Quantcast

[Interview] Whanki Museum X The Frame Art Store – A Partnership That Brings Us Into the Artistic World of Abstract Master KIM Whanki

Samsung’s The Frame Art Store not only offers customization to fit any home décor and stunning QLED picture quality, but also transforms the user’s display into a window to the world. In October, the Art Store is introducing its partnership with Whanki Museum and the collection of world-renowned artist Kim Whanki.

As a pioneer of Korean abstract painting, Kim Whanki created his unique and characteristic art with refined, formative expression that is based on Korean lyricism. He was recognized for his artworks in centers for modern art that include Paris and New York.

Samsung Electronics has been partnering with Whanki Museum since 2018 to introduce a range of Kim Whanki’s artworks to global customers and provide easier access to Korean modern art.

Samsung Newsroom reached out to Whanki Museum curator Min-A Sung to talk about how art can serve as a medium for both communication and empathy.

Fostering Artistic Energy and ‘Art For All’

Whanki_The_Frame_main1.jpg

▲ Exterior view of Whanki Museum

Whanki Museum, established in 1992, creates a variety of artistic and cultural content through the research, exhibition and publication of the work of contemporary artists. The museum also provides educational programs and seeks to embody the philosophy of ‘Art for All’ by running a range of programs that expose disadvantaged groups to art and culture. “Whanki Museum will become an open venue for facilitating communication and building empathy based on artistic energy,” says the museum representative. “The partnership with The Frame Art Store provides increased opportunities for us to share our culture and art.”

Whanki_The_Frame_main2.jpg

▲ Inside Whanki Museum

How Samsung Communicates With Global Consumers Through The Frame Art Store

The museum representative also mentions that the ways people consume art are changing. “Art now influences our day-to-day lives,” they say. “In order to keep up with these shifts, we need to introduce new ways for people to experience art, and try to partner with experts to combine art and IT technology.”

Whanki_The_Frame_main3.jpg

Morning Star, 1964

The representative adds that they have high hopes for the collaboration between the museum and Samsung. “Vivid color and contrast, which deliver a refined sense of rhythm, are key aspects of Kim’s artistic style,” they say. “The Frame’s QLED 4K display is the perfect medium for his work to be showcased to viewers around the world.”

With Quantum Dot technology that allows more than a billion colors to be displayed at 100% color volume, The Frame allows artistic intent to come through vividly on a bright screen with accurate color reproduction.

Master KIM Whanki’s Artistic Vision Realized on The Frame

Whanki Museum has introduced ten of Kim’s major works to The Frame Art Store since 2018. This has allowed users to enjoy major works such as Deer and Eternity Song, as well as a variety of pieces that were not easily accessible to the public before.

Whanki_The_Frame_main4.jpg

12-V-70 #172, 1970

In addition to displaying Kim’s artworks, The Frame Art Store also provides background information on the pieces. “The curatorial department has created descriptions for each artwork to provide resources that deliver a range of perspectives and introduce Kim’s artistic vision to more people,” relates the representative. “We hope the detailed explanations provided by Whanki Museum will help users experience the pieces in vivid and stunning quality, just as though they were viewing them in a gallery.”

The Frame Art Store offers a comprehensive, ever-expanding collection of artworks to satisfy customers’ needs and match any environment or atmosphere. Its catalog now includes around 1,500 artworks from a range of periods and styles that were sourced from 40 famous museums and galleries and are displayed in exceptional 4K resolution.

Whanki_The_Frame_main5.jpg

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Samsung Newsroom
      Since last year, Samsung Art Store users have been able to display iconic artwork from The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) on The Frame — transforming the TV into a digital canvas that infuses artistic flair into any space. By partnering with Samsung, the public has a chance to view historical artifacts through immersive digital experiences that can be enjoyed from home.

The Met seeks to expand art education while exploring new ways for technology to positively impact cultural exchange and inspire audiences around the world. The goal is to bridge the gap between the past and the present to create a future where beauty and creativity can flourish anywhere.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Stephen Mannello, Head of Retail and Licensing at The Met, to discuss the partnership with Samsung and how technology can positively influence the museum experience.

▲ The Metropolitan Museum of Art has partnered with Samsung Art Store to democratize access to its world-class collection of art.

A New Partnership for the Digital Age
      Q: What is your role at The Met? How do you influence the museum and visitor experience?

I’m the Head of Retail and Licensing at The Met which means I work with The Met Store and our licensees to develop products, publications and experiences that draw from the museum’s vast collection of art spanning 5,000 years and bring it into the hands of consumers around the world.

My role offers a unique opportunity to create a connection with visitors and consumers through products that engage, educate and inspire them to experience The Met’s 19 different collection areas in new ways. Proceeds from our work go back to support the study, conservation and presentation of The Met’s collection, so there is a tangible impact to the products and experiences we develop.

“We are looking forward to evolving and experimenting with how we continue The Met’s mission to bring art into the everyday, and technology is an essential mode of making that happen.”

Q: What was the initial focus for The Met when it began collaborating with Samsung Art Store last fall?

Working with Samsung Art Store allowed us to step into a unique space where technology meets digital innovation and interior design. Our inaugural collection spans time and place to include highlights from The Met’s 17 curatorial departments which users of The Frame can explore and display in their homes.

Sharing these beloved works with Samsung Art Store has allowed us to present a small part of what The Met has to offer to a global audience of art and design lovers like never before — and this is only the beginning of what we hope will be a longstanding relationship. We look forward to sharing more of our collection and exploring different thematic offerings that inspire and delight Samsung Art Store users in the future.

Q: Over the past few months, how have The Frame users responded to The Met’s collection?

We were overwhelmed to see how popular artwork from The Met has been on the platform. It is a true testament to the enduring appeal of pieces like Vincent van Gogh’s “Wheat Field with Cypresses” or Emanuel Leutze’s “Washington Crossing the Delaware” — both of which are popular attractions in our galleries and translate beautifully when experienced digitally on The Frame.

▲ “Wheat Field with Cypresses” by Vincent van Gogh on The Frame

Impressionism With The Met and Art Store
      Q: Samsung Art Store will feature a selection of Impressionist works this month from The Met’s collection. What is the significance of this new selection?

The Impressionist movement began in 1874, just four years after The Met was founded. While the two events are independent of each other, there is an interesting parallel in the revolutionary spirit of artists like Edgar Degas and Camille Pissarro — who led the charge in this radical style of artmaking that put a new emphasis on everyday life — and the foundation of The Met which sought to democratize art by bringing it to the masses.

Since the foundation of the movement 150 years ago, The Met has become home to dozens of renowned Impressionist pieces that endure as visitor favorites. The visual splendor of this artwork is supported by so many wonderful stories. For example, “The Monet Family in their Garden at Argenteuil” was painted by Edouard Manet in 1874 while the two artists were vacationing near one another. As this piece was being made, Monet in turn painted Manet, and Renoir simultaneously painted “Madame Monet and Her Son” (now in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.). These works of art speak volumes about the vibrant creative exchange that took place between Impressionists at the outset of the movement.

Q: Out of the artwork selected for Samsung Art Store, which three would you recommend for The Frame?

▲“View from Mount Holyoke, Northampton, Massachusetts, after a Thunderstorm–The Oxbow” (1836) by Thomas Cole

First is Thomas Cole’s “View from Mount Holyoke, Northampton, Massachusetts, after a Thunderstorm–The Oxbow” (1836). This impressive Hudson River School landscape painting juxtaposes untamed wilderness and pastoral settlement to spotlight the beauty of American scenery — with a vast array of possible interpretations to the artist’s message. Hidden in the foreground, Cole includes himself at his easel capturing the breathtaking scene. The fine details and enigmatic nature of the work make for captivating viewing at home.

▲ “Circus Sideshow (Parade de Cirque)” (1887-88) by Georges Seurat

Next is Georges Seurat’s “Circus Sideshow (Parade de Cirque)” (1887-88). This groundbreaking painting is the artist’s first nighttime scene and the first to depict popular entertainment. At the time this piece was made, the parade, or sideshow, was a free attraction designed to lure passersby to purchase tickets to the main circus event. The excellent details of this Pointillist composition are especially easy to appreciate on the Frame.

▲ “Still Life with Apples and a Pot of Primroses” (ca. 1890) by Paul Cézanne

Finally, I’d recommend Paul Cézanne’s “Still Life with Apples and a Pot of Primroses” (ca. 1890). This elegant still life was once owned by Claude Monet — an enthusiastic gardener — and was gifted to him by the painter Paul Helleu who famously created the astrological ceiling design at Grand Central Station. With its bold colors and graphic lines, this beautiful work demonstrates Cézanne’s mastery of the still life and is sure to enhance any room.

Q: In your opinion, how has The Met leveraged The Frame and Samsung Art Store to further support its aspirations to bring audiences across different countries and cultures together and draw unexpected connections?

This digital activation has offered a powerful extension of the museum experience at home. Just like visiting galleries, different works resonate with different people at different moments in their lives. It is exciting to see users continually select and change the artwork on display in their homes to suit their mood, design aesthetic or even season. Visiting museums should be about discovery and curiosity with an element of the unexpected. The Met’s feature on Samsung Art Store is a successful example of translating a physical experience into a digital one.

Technology’s Impact on Art and Accessibility
      Q: How do you perceive the impact of art on individuals and its influence on collective culture? How does The Met contribute to that impact?

The Met is a space for everyone to be inspired, learn and discover unexpected connections across time and place. Our collection highlights more than 1.5 million examples of human creative achievement from around the world — allowing visitors to the museum and our website to immerse themselves in art. Experiencing The Met and its pieces offers an opportunity to reflect, ask questions and explore untapped creativity and ideas.

“There is an interesting parallel in the revolutionary spirit of [the Impressionist movement] that put a new emphasis on everyday life and the foundation of The Met which sought to democratize art.”

Q: In your opinion, why is it essential to democratize access to art by making it available to a wider audience through platforms like Samsung Art Store?

We believe that art is for all, but many individuals who come to The Met may only visit once in their lifetime. Expanding access through digital activations, products and experiences allows us to have a lasting relationship with art lovers around the world. We hope that sharing The Met’s collection on The Frame can help spark meaningful dialogue about culture and creativity in the past, present and future.

Q: What role do you see technology playing in enhancing the museum experience, especially in the context of digital art platforms like Samsung Art Store?

Engaging with art enthusiasts digitally allows us to spotlight pieces across The Met’s collection in new ways, enabling discovery and exploration. That might mean viewing works that are not on display in the galleries, learning the stories behind the art and artists or zooming in on details — but these are just the early possibilities of bringing physical works of art into the digital space. We are looking forward to evolving and experimenting with how we continue The Met’s mission to bring art into the everyday, and technology is an essential mode of making that happen.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Shinique Smith is a New York-based artist widely recognized for her monumental fabric sculptures and abstract paintings infused with calligraphy and collages. In her art, she uses recycled objects or memories to showcase the power of personal possessions — believing that humans collect meaningful keepsakes in search of their own paradise. Her work has become renowned in the past two decades for conveying inspiring messages of personal expression, energy, history and identity. Now, Smith’s globally acclaimed artwork comes to life with The Frame’s cutting-edge technology.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Smith to discuss her artistic journey and the inspiration behind some of her work.

▲ Shinique Smith poses in front of one of her works

From Early Creative Exposure to a Varied and Flourishing Career
      Q: Tell us a bit about yourself and your career as an artist. How did your early exposure to the art world influence your career?

I was born, raised and educated in Baltimore, Maryland. My mother made certain that creativity was integral to my upbringing. What began as arts and crafts in my early childhood inspired me to attend the Baltimore School for the Arts, where I completed my undergraduate and graduate studies in fine art and arts education.

In addition to my more than 12 years of arts education, my mother’s creative and intellectual endeavors — including fashion design, science, world religions and spiritual practices — were all influential and have become the conceptual core of my artistic practice.

Art has shaped my worldview since it is a lifelong study, pursuit and career.

Q: You work with many different media, ranging from sculpture to painting. What is your favorite to work with?

I consider sculpture and painting to be opposite sides of the same coin, and my favorite is when they influence each other. I create with many materials — paint, fabric, collage, photography and performance. I enjoy finding the connections and harmonies that resonate between them.

Q: Tell us a bit about your artistic process. How do you get from start to finish on a project?

Drawing is the foundation of my artistic process. I draw sketches of sculptures that I’ve already made or plan to make in the future. This keeps my mind and hands coordinated and fresh. Paintings begin with words translated into gestures on paper or canvas. From there, I build layers, edit and find connections of color and meaning in the elements that I add. The process is almost entirely intuitive.

Q: Do you recall a pivotal moment or experience in your career that still influences your work?

“Twilight’s Compendium,” a site-specific installation at the Denver Art Museum, is one of my most signficant works. I used my body to make prints on the wall and combined them with sculpture and collage to create my first large-scale installation. It was a catalog of blues and a collection of marks that I learned throughout the process — which I continue to use now.

An Intimate Museum in Samsung’s Art Store
      Q: Your work has been displayed at institutions ranging from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to the New Museum in New York. How does displaying your work on The Frame compare to displaying it inside museums or galleries?

Both platforms grant access to a wide audience. In museums, the viewer must take in the work in a more public, fast-paced environment. The Frame, on the other hand, is like having a piece of the museum in an intimate space, giving the viewer more time to explore details of the work.

Q: You have a collection of public works in cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and more. How do you feel public works like these compare to your work that is widely available to users of The Frame?

My public works are available for people to see while in transit. They are monumentally scaled, from 60 to 150 feet. Some are indoors and at ground level, and others are outside and so high in the air that viewers must be at a distance to see the whole piece. All my works — wherever they are found — reveal intricate details upon closer observation, similar to viewing art on The Frame.

Q: What pieces would you recommend users display on The Frame? Please give a brief explanation of each.

▲ “Angel” (2011)

“Angel” is a composite of three images I shot of one of my favorite hanging sculptures. With pink and rainbows, this piece is great to display on The Frame since not everyone has space for work like this in their home.

▲ “Dusk” (2012)

“Dusk” is a fabric wall sculpture and the only one that became a landscape made from clothing in my closet. I’m inspired by our quest for paradise and utopia through our keepsakes. For users, I hope it could be like viewing an imaginative rolling hill through a window.

▲ “Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” (2019)

“Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” is new to The Frame, and it is my favorite part of a mural-like mixed media painting. Through the cut mirrors, the viewer catches glimpses of themselves in the work — like my experience riding the bus to school as a teenager or seeing my window reflection against the cityscape.

Technology and Artistic Accessibility
      Q: Do you feel there are any advantages to displaying your work digitally, such as on The Frame?

I love seeing my work in different scales and mediums. The Frame is a beautiful platform that gives the viewer the advantage of both variety and intimacy.

Q: Throughout your career, how have you seen technology influence the art world? How do you see this changing in the future?

Anything that causes a shift in society is reflected in the art world — technology has evolved so drastically that it has changed modern society with home computers, wireless cable TV, the internet and social media.

Disposable cameras and camcorders gave people wider access to photography and videography. Now, everyone can film, document and share every increment of life through their smartphones.

Looking to the future, everyone is talking about AI and using it to think and create for people. As we continue this exploration, I hope we will continue to rely on our own abilities and creativity.

Q: Do you have any upcoming projects you’re able to tell us about?

“Metamorph” will open in April at the Monique Meloche Gallery during EXPO Chicago. The exhibition will showcase new paintings, sculptures and works on paper inspired by butterflies, transformation and resilient beauty.

This July, I will also present a new large-scale sculptural installation at the Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields.

My latest exhibition, “Parade,” recently opened at The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art. The synergy between my contemporary fabric works and the adorned, draped figures of European master paintings is striking. Available until January 2025, the gallery will feature various talks and performances starting this May through the fall.

Visit Samsung Art Store in The Frame to see more of Shinique Smith’s artwork.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Shinique Smith is a New York-based artist widely recognized for her monumental fabric sculptures and abstract paintings infused with calligraphy and collages. In her art, she uses recycled objects or memories to showcase the power of personal possessions — believing that humans collect meaningful keepsakes in search of their own paradise. Her work has become renowned in the past two decades for conveying inspiring messages of personal expression, energy, history and identity. Now, Smith’s globally acclaimed artwork comes to life with The Frame’s cutting-edge technology.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Smith to discuss her artistic journey and the inspiration behind some of her work.

▲ Shinique Smith poses in front of one of her works

From Early Creative Exposure to a Varied and Flourishing Career
      Q: Tell us a bit about yourself and your career as an artist. How did your early exposure to the art world influence your career?

I was born, raised and educated in Baltimore, Maryland. My mother made certain that creativity was integral to my upbringing. What began as arts and crafts in my early childhood inspired me to attend the Baltimore School for the Arts, where I completed my undergraduate and graduate studies in fine art and arts education.

In addition to my more than 12 years of arts education, my mother’s creative and intellectual endeavors — including fashion design, science, world religions and spiritual practices — were all influential and have become the conceptual core of my artistic practice.

Art has shaped my worldview since it is a lifelong study, pursuit and career.

Q: You work with many different media, ranging from sculpture to painting. What is your favorite to work with?

I consider sculpture and painting to be opposite sides of the same coin, and my favorite is when they influence each other. I create with many materials — paint, fabric, collage, photography and performance. I enjoy finding the connections and harmonies that resonate between them.

Q: Tell us a bit about your artistic process. How do you get from start to finish on a project?

Drawing is the foundation of my artistic process. I draw sketches of sculptures that I’ve already made or plan to make in the future. This keeps my mind and hands coordinated and fresh. Paintings begin with words translated into gestures on paper or canvas. From there, I build layers, edit and find connections of color and meaning in the elements that I add. The process is almost entirely intuitive.

Q: Do you recall a pivotal moment or experience in your career that still influences your work?

“Twilight’s Compendium,” a site-specific installation at the Denver Art Museum, is one of my most signficant works. I used my body to make prints on the wall and combined them with sculpture and collage to create my first large-scale installation. It was a catalog of blues and a collection of marks that I learned throughout the process — which I continue to use now.

An Intimate Museum in Samsung’s Art Store
      Q: Your work has been displayed at institutions ranging from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to the New Museum in New York. How does displaying your work on The Frame compare to displaying it inside museums or galleries?

Both platforms grant access to a wide audience. In museums, the viewer must take in the work in a more public, fast-paced environment. The Frame, on the other hand, is like having a piece of the museum in an intimate space, giving the viewer more time to explore details of the work.

Q: You have a collection of public works in cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and more. How do you feel public works like these compare to your work that is widely available to users of The Frame?

My public works are available for people to see while in transit. They are monumentally scaled, from 60 to 150 feet. Some are indoors and at ground level, and others are outside and so high in the air that viewers must be at a distance to see the whole piece. All my works — wherever they are found — reveal intricate details upon closer observation, similar to viewing art on The Frame.

Q: What pieces would you recommend users display on The Frame? Please give a brief explanation of each.

▲ “Angel” (2011)

“Angel” is a composite of three images I shot of one of my favorite hanging sculptures. With pink and rainbows, this piece is great to display on The Frame since not everyone has space for work like this in their home.

▲ “Dusk” (2012)

“Dusk” is a fabric wall sculpture and the only one that became a landscape made from clothing in my closet. I’m inspired by our quest for paradise and utopia through our keepsakes. For users, I hope it could be like viewing an imaginative rolling hill through a window.

▲ “Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” (2019)

“Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” is new to The Frame, and it is my favorite part of a mural-like mixed media painting. Through the cut mirrors, the viewer catches glimpses of themselves in the work — like my experience riding the bus to school as a teenager or seeing my window reflection against the cityscape.

Technology and Artistic Accessibility
      Q: Do you feel there are any advantages to displaying your work digitally, such as on The Frame?

I love seeing my work in different scales and mediums. The Frame is a beautiful platform that gives the viewer the advantage of both variety and intimacy.

Q: Throughout your career, how have you seen technology influence the art world? How do you see this changing in the future?

Anything that causes a shift in society is reflected in the art world — technology has evolved so drastically that it has changed modern society with home computers, wireless cable TV, the internet and social media.

Disposable cameras and camcorders gave people wider access to photography and videography. Now, everyone can film, document and share every increment of life through their smartphones.

Looking to the future, everyone is talking about AI and using it to think and create for people. As we continue this exploration, I hope we will continue to rely on our own abilities and creativity.

Q: Do you have any upcoming projects you’re able to tell us about?

“Metamorph” will open in April at the Monique Meloche Gallery during EXPO Chicago. The exhibition will showcase new paintings, sculptures and works on paper inspired by butterflies, transformation and resilient beauty.

This July, I will also present a new large-scale sculptural installation at the Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields.

My latest exhibition, “Parade,” recently opened at The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art. The synergy between my contemporary fabric works and the adorned, draped figures of European master paintings is striking. Available until January 2025, the gallery will feature various talks and performances starting this May through the fall.

Visit Samsung Art Store in The Frame to see more of Shinique Smith’s artwork.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics and Marimekko,1 an esteemed Finnish design house, have partnered to launch limited edition artwork for The Frame, Samsung’s lifestyle TV. Starting February 1, Marimekko will introduce 40 designs to Samsung Art Store as artwork for The Frame.

“Marimekko has always appreciated the beauty and joy of everyday life,” said Sanna-Kaisa Niikko, Chief Marketing Officer at Marimekko. “We are excited to bring our bold patterns as everyday art to new audiences. In this collaboration with Samsung, we are particularly happy to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Unikko.”

▲ Unikko, which celebrates its 60th anniversary this year, is among the 40 timeless Marimekko prints that will be available on Samsung Art Store

Samsung Art Store and Marimekko: Where Art Meets Innovation
      Samsung’s commitment to innovation takes a stylish turn with this limited edition collaboration that brings a carefully curated library of 30 timeless Marimekko prints to The Frame. To reflect the changing seasons, users will be able to transform their TVs with three rotating collections of 12 prints.

The partnership will offer a generous portfolio of art created by the following artists:

Maija Isola, the designer behind the renowned Unikko flower pattern and over 500 others for Marimekko Fujiwo Ishimoto, an award-winning Japanese designer who has worked with the brand since the 1970s Katsuji Wakisaka, a Japanese textile designer known for his organic shapes and bold colors Vuokko Eskolin-Nurmesniemi, a Finnish textile designer celebrated for her functional and timeless designs Maija Louekari, a designer who combines narrative line drawings with striking, colored surfaces  
      “Samsung is proud to announce the first addition of a Finnish design house to Samsung Art Store,” said Sofia Monteiro, Product Manager for Samsung Art Store Europe. “Our vision with this partnership is to deliver timeless designs directly to users, allowing them to personalize their homes with a touch of Finnish creativity. We hope to continue bringing value to our appreciated users through this selection of iconic designs and tasteful prints.”

The Marimekko designs will be available on Samsung Art Store — an exclusive subscription service for The Frame, where users can browse and choose from more than 2,300 pieces from notable artists, museums, galleries and design companies.

1 Marimekko is a Finnish lifestyle design company renowned for its original prints and colors. The company’s product portfolio includes high-quality clothing, bag and accessories as well as home décor items ranging from textiles to tableware. When Marimekko was founded in 1951, its unparalleled printed fabrics gave it a strong and unique identity. In 2022, the company’s net sales were EUR 167 million and comparable operating profit totaled EUR 30.4 million. Globally, there are roughly 150 Marimekko stores, and online store servers customers in 35 countries. The key markets are Northern Europe, the Asia-Pacific region and North America. The Group employs about 460 people. The company’s share is quotes on Nasdaq Helsinki Ltd. www.marimekko.com
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics today announced that its 2024 edition of The Frame has earned Pantone Validated ArtfulColor certification from Pantone,1 a globally renowned authority in color standards. This certification highlights The Frame’s advanced adaptive color technology, which ensures an exceptional color reproduction capability that meets Pantone’s rigorous standards for authentic color that is nearly indistinguishable to the human eye under standard lighting conditions.

“Consumers are expecting more out of The Frame,” said Yongjae Kim, Executive Vice President of the Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “Our aim is to always provide the best possible customer experience, and in the case of The Frame, this is accomplished by giving users a display that portrays art in a way that is true-to-life. We’ve achieved this with the Pantone Validated ArtfulColor certification and will continue to work towards optimizing the viewing experience further.”

Pantone Validated ArtfulColor evaluates if displays can faithfully simulate a range of physical Pantone Color cards and Pantone SkinTone color cards under CIE2 standard illuminant D65, which portrays illumination that is more-or-less equivalent to that of the average midday light in Western or Northern Europe. The Frame is the world’s first display in the industry to meet this stringent validation, reaffirming Samsung’s leadership in color fidelity that was first recognized by previous Pantone Validated status across all QLED TVs in 2022.3

“After evaluating Samsung The Frame in standardized ambient lighting, we were very pleased with the high quality of the on-screen Pantone color reproduction,” said Iain Pike, Senior Global Director of Product and Licensing at Pantone. “These results are duly reflected in the award of the world’s first television to earn the Pantone Validated ArtfulColor designation. Visually, we can also confirm the lifelike quality of the displayed colors and skin tones compared to the physical swatch cards, as observed by our technical team during the evaluation process. This is a truly unique, value-added capability of Samsung The Frame we tested.”

The Frame’s Art Mode is specifically designed to exhibit artwork and photographs with true-to-life colors under standard lighting conditions such as at homes or galleries. It offers viewers an immersive and authentic art viewing experience by intelligently adjusting brightness and hues to optimize the image for ambient lighting conditions.

Leveraging Samsung’s cutting-edge QLED display technology, The Frame has previously received Pantone Validated and SkinTone Validated approvals for its precise emissive rendering of the full gamut of Pantone SkinTone colors and the vast spectrum of all 2,390 colors contained within the Pantone Matching System (PMS). The Frame also comes with a Matte Display — which significantly reduces glare and reflections — bringing the extensive collection of approximately 2,300 artworks from the Samsung Art Store to life.

For more information on The Frame, visit http://samsung.com.

1 Pantone company provides a universal language of color, called Pantone Matching System(PMS), that enables color-critical decisions through every stage of the workflow for brands and manufacturers.
      2 Commission Internationale de l’Éclairage or International Commission on Illumination, in English.
      3 https://news.samsung.com/global/2022-samsung-qled-and-lifestyle-tvs-recognized-by-top-global-certification-institutes-for-eye-comfort-safety-and-color-accuracy
      View the full article