. “The monitor has a 1000R curvature, one of the main things you just can’t miss about it, and when it’s turned on, its mind-blowing backlighting system changes color according to the colors on-screen. I just knew I had to highlight these things in my work.”

Bringing the Unique Form of the Odyssey Neo G9 to Life
      While the end result is truly impressive, the sculpting process was not without its challenges. “The thing that took the longest was crafting the curvature of the Odyssey Neo G9,” said Jay. “I had to sculpt the curvature of the monitor slowly using a small knife – something that was definitely one of the most time-consuming steps throughout the whole process.”

Thanks to Jay’s dedicated efforts, his clay replica boasts a perfect 1000R curvature, just like the real-life Odyssey Neo G9 monitor. “Along with its stand-out curvature, I wanted people to get a feel for its shiny finish that struck me so much when I first unboxed the monitor,” he noted. “To present this glossy white exterior as is featured on the product, I polished the surface of the clay to make it shine.”

What’s more, the Odyssey Neo G9’s rear infinity core lighting and CoreSync is one of the most notable features of the monitor. CoreSync is the technology that automatically analyzes the color at the center of the screen and radiates the same color lighting from the back – and it wasn’t an easy feat to recreate this.

“While it took a significant amount of time to fully represent the overall appearance of the monitor, the lighting in particular generated the most challenges during the whole process,” Jay recalled. “I spent a long time trying various methods before finding the best way to present this synchronous lighting capability. After learning about the different color settings in the lighting system of the real monitor, I decided to use LED lights with similar colors to mimic the system as closely as possible.” While this approach may seem simple enough, it wasn’t the only element Jay had to consider.

“The most difficult challenge was in finding a material to cover the LED lights in order to let the light shine through,” said Jay. “I initially used clay to cover the light, but the lack of transparency didn’t allow the light through, and when I tried a thin white plastic film, I still faced the same issue. Finally, I decided to use lamination paper, as it is both thin and transparent, which covered the LED lights while still letting light through. I was very relieved that my hard work indeed paid off.”

Taking the Monitor Experience to New Levels
      After replicating the monitor, Jay concluded that not only is the Odyssey Neo G9 a piece of technological innovation – it is also art. “Its appearance, the curved design and the unique backlighting system are what truly make it a piece of art,” noted Jay. What’s more, Jay’s viewers enjoyed the finished replica just as much as he did. “My viewers really like the work and even wanted to see more of the production process behind it.”

With this astonishing clay replica, Samsung and Jay have brought the monitor category to life in ways never seen before – just as the Odyssey Neo G9 itself is a culmination of Samsung’s efforts to transform the gaming experience for players around the world.

To see more about how Jay brought the Odyssey Neo G9 to life with clay, take a look at the video here.

View the full article
    • By STF News
      The last few decades have seen art and technology intersect at a previously unimagined rate – both for using technology to create art, and also to make art more accessible to the public. Samsung Electronics has been at the forefront of this change, and has now partnered with the Louvre to aid its mission of sharing art with as many people as possible via The Frame and the Art Store.

The Louvre has a fascinating and rich history; a former royal palace, it has been a cornerstone of French history for over eight centuries. Open to the public since 1793, the Louvre’s collections are among the finest in the world, spanning several thousands of years and regions of origin from America to the borders of Asia and beyond. Divided into eight departments, it houses some of most recognizable art pieces in the world, including the Mona Lisa, the Winged Victory of Samothrace, and the Venus de Milo.

Samsung Newsroom spoke with Yann Le Touher, Head of Development, Brand Licensing and Commercial Partnerships at the Louvre, to learn more about what users can expect from this exciting partnership.

▲ Pyramide et Palais du musée du Louvre (2021) by Nicolas Guiraud

LFH (Louvre From Home)
      Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, everyday life has been flipped on its head. The arts and entertainment were among the industries hardest hit, but that didn’t stop the public’s yearning to enjoy cultural pursuits. In order to allow people to still be able to experience its collections, the Louvre sought out new and innovative method of sharing art including uploading its entire art collection online.

According to Le Touher, this has been a crucial step in making sure the Louvre accomplishes its main mission of sharing art with as many people as possible. “It is important to share knowledge on as many of the artworks preserved at the Louvre as possible,” highlighted Le Touher. “We believe this online platform, which presents thousands of our artworks, is useful not only to art historians and researchers, but also art lovers.”

▲ Mona Lisa (1503-1519) by Leonardo da Vinci

Samsung and the Louvre’s partnership is in line with the goal of bringing artwork closer to art fanatics around the world thanks to Samsung TVs’ pristine picture quality and lifelike images. The Frame is known for its ability to display images that look remarkably like physical prints and paintings, with the screen’s signature Quantum Dot technology making colors more vibrant and contrast sharper. “We were impressed by the features offered by The Frame and were interested in the idea of bringing art into peoples’ homes as well as making it more accessible,” noted Le Touher.

As an iconic structure itself, photos of the Louvre itself are also available, bringing Parisian chic directly to you so as to bring the entire Louvre experience to your home. The Art Store provides access to an expansive range of artworks from world-renowned galleries and museums directly to your home, elevating any living space.

Find Your Inspiration
      The Louvre has cemented itself as a place of inspiration for artists and art-enthusiasts alike. “The greatest architects, painters, sculptors, and craftsmen not only imagined and embellished the palace, but also lived, worked, and exhibited their work at the Louvre for over three hundred years,” said Le Touher.

In September, the Louvre opened its latest exhibition dedicated to Greek art. This project highlights the cultural, historical and artistic links between France and Greece in the 19th century and shows how the rediscovery of Greek antiquity changed the European view of Greece.

Thanks to The Frame’s ever-growing library of art some of that inspiration can now be yours too. There are 40 pieces of artwork from the Louvre and photographs of the iconic building, available on the Art Store today.

▲ Le Sacre de Napoléon (1806-1807) by Eugène Delacroix

“Our selection of artworks from the Louvre include great masterpieces, such as the Liberty Leading the People, and the Grande Odalisque,” noted Le Touher. “We also want to promote lesser-known paintings that are important and meaningful in art history.” The Louvre and the Art Store partnership has, for example, added the painting Deux chiens de chasse liés à une souche (1548) by Jacopo Bassano, a monumental piece as the first animal portrait in Western painting, albeit less known than works such as the Mona Lisa.

“We are proud to be part of the partners highlighted in the Art Store,” affirmed Le Touher. “Thanks to Samsung’s technology and innovation, we have the opportunity to give people the impression of having a reproduction of their favorite work at home. Obviously, this does not replace a visit to the museum but we strongly believe it can bring inspiration and joy to many homes.”

View the full article
    • By STF News
      Now more than ever, streaming has developed to be at the core of home entertainment. New streaming platforms are continuously being released and the industry’s growth is accelerating faster than ever before as more and more people are enjoying their favorite TV shows, movies and more from the comfort of their own homes.

Powered by the Tizen OS, Samsung Electronics’ TV lineup provides users with a central hub for seamless streaming experiences. Along with Samsung’s cutting-edge picture quality, state-of-the-art sound and user-friendly OS, the company’s partnerships with leading content providers such as HBO are bringing users’ at-home streaming experiences to the next level.

In order to learn more, Samsung Newsroom sat down with Jennifer Mirgorod, Head of Partner Management and Marketing for WarnerMedia, to hear about the state of streaming, the future of the industry and how HBO’s partnership with Samsung is bringing users a truly premium experience.

Q: Please introduce yourself and your role at WarnerMedia.

A: As head of partnership management and partner marketing, I’m responsible for the distribution and marketing of WarnerMedia’s streaming services including HBO Max, its transactional video business and the linear television networks. I lead the team managing our multichannel video programming distributor partners in North America as well as our global platform partnerships, including with Samsung.

Q: Streaming services have seen massive growth over the last year. What are some notable trends the industry has seen over the past year?

A: Since my career in media began more than 25 years ago, I’ve witnessed the entirety of the streaming industry’s lifespan. We’ve seen massive increase in its popularity over the years and the global over-the-top services market size is projected to reach $86.8 billion by 2026.1

As more streaming platforms emerge, content is so critically important to any platform. This trend, then, has been of rising importance for ensuring that the most iconic titles – from Warner Bros. and across our entire portfolio – live on HBO Max. The relative scarcity of premium content in our industry has made owning franchises like Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, and the DC Universe, among others, has been an incredibly powerful differentiator for WarnerMedia.

Q: With more consumers “cord cutting” and moving to OTT services, how do you see the market for premium content playing out over the next decade?

A: The past few years have been described as the era of “peak TV”, with hundreds of new television series being released each year, and one thing has remained clear: consumers crave premium content. It’s premium stories that make their way into the zeitgeist and resonate with large audiences, regardless of the platform on which they premiere. HBO has long been the home for exactly that type of content and, with HBO Max, we fully expect to build on that.

Q: What changes has HBO made to its platform to promote growth and provide subscribers new experiences?

A: There are quite a few things we’ve done both to the product itself as well as our approach to provide the best possible experience to our customers.

Throughout HBO Max’s first year, our product team has focused on evolving the app by adding new features to ensure that the platform provides a premium experience that is fitting for the premium content it houses. That means adding new personalization features including “For You” trays, age-targeted kid profiles, improved design, improved content details pages, accessibility features and others. We also took a bold step late last year and decided to release our 2021 Warner Bros. theatrical slate in theaters and on HBO Max on the same day, giving customers the ultimate choice on how they wanted to consume content, which proved to be a solid strategy.

Our tech team is also working hard to deliver the best viewing experiences which includes support for HDR10 and 4K streaming. As we regularly update and release new content via HBO Max, you’ll see more and more content available in these formats.

Q: What have been some of the biggest benefits of HBO Max being available on Samsung Smart TVs?

A: There have been plenty of benefits we’ve found in partnering with Samsung and leaning into Tizen’s distinct operating system. Thanks to Tizen OS, Samsung’s TV and projectors allow us to take HBO Max into many different large-format surfaces and enable high-quality as well as varied interactions with users.

It also offers an integrated, streamlined experience for users for more enjoyable viewing. The HBO Max app will be featured on the launch bar for 2021 and 2022 televisions for convenient access, and we’re leveraging the strength of Tizen’s Universal Guide feature in those regions where it’s available. We have also deepened our integration of HBO Max content into Tizen’s search functionality to provide a more seamless experience for customers from start to finish.

Q: Is there anything you can share on the HBO Max roadmap that, along with Samsung’s Smart TVs, will help provide consumers with more valuable experiences?

A: Samsung is a valued partner of ours and we’re looking forward to building on a solid foundation we’ve built together since the launch of HBO Max. Samsung customers can expect key updates to the app experience in the coming weeks including the addition of 4K, Dolby Atmos and 5.1 audio. Also on the roadmap are enhanced functionality with Bixby, as well as the addition of ‘Continue Watching’ and ‘Personalized Preview’ features that will help to create an even more seamless and customized viewing experience.

Q: Lastly, are there any exciting movies and shows that HBO Max subscribers can look forward to later this year?

A: Absolutely. We are excited about a number of new series and movies set for release throughout the second half of this year and plans for expansion into new markets.

Our team is excited about the recently launched Gossip Girl series reboot, as well as the original film No Sudden Move, plus new Max originals The Sex Lives of College Girls from Mindy Kaling and the next chapter of Sex and the City called And Just Like That. There’s also the return of HBO-favorites including Succession, Insecure and Curb Your Enthusiasm. On the movie front, new Warner Bros. theatrical releases have been and will be released on the platform on the same days as theaters with titles including Space Jam: A New Legacy, The Suicide Squad, The Many Saints of Newark and Dune, among others.

1 Over the Top (OTT) Services Market Latest Industry Trends, Size, Share, Statistics, Applications and Competition Strategies by 2028, Fortune Business Insights
      View the full article
    • By STF News
      When you design with diversity, equity and inclusion in mind you're not only doing the right thing, but you're also creating more opportunities for growth. Through better design you can improve inclusivity and make diversity the standard.
      In this installment of our 'Better for All' series, Eglantina Hasaj from Cogul Planet and Manpreet Kaur from Themes Digital share how they've been able to create more inclusive designs that speak to more people.
      What does diversity, equity and inclusion mean to you?
      Eglantina: It's part of a well-geared machine. Incorporating these principles into your work and environment makes the process pleasant; it also as opens new opportunities for your business.
      Manpreet: It means to include and respect people with different ethnicity, geography, culture, and beliefs to have a more inclusive society.
      How do you incorporate inclusive design into your work?
      Eglantina: Our store provides content globally. Therefore, we study and have concept meetings to develop the most appropriate, inclusive designs that fit the national, racial, and religious cultures of our audiences. We always try not to offend or hurt anyone.
      Manpreet: There are two approaches. First is to not design stuff which promotes non-equality and the second is to create designs that promote inclusiveness. When designing new Themes, we make sure not to design anything which would offend any groups of people or individual beliefs. We also create multiple Themes with diversity in mind.
      What inspired you to start making inclusive designs?
      Eglantina: We've always thought about how to make our Themes more inclusive for our audiences. When we see a group of people embracing what is right for them, it inspires us to create more inclusive designs and makes us feel part of the group.
      Manpreet: Being conscious about our surroundings and society at large, we saw a lot of bias towards certain sets of people. This inspired us to do what we could to create inclusivity. Just because a person believes in a particular way of living or comes from a different background, should not be criteria to exclude them.
      What are some of your inclusion-focused designs for sale in the Galaxy Store?
      Eglantina: The "Black Lives Matter: Rainbow" Theme was created last year in response to the BLM movement that was happening in the US. We saw a very positive response from that inclusive design.
      Manpreet: A couple of examples are our Themes "Black History" for Black History Month and "Rainbow" for Pride.

Where do you source best practices and resources for inclusive design work?
      Eglantina: We stay up-to-date with news, trends, movements, etc. through social media and news channels that provide information from around the world. Another source we take into consideration are comments and messages from Samsung Galaxy users.
      How has designing with DE&I in mind influenced your career?
      Eglantina: It makes you a more creative designer, since you are exposed to endless inspiration.
      Manpreet: It makes your work as a designer more satisfying and fulfilling.
      Do you have any advice on how others can design with DE&I in mind?
      Eglantina: Understanding and keeping an open mind about other peoples' ideas and views in your workspace or even among your audience will help you develop a strong presence as a designer.
      Manpreet: Make it about the greater good. When we all work to promote DE&I, we can make this world a better place.
      Thanks to Eglantina and Manpreet for sharing their insights on designing for DE&I. Considering diversity in your design is an important step towards building a world where we all feel welcome.
      We hope you found our 'Better for All' series helpful in shaping a more diverse and inclusive space. Stay tuned for the final blog post in our series on improving accessibility in design to create an experience that's better for all.
      Follow us on Twitter at @samsung_dev for more tips on designing and developing for Samsung.
      View the full blog at its source