Quantcast

[Interview] Samsung x The Louvre: Bringing Timeless Masterpieces Straight Into Your Home

STF News

The last few decades have seen art and technology intersect at a previously unimagined rate – both for using technology to create art, and also to make art more accessible to the public. Samsung Electronics has been at the forefront of this change, and has now partnered with the Louvre to aid its mission of sharing art with as many people as possible via The Frame and the Art Store.

The Louvre has a fascinating and rich history; a former royal palace, it has been a cornerstone of French history for over eight centuries. Open to the public since 1793, the Louvre’s collections are among the finest in the world, spanning several thousands of years and regions of origin from America to the borders of Asia and beyond. Divided into eight departments, it houses some of most recognizable art pieces in the world, including the Mona Lisa, the Winged Victory of Samothrace, and the Venus de Milo.

Samsung Newsroom spoke with Yann Le Touher, Head of Development, Brand Licensing and Commercial Partnerships at the Louvre, to learn more about what users can expect from this exciting partnership.

The-Frame_The-Louvre_interview_main1.jpg

Pyramide et Palais du musée du Louvre (2021) by Nicolas Guiraud

LFH (Louvre From Home)

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, everyday life has been flipped on its head. The arts and entertainment were among the industries hardest hit, but that didn’t stop the public’s yearning to enjoy cultural pursuits. In order to allow people to still be able to experience its collections, the Louvre sought out new and innovative method of sharing art including uploading its entire art collection online.

According to Le Touher, this has been a crucial step in making sure the Louvre accomplishes its main mission of sharing art with as many people as possible. “It is important to share knowledge on as many of the artworks preserved at the Louvre as possible,” highlighted Le Touher. “We believe this online platform, which presents thousands of our artworks, is useful not only to art historians and researchers, but also art lovers.”

The-Frame_The-Louvre_interview_main2.jpg

Mona Lisa (1503-1519) by Leonardo da Vinci

Samsung and the Louvre’s partnership is in line with the goal of bringing artwork closer to art fanatics around the world thanks to Samsung TVs’ pristine picture quality and lifelike images. The Frame is known for its ability to display images that look remarkably like physical prints and paintings, with the screen’s signature Quantum Dot technology making colors more vibrant and contrast sharper. “We were impressed by the features offered by The Frame and were interested in the idea of bringing art into peoples’ homes as well as making it more accessible,” noted Le Touher.

As an iconic structure itself, photos of the Louvre itself are also available, bringing Parisian chic directly to you so as to bring the entire Louvre experience to your home. The Art Store provides access to an expansive range of artworks from world-renowned galleries and museums directly to your home, elevating any living space.

Find Your Inspiration

The Louvre has cemented itself as a place of inspiration for artists and art-enthusiasts alike. “The greatest architects, painters, sculptors, and craftsmen not only imagined and embellished the palace, but also lived, worked, and exhibited their work at the Louvre for over three hundred years,” said Le Touher.

In September, the Louvre opened its latest exhibition dedicated to Greek art. This project highlights the cultural, historical and artistic links between France and Greece in the 19th century and shows how the rediscovery of Greek antiquity changed the European view of Greece.

Thanks to The Frame’s ever-growing library of art some of that inspiration can now be yours too. There are 40 pieces of artwork from the Louvre and photographs of the iconic building, available on the Art Store today.

The-Frame_The-Louvre_interview_main3.jpg

Le Sacre de Napoléon (1806-1807) by Eugène Delacroix

“Our selection of artworks from the Louvre include great masterpieces, such as the Liberty Leading the People, and the Grande Odalisque,” noted Le Touher. “We also want to promote lesser-known paintings that are important and meaningful in art history.” The Louvre and the Art Store partnership has, for example, added the painting Deux chiens de chasse liés à une souche (1548) by Jacopo Bassano, a monumental piece as the first animal portrait in Western painting, albeit less known than works such as the Mona Lisa.

“We are proud to be part of the partners highlighted in the Art Store,” affirmed Le Touher. “Thanks to Samsung’s technology and innovation, we have the opportunity to give people the impression of having a reproduction of their favorite work at home. Obviously, this does not replace a visit to the museum but we strongly believe it can bring inspiration and joy to many homes.”

The-Frame_The-Louvre_interview_main4F.jp

View the full article

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By STF News
      Samsung Electronics today announced a new partnership with CJ ENM, Asia’s leading entertainment and media group behind the Oscar-winning film ‘Parasite’, to build a virtual production studio to spearhead the production of future video content. Combining its cutting-edge Micro LED technology with CJ ENM’s globally recognized content production of television series and films, Samsung is taking the next step in a new initiative to innovate in the rapidly expanding virtual production market.

Through this partnership, Samsung will supply its state-of-the-art display technology, The Wall, to CJ ENM’s virtual studio, a part of its television and film production studio complex scheduled to open in Paju, Korea later this year. The custom virtual production volume studio will be the first in the world to leverage The Wall’s boundless LED technology, unlocking new possibilities for video content production operations and virtual production solutions. The main display will be installed in an oval shape with a diameter of 20 meters and a height of seven meters or more, creating a seemingly endless backdrop to capture content.

“We are excited to collaborate with CJ ENM to build a virtual production studio featuring Samsung’s most cutting-edge display technologies,” said Jong-hee Han, President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “With this partnership, Samsung is launching a new virtual production industry initiative with a commitment to deliver innovative products and solutions that offer the optimal environment for next-generation content production.”

This virtual production studio will use LED displays and connected cameras to create virtual settings in real-time. This solution will save time and reduce image compositing and on-location production costs while helping filmmakers to see the camera on the live-action set in any direction.

The Wall’s modular technology allows creators to design environments to their specific requirements, enabling a variety of installation options such as ceiling installation and convex or concave design, depending on the internal studio design.

The 2021 model of The Wall (Model Name: IWA) with Micro LED technology enhances visual expression with ultra-deep blacks and wide viewing angles, giving filmmakers and content creators the ultimate canvas to fulfill their visions. The modular screens are ideal for studios thanks to their precise color expression, HDR10+ and cinema LED picture quality technology and optimized frame rates for production houses. A new molding process is also applied to the modular surfaces of The Wall to minimize any moiré patterns from forming, a nuisance typically associated with filming standard LED screens.

The Wall’s massive screen measures over 1,000 inches, producing vibrant colors and details supporting up to 16K high-resolution1 content. Dedicated frame rates for studio production, a new addition to this year’s model, allows producers to run content at frame rates such as 23.976, 29.97 and 59.94Hz, ensuring seamless videos sync with the most widely used camera framerates. Frame Rate Sync technology further reduces screen disruptions for true-to-life accuracy. With thoughtful dust and contamination-resistant LED protective films, plus a variety of easy-to-use solutions, such as remote management and color adjustment, The Wall is built for convenient management in any environment.

CJ ENM Virtual Studio Concept Visual

Both companies expect this collaboration to improve content production possibilities while satisfying a variety of customers by reimagining content production for today’s fast-paced entertainment environment.

“The strategic partnership with Samsung will allow CJ ENM to push forward the creation of a new powerhouse of the next-generation content,” said Ho-sung Kang, CJ ENM CEO. “While CJ ENM is investing $4.4 billion over the next five years in entertainment content, we are taking the lead in building a global No. 1 production studio to become a world leading entertainment company.”

About CJ ENM
      CJ ENM is Asia’s leading entertainment and lifestyle company headquartered in Seoul, Korea. Since 1995, the company has engaged in a wide array of businesses across the industry spectrum including media content, music, film, performing arts, and animation, providing its top notch original content to various media platforms. CJ ENM has created, produced and distributed globally acclaimed contents including Cannes-winning film Parasite, Tony Award-winning musical Kinky Boots, record-breaking Korean box office hits Roaring Currents, Extreme Job, Ode to My Father, along with sought-after television series such as Crash Landing On You, Mr. Sunshine, Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, Grandpas over Flowers, I Can See Your Voice and more. To offer the best K-Culture experiences worldwide, CJ ENM presents KCON/KCON:TACT, the world’s largest K-culture convention & festival celebrating Hallyu and Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA), Asia’s biggest music awards. With regional offices in Asia, Europe and the U.S., CJ ENM currently employs over 3,600 people.

1 16K resolution is only available for horizontal layouts with a 15,360 x 2,160-pixel arrangement.
      View the full article
    • By STF News
      With their 2021 MICRO LED line, Samsung is bringing users breathtaking visual experiences on an ultra-large TV for the very first time. In order to celebrate the next-generation display technology of MICRO LED, globally renowned media art and design studio Refik Anadol Studio has custom-designed a series of dynamic data sculptures, entitled Artificial Landscapes.

Mirroring the way Samsung seeks to bring transformation to its users’ daily lives through innovative technologies, the data sculptures that comprise the collaboration explore the connection between reality, simulation and systemic reflection.

Blurring the Lines
      Anadol’s body of work addresses the challenges and possibilities imposed on mankind by ubiquitous computing, and what it means to be a human in the age of machine intelligence. Artificial Landscapes consists of three unique chapters, each offering a visual representation of how memories of nature can be simulated and represented through cutting-edge machine learning algorithms such as those included in Samsung’s innovative new MICRO LED TV line.

Fluid Dreams

Fluid Dreams, the first in the Artificial Landscapes collection, draws inspiration from fluid dynamics. The millions of particles that form the MICRO LED display are illustrated in this piece through cinematic visuals that resemble the dynamic movements of the sea and ocean surfaces, with the waves transforming into shades of Samsung Blue as a nod to the way the MICRO LED line serves as a means for visualizing information.

Land Dreams

Land Dreams, the second data sculpture in Artificial Landscapes, offers a unique visual experience showcasing the natural colors able to be showcased on MICRO LED displays, and is based on the data of landscapes and ecological scenery of the world around us. The piece incorporates pigments, shapes and patterns that we associate with our experiences of nature as an homage to the realism offered in the display quality of the innovative MICRO LED TV line.

Space Dreams

The final piece in the Artificial Landscapes series is Space Dreams, an artwork that takes a more avant-garde approach to showcasing cartographic aesthetics. In the same way that the MICRO LED TV’s Monolith design removes the boundaries between content and screen, the artwork applies machine learning to millions of celestial images of Earth’s topology in order to generate a layered design that removes the boundaries between known and unknown, and alludes to an infinite cosmos of unimaginably vast data, all without bounds.

Like a canvas, a screen can contain anything. Standing out thanks to its simplicity, Samsung’s MICRO LED TV’s Monolith design allows users to make the most of their viewing experiences without any obstructions. Both Samsung’s designers and Refik Anadol have sought to demonstrate the sheer possibility of the MICRO LED display with Artificial Landscapes, and the company will continue to work towards the future and all the possibilities it holds with their latest display innovations.

You can also find more details at Design Samsung website.

View the full article
    • By STF News
      Our second annual Best of Galaxy Store Awards were announced at the Samsung Developer Conference in October 2019! The awards recognize publishers who have stood out amongst the crowd in the Galaxy Store's boutique of expertly-curated apps.
      To kick off our Best of Galaxy Store Awards 2019 series, we spoke with Tomas Joscak from Vienna Studios, the winner of the award for Best Indie Watch Designer.
      How did your path as a developer/designer begin?
      I got my first smartwatch as a present from my brother Jakub, and I wanted to have my own designs as a watch face. After playing around I finally found a big opportunity at the Galaxy Store, where a lot of smartwatch users and later Vienna Studios fans liked my models.
      Tell us a little about your career with Vienna Studios as a developer and a designer. How did you join these two creative forces together to make such a stunning product?
      I have a strong technical background and PhD degrees from technical universities in Austria and Slovakia. This might be why I have an affinity for classic mechanical time piece design. On the other hand, I was a CEO of start-up company Dascanova for seven years. I do think that combination between engineering/developer skills and leading a store like a real business on the highest professional level possible, makes the success in this case.
      How long have you been building for Samsung? We understand your watch face is exclusive to the Galaxy Store. Why choose Samsung?
      My first free watch face was published only one year ago. I could not believe when I saw thousands of downloads in the statistic tool after the first day. I knew immediately that this is the right place, and there is a huge opportunity on this platform.
      What was your inspiration for building watch faces for the Galaxy Store?
      The design possibilities on a smartwatch are without limits. However, a lot of users like the look of a luxury mechanical watch. I do try to combine these two factors, and I do offer a classic design with functions and mechanisms, which could not be realized in the analog form.

We noticed your all your watch faces contain significant features such as animations and motion. Can you share about your experience marrying design and technology? How does Samsung help you create the best user experience?
      Samsung provides us with a powerful instrument where a watch face could be designed and composed without knowledge of coding. This helps to focus on the most important thing - what the user is looking for, which is a great design with all important functions included. I try to always add an extra element or factor, making my fans and customers happy with my products.
      As an example, I use the gyroscopic 3D feature to reveal advanced information or functionality, such as a hidden, animated heart to show heart rate.

Tell us about the Samsung Developer Program. How did you get involved?
      I feel supported as a developer since day one, as I opened my first store.  However, after I was informed that I’m a Top Seller on the Galaxy Store, I joined the program, I now feel I am part of team. The most amazing experience was to meet all of the members live at SDC 2019 and to discuss future development opportunities, which we are now a part of.
      What advice do you have for other developers, designers, or creators who want to grow with Samsung and get the most of the product family?
      There is a lot of information, blogs, video-tutorials, and presentations out there. I was doing research, and learned from Samsung team members and successful designers, weeks before I started selling on the Galaxy Store. Advice on how to be successful was compressed into three words by Chis Shomo from Infinity Watchfaces: design, branding & promo-video.
      Thanks to Tomas Joscak for sharing his insights on what it takes to blend creativity and technology to create an elegant, luxury watch design.  If you're on a Samsung device, please check out his award-winning collection.
      Be sure to follow us on @samsung_dev for more interviews with the 'Best of' 2019 winners in the coming weeks.
      View the full blog at its source
    • By STF News
      Our second annual Best of Galaxy Store Awards were announced at the Samsung Developer Conference in October 2019! The awards recognize publishers who have stood out amongst the crowd in the Galaxy Store's boutique of expertly-curated apps.
      To kick off our Best of Galaxy Store Awards 2019 series, we spoke with Tomas Joscak from Vienna Studios, the winner of the award for Best Indie Watch Designer.
      I got my first smartwatch as a present from my brother Jakub, and I wanted to have my own designs as a watch face. After playing around I finally found a big opportunity at the Galaxy Store, where a lot of smartwatch users and later Vienna Studios fans liked my models.
      Tell us a little about your career with Vienna Studios as a developer and a designer. How did you join these two creative forces together to make such a stunning product?
      I have a strong technical background and PhD degrees from technical universities in Austria and Slovakia. This might be why I have an affinity for classic mechanical time piece design. On the other hand, I was a CEO of start-up company Dascanova for seven years. I do think that combination between engineering/developer skills and leading a store like a real business on the highest professional level possible, makes the success in this case.
      How long have you been building for Samsung? We understand your watch face is exclusive to the Galaxy Store. Why choose Samsung?
      My first free watch face was published only one year ago. I could not believe when I saw thousands of downloads in the statistic tool after the first day. I knew immediately that this is the right place, and there is a huge opportunity on this platform.
      The design possibilities on a smartwatch are without limits. However, a lot of users like the look of a luxury mechanical watch. I do try to combine these two factors, and I do offer a classic design with functions and mechanisms, which could not be realized in the analog form.

We noticed your all your watch faces contain significant features such as animations and motion. Can you share about your experience marrying design and technology? How does Samsung help you create the best user experience?
      Samsung provides us with a powerful instrument where a watch face could be designed and composed without knowledge of coding. This helps to focus on the most important thing - what the user is looking for, which is a great design with all important functions included. I try to always add an extra element or factor, making my fans and customers happy with my products.
      As an example, I use the gyroscopic 3D feature to reveal advanced information or functionality, such as a hidden, animated heart to show heart rate.

I feel supported as a developer since day one, as I opened my first store.  However, after I was informed that I’m a Top Seller on the Galaxy Store, I joined the program, I now feel I am part of team. The most amazing experience was to meet all of the members live at SDC 2019 and to discuss future development opportunities, which we are now a part of.
      What advice do you have for other developers, designers, or creators who want to grow with Samsung and get the most of the product family?
      There is a lot of information, blogs, video-tutorials, and presentations out there. I was doing research, and learned from Samsung team members and successful designers, weeks before I started selling on the Galaxy Store. Advice on how to be successful was compressed into three words by Chis Shomo from Infinity Watchfaces: design, branding & promo-video.
      Thanks to Tomas Joscak for sharing his insights on what it takes to blend creativity and technology to create an elegant, luxury watch design.  If you're on a Samsung device, please check out his award-winning collection.
      Be sure to follow us on @samsung_dev for more interviews with the 'Best of' 2019 winners in the coming weeks.
    • By STF News
      Our second annual Best of Galaxy Store Awards were announced at the Samsung Developer Conference in October 2019! The awards recognize publishers who have stood out amongst the crowd in the Galaxy Store’s boutique of expertly-curated apps.

Samsung provides us with a powerful instrument where a watch face could be designed and composed without knowledge of coding. This helps to focus on the most important thing – what the user is looking for, which is a great design with all important functions included. I try to always add an extra element or factor, making my fans and customers happy with my products.

Thanks to Tomas Joscak for sharing his insights on what it takes to blend creativity and technology to create an elegant, luxury watch design.  If you’re on a Samsung device, please check out his award-winning collection.
      Be sure to follow us on @samsung_dev for more interviews with the ‘Best of’ 2019 winners in the coming weeks.