Quantcast

[Interview] Photographer Palani Mohan’s ‘Small Miracles’ Captured on Film, on The Frame

Photography gives us the ability to capture brief, fleeting moments in time and make them permanent. Whereas the subject of a painting might have to sit for hours or even days, the subject of a photograph may not even know the picture is being taken.

Palani Mohan is an award-winning photographer who holds the view that if you slow down and look around you, you will find “small, beautiful miracles that take place all the time.”

Samsung Newsroom spoke with Mohan about his experience as a photographer and his collaboration with Samsung on The Frame.

Life Through a Camera Lens

Palani_Mohan_main1.jpg

▲ Photographer Palani Mohan, Katie Barget for TEDxSydney | CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Mohan photographs a variety of subjects, from his famous pictures of eagles on the outskirts of Mongolia, to the various shades of Hong Kong, and just about everything else in between.

Many of Mohan’s projects have led him to travel around the world, visit new places and meet new people. Before the pandemic, Mohan spent as much as six months out of the year on the road for work. Now, however, he spends a lot more time staying in one place.

Palani_Mohan_main2.jpg

▲ Man and Eagle over tall grass (2013)

Mohan says he hopes that, when people look at one of his photographs, they get the same feelings of awe as if they were standing right beside him when he took it.

“Most, if not all, of the time when I’m taking my photographs, I am alone, especially when I’m doing landscape work,” he comments. “So when people look at my images on the screen, or in a magazine or print, I would like them to feel like they’re standing where I stood and seeing what I saw when I made that image. If they can do that, I’ll be very happy because my job will be done.”

On The Frame, viewers can experience Mohan’s stunning work in premium, QLED picture quality that brings photos to life. When viewing his work on The Frame, Mohan says, “I hope [viewers] see what I see. I hope they look at my work and see what a magical place this world is.”

Palani_Mohan_main3.jpg

▲ Hong Kong through the clouds (2016)

Technology Shines a Light on Detail

An interesting aspect of Mohan’s work is that a large portion of it is black and white. Whereas other photographers may focus on the colors in a scene, Mohan often removes the color to let viewers focus on other aspects of the subject.

Palani_Mohan_main4.jpg

▲ Water Dragon (2019)

Art and technology have already been intersecting for some time, with technology being used as a medium for both creating and viewing artworks. And innovations such as The Frame are bringing the two even closer together, making pieces more accessible and opening a world of new possibilities for producing and showcasing art. And this is especially true for artists like Mohan who value attention to detail very highly.

Palani_Mohan_main5.jpg

▲ Golden Eagle (2013)

“The Frame gives viewers the chance to look at a piece of art as the artist wants them to view it,” Mohan says. “It feels so real, viewing images on The Frame. It changes the interaction you have with the artworks you look at. You see all the details and tones – you can walk up and see the work as the artist really intended.”

It is the quantum dot technology in The Frame that gives it its spectacularly vivid display, and that delivers the finer detail that illuminates texture and contrast. “Attention to the minute details is very important to me. I place huge importance on the quality of my work, the tones reflected and how the visual image is presented. This is a huge part of what I do,” Mohan relates. “I go to extraordinary lengths as far as the quality of the final image, and I believe Samsung and The Frame do exactly that too. The screen resolution on The Frame is out of this world – simply unbelievable. And I think it’s a wonderful marriage when you have an artist who also puts quality above everything else. When the two meet, the result is magic.”

Palani Mohan’s work is available in the Art Store on The Frame now, and 14 new pieces will be available from late November.

Palani_Mohan_main6.jpg

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By BGR
      Samsung will unveil the Galaxy S23 series on February 1st during its first press conference with an audience in three years. But Samsung fans who follow leaks already know almost everything about the design, specs, and features of the Galaxy S23 lineup. And it looks like Samsung is ready to reveal more details about the phones’ capabilities. The company just unveiled its newest Isocell HP2 chip, a 200-megapixel camera sensor targeting flagship smartphones like the Galaxy S23 Ultra.
      Samsung doesn’t explicitly mention the Galaxy S23 Ultra in the press release, saying only that the new Isocell sensor is made for flagship smartphones. But Samsung talks up the chip’s improvements that concern low-light photography. And that’s the kind of upgrade that phones like the Galaxy S23 Ultra could benefit from.
      Samsung on Tuesday unveiled the Isocell HP2 chip for flagship smartphones. The company says the 200-megapixel sensor delivers “improved pixel technology and full-well capacity for stunning mobile images in tomorrow’s premium smartphones.”
      Samsung explains that the Isocell HP2 features 200 million 0.6μm pixels in a 1/1.3″ optical format. That’s the typical sensor size for 108-megapixel smartphone cameras. That means the Isocell HP2’s design means the phone won’t require a larger camera bump.
      The Isocell HP2 also comes with pixel-binning tech that Samsung calls Tetra2pixel. In low-light conditions, the sensor turns into a 1.2μm 50-megapixel or 2.4μm 12.5-megapixel camera. It does so by combining either 4 or 16 pixels into a single larger pixel.
      The sensor can also record 8K video at 33-megapixel using the 1.2μm 50-megapixel mode.
      Samsung doesn’t have to mention the Galaxy S23 Ultra at all in the Isocell HP2 announcement because these upgrades indicate the camera is heading to that type of phone.
      Galaxy S23 leak reveals official marketing images from Samsung. Image source: WinFuture Samsung has further detailed the Isocell HP2’s low-light performance, explaining the new Dual Vertical Transfer Gate (D-VTG) technology:
      Furthermore, the new chip uses Super QPD focus for low-light photography. That means the sensor uses 200 million pixels to focus:
      Finally, Samsung says the new chip will improve HDR performance in photos and videos.
      The Isocell HP2 sensor has entered mass production right on time for Samsung’s Galaxy S23 Ultra launch. Speculation aside, Samsung hasn’t mentioned any Android flagship that might feature the new 200-megapixel sensor this year.
      The post Galaxy S23 Ultra may have new Isocell HP2 sensor for better low-light photography appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics today announced a new partnership with YellowKorner, a world-renowned art photography collective, to provide consumers with an extensive collection of photographs from world-class and emerging artists on The Frame, its lifestyle TV, and making art photography more accessible through the Art Store.

Founded in 2006, YellowKorner is a leading art photography maison headquartered in France, operating a network of more than 130 galleries worldwide across 25 countries globally. It offers more than 3,000 limited-edition and certified prints in collaboration with some of the world’s leading artists of this generation.

Through the partnership, The Frame will offer an extensive collection of photographs curated by YellowKorner, allowing viewers to discover and experience the magic of photography in a way that has never been possible before. The Frame will also be displayed in some YellowKorner’s art galleries in France, where customers will be able to discover The Frame and get the possibility, through a QR code, to have information about The Frame.

Additionally, Samsung and YellowKorner will partner with renowned and emerging artists to hold exhibitions in Paris with the goal of democratizing art photography. Both websites, Samsung and YellowKorner will indicate details, where visitors will be able to deep dive into the partnership, the iconic Lifestyle TV and its leading art platform, the Art Store, where some YellowKorner artists present.

The Art Store currently has over 1,500 works of art from more than 600 artists in 42 different countries that consumers can enjoy in 4K picture quality from museums and galleries around the world, including the Albertina Museum in Vienna, the Hermitage State Museum in Saint Petersburg, the Prado Museum in Madrid, the Tate Modern in London, the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and LUMAS.

“The partnership with YellowKorner signifies the increasing presence of The Frame’s Art Store as one of the leading art platforms around the world,” said Jongsuk Chu, Executive Vice President and Head of Europe Office at Samsung Electronics. “We hope that this partnership will continue to provide our consumers an easy and accessible point of entry to experience their favorite artwork.”

The Frame is Samsung’s award-winning lifestyle TV, which transforms the everyday living space into an art gallery with stunning works of art from the Art Store. The 2021 version builds on The Frame’s iconic design, offering an even slimmer bezel of 24.9mm, mirroring the depth of a traditional picture frame and allowing the viewers to focus on the artwork itself.

The Frame portfolio is available in seven screen sizes, ranging from 32” to large 85” models. Taking advantage of industry-leading QLED 4K picture quality, The Frame also uses a Brightness Sensor to detect the surrounding light conditions and automatically adjusts the screen’s brightness and color tone to provide astonishingly vibrant pictures while displaying the artwork as it was intended to be seen.

For more information on Samsung’s lifestyle TV portfolio, please visit www.samsung.com.
      View the full article