Quantcast

[Samsung Smart Screen Experiences] ② Manage Your Home Like Never Before on 2022 Samsung Screen With an Intuitive Home IoT Hub

Smart-Screen-series2_main1.jpg

In this second article, we’re exploring how SmartThings has been enhanced to become a built-in feature of your Samsung Smart TV and Smart Monitor,1 so read on to learn more about how the 2022 lineup lets you take total control of your devices and your smart home — right from your sofa.

Smart-Screen-series2_main2FF.gif

SmartThings, Opening Up an Era of the Smart Home Previously Only Dreamed of

As the devices we use at home have become more diverse, so, too, have the methods necessary to connect them. From Cloud to Cloud (C2C) connectivity, wireless (WiFi) connections and the Zigbee method, a variety of different systems available for us to control our homes with have emerged — a diversity that resulted in it taking a while for Internet-of-Things (IoT) to be cohesively applied within the home.

Previously, you would need a separate device, or hub, to act as a connecting bridge for these devices, ultimately impacting accessibility. Therefore, in order to help mitigate this inconvenience, Samsung, for the very first time in 2022, has integrated a built-in SmartThings Hub directly into the 2022 screen lineup, providing reduced latency and total control for more immediate smart home control experiences.

Smart-Screen-series2_main3.jpg

The Samsung Home IoT Hub — your SmartThings hub — is now built directly into your TV or Smart monitor, making it possible to easily connect, monitor and control all the connected devices in your house, all without a separate hub device.2 This advancement is the first step towards Samsung’s fully-realized home IoT ecosystem.3

Smart-Screen-series2_main4FF.gif

This innovative SmartThings Hub is not only compatible with hundreds of millions of devices, but has also been further expanded thanks to the introduction of an all-new interoperability standard. As the premier technology enabling connected living and driving the future of IoT, SmartThings recently announced the addition of a new smart home interoperability standard named Matter,4 which has been developed by Apple, Google, Amazon and others and allows for users to control Matter-enabled devices using their Samsung products.

With these innovative advancements in your SmartThings home control system, you are set to enjoy the utmost convenience with your 2022 screen — like never before.

Anywhere, Anytime and as You Wish With the 2022 SmartThings Hub

Thanks to the fully-integrated SmartThings Hub, your 2022 screen is a central hub from which you can conveniently control the smart devices you have around your home.

To make the smart home experience more enhanced than ever before, Samsung made sure to develop SmartThings Hub to be the most streamlined platform it could be for ultimate user convenience. Along with the greater screen real estate available on your 2022 screen for monitoring, making the process easier on the eyes, SmartThings Hub features an intuitive Map View interface that not only shows all your devices and their current status, but also where they are located in your home.

1. Map View: Locate IoT Devices in Your Home at a Glance

Smart-Screen-series2_main5.jpg

When you launch your TV or smart monitor for the first time, ‘rooms’ can be created automatically for you based on the location of your connected devices through SmartThings, and this will be displayed on-screen for you in Map View. If you want to further customize the layout of your devices, you can use your remote control to change the location of the device within the interface to match your actual room layout, and if you have the SmartThings mobile app, you can easily add rooms or change its location using Touch & Drag. You can even change room shapes to be polygons, if desired.

Smart-Screen-series2_main6F.gif

Say you’re settling down to relax in the living room with a good film after a long day, but suddenly realize you’re not sure if the lights are on or off in the garage, simply pull up SmartThings Hub’s Map View on your smart TV or monitor. Now, you can check and manage the status of your smart devices and then click back into your film for a truly hassle-free end to your night.

2. Voice Control: Manage All Your Devices With a Single Word

As well as streamlining the smart home management experiences that SmartThings brings to users, you can also enjoy smart experiences that may have previously seemed impossible with SmartThings on your 2022 Samsung screen.

For example, the always-on Voice Control capability provides you with next-level connectivity and control over your devices, no matter what you are doing and whether your screen is on or off. Thanks to Bixby, Samsung’s AI voice assistant, you can verbally switch your lights on or off or control a connected device, even while in the middle of a movie, just by saying ‘Hi Bixby’ to your screen.

Smart-Screen-series2_main7F.gif

3. Smart Doorbell: Check Out the Front Doorstep While Watching TV

Furthermore, the Smart Doorbell feature lets your smart home control radius expand as far as your front doorstep. Even if content is playing on your 2022 Samsung screen, a notification will appear on-screen when someone rings your doorbell, allowing you to see right through to who is waiting at the front door and even talk to them directly from your screen.5

Smart-Screen-series2_main8F.gif

With such convenience-first capabilities, the future of the truly connected smart home, something that Samsung has been working diligently towards, is getting closer and closer each day.

The Hub of Smart Home Life: Your 2022 Smart Screen

Although smart homes have been around for quite some time, the process of building a smart home ecosystem that allows all kinds of IoT devices to interoperate is still underway. Samsung intends to develop a smart home that is optimized for your in-home activities and that lets anyone easily build their own connected home, making it easy to harness the power of IoT for device control anywhere in the house — using just your screen.

The first step of this next-generation smart home ecosystem has been taken with the 2022 Samsung screen lineup. With your Neo QLED 8K or Smart Monitor M8, you can now enjoy easy and convenient control of all your smart home devices directly on-screen thanks to the all-new SmartThings Hub. Take a look at the video below to learn more.

Be sure to stay tuned for the final article in this series where we will be diving into even more smart features offered by the 2022 screen lineup, including those capabilities that let you manage your aesthetic and even your workouts more intelligently — directly from your screen.

1 Models that support the SmartThings Hub include: QN900B/QN800B/QN700B/QN95B/S95B/QN90B/QN85B/Q80B/Q70B/Q60B/BU8/The Serif/The Frame/The Sero/Smart Monitor(M50B and above), released in 2022.

2 Make sure to log in to the same Samsung account on your TV or monitor and your mobile SmartThings app.

3 To use products with Zigbee protocol, you must purchase a SmartThings Dongle (VG-STDB10A) separately.

4 Samsung also joined over 200 global companies in support of MATTER, a new standard for simplifying smart homes.

5 Ring Doorbell is currently the only solution supporting the 2-way talk function. It is set to be available on more solutions soon.

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Samsung Newsroom
      Steve McCurry from the international photography collective Magnum Photos, the photographer behind the iconic “Afghan Girl” portrait, has played a significant role in contemporary photography for more than four decades. Through his lens, McCurry has documented world conflicts, vanishing cultures, ancient traditions and modern society in an expressive, personal way. From the bustling streets of India to active warzones in Afghanistan, McCurry’s photographs have always been more than mere images — they are windows into the human experience.

Magnum Photos

Magnum Photos is a cooperative of world-famous press photographers. Located in New York, London, Paris and Tokyo, the collective provides photographs to media, publishers, advertisers, television, galleries and museums worldwide. Magnum’s photography library is a living archive of new works, updated daily from all over the world.

His photography, which has traversed continents and cultures, is now available for The Frame, Samsung’s lifestyle TV. Through Samsung Art Store, his visual narratives find a place in homes around the world.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with McCurry to talk about his inspiration and how technology can immortalize the stories told through his photography.

▲ Steve McCurry

Finding Universality Through a Camera Lens
      Q: Do you have any significant moments or experiences that have influenced how you approach your work as a photographer?

I have always had a desire to travel and push boundaries. After graduating from Pennsylvania State University and working at a newspaper for two years, I bought a one-way ticket to India with the money I had saved. I spent two years traveling throughout India and Nepal, photographing for a variety of magazines.

In the spring of 1979, I stayed at a small hotel in Chitral, Pakistan — where I met some Afghan refugees from Nuristan who explained that many of the villages in their area had been destroyed. I told them I was a photographer, and they insisted that I come and capture the civil war. I had never photographed an area of conflict before and wasn’t sure how to react.

After a few days, I walked with them over the mountains into Afghanistan and spent nearly three weeks photographing life there. I was astonished to see so many villages that had been virtually destroyed and abandoned. The roads were all blocked or under government control, so we had to walk everywhere. During this time, I met some people who I became close to.

I was touched by the culture and beauty of the country. It was a different way of life with no modern conveniences, and I was drawn to the simplicity of that lifestyle. Everything was reduced to the basics — and that has made me return to Afghanistan time and time again.

Q: You are well known for capturing raw emotions and intimate moments. How do you establish trust with your subjects, especially in culturally diverse settings?

In my experience, most people are approachable. I find that once you explain what you are doing and how you can bring them into your process, people will open up and let you take their pictures.

My photographs are how I observe the world and my surroundings. For me, the goal is to find some sort of universality among people across a huge variety of conditions. If I am successful, my artwork should be universally understood by anyone who has experienced the human condition, regardless of their circumstances.

Q: Among your photographs, do you have a favorite?

I took one of my favorite pictures when I was in an old part of Rajasthan, India. The whole city is painted in a wonderful blue color. I came across a corner and discovered children had left handprints on the wall during a festival. I thought, “What a great picture it would be if I could get people walking in or out of the frame.” After standing for about two hours, one little boy dashed through, and I caught him mid-stride. I was — and still am — happy with the picture.

▲ “Boy Playing,” Jodhpur, India (2007)

From Lens to Living Room
      Q: How have users reacted to your work on The Frame this year?

The response has been excellent. Users are excited to have such a wide range of artwork available on The Frame to keep their home interiors fresh.

The Frame allows users to discover and appreciate new artists and artwork. It is amusing to see my work alongside classic masterpieces by Van Gogh and da Vinci, as well as many other up-and-coming artists.

Q: Does displaying your art on The Frame differ from displaying your art in museums and galleries?

The Frame allows users to transform their television into a dynamic art display. They can exhibit images in their home that they may not be able to see in person at museums. Although nothing beats seeing artwork in person, The Frame is a great way to experience art from the comfort of your own home.

Q: What pieces would you recommend users display on The Frame? Please give us a brief explanation of each.

For centuries in Tibet, prayer flags embellished with sacred writings have been hung with the belief that goodwill and compassion will be spread to all living beings as the wind passes over them.

▲ “Prayer Flags,” Tibet (2005)

I spent two weeks with flower vendors as they plied their wares along the shores of Dal Lake in Kashmir, India. The act of buying and gifting flowers is deeply embedded in the region’s traditions and integral to the aesthetic and economy. Their shikaris,1 filled with blooms, offered a deep sense of tranquility and provided a welcome contrast to the hustle and bustle of the surrounding town.

▲ “Dal Lake,” Srinagar, Kashmir (1999)

▲ “Boat in India,” Srinagar, Kashmir (1999)

Photography in the Digital Age
      Q: Could you describe if and how technology has changed how you work over the years?

I worked exclusively with film for most of my career, but I have fully embraced digital technology these days. While it hasn’t changed the way I see my work or the way I photograph, technology has undoubtedly altered the process — allowing me to work in much lower light and more complex situations than I could in the past. Nonetheless, the same truths apply to any image regardless of the technique that went into crafting it. There’s impermanence about all things and nostalgia about things in the past — but I prefer to look to the future.

Q: How does the digital format of The Frame compare to other platforms where you have shared your work, such as galleries, museums or even magazine covers?

Each medium has its advantages. Digital art is virtually permanent, and exposure to heat and light doesn’t affect color — but the medium can be a matter of personal preference. Many museums are supplementing their exhibitions with multi-media presentations, merging different formats. It will be interesting to see what the future holds since technology is evolving every day.

The Frame is a wonderful way to see pictures in a more intimate home setting. I remember getting off a plane and seeing one of my pictures on a huge screen at JFK Airport in New York. It was surreal to see my work enjoyed by thousands of people passing through the terminal. Similarly, The Frame allows people to view art more comfortably — adding a new dimension to the experience.

Q: In this digital age where most people use their phones as cameras, how do you see the role of professional photographers evolving?

The medium, platform or technology — whether it’s Instagram, digital or film — is not important. Successful photography has to be about telling stories and being creative, having your own interpretation and voice to say what is important to you and conveying those emotions through your photographs.

Q: What is next for you in the coming year?

I will soon be traveling to Antarctica and working on a new book of short stories.

Visit the Samsung Art Store in The Frame to see more of Steve McCurry’s work.

1 (In Kashmir) A light, flat-bottomed houseboat.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      The Samsung Art Store continues to captivate the hearts of art enthusiasts worldwide — transforming living spaces into galleries with an extensive collection of artwork and photographs. Recently, New York-based artist Saya Woolfalk has garnered significant attention for her captivating and otherworldly creations.

Her unique artwork has resonated deeply with audiences, quickly making her one of the most beloved artists on the platform since March 2023. Samsung Newsroom sat down with Saya to explore her fascinating artistic universe and discuss how partnering with the Samsung Art Store has broadened access to her art.

Saya Woolfalk is a New York-based artist who masterfully blends science fiction and fantasy to reshape our understanding of reality. Her art takes the form of vibrant sculptures, installations and digital works — celebrating the fusion of different races and cultures.  
      ▲ Saya Woolfalk

Origins of Imagination: Saya Woolfalk’s Artistic Journey and Background
      Q: Please give a brief introduction about yourself as an artist. How has your background inspired your art?

I’ve been working as a professional artist for around 20 years, but my journey as an artist began during my childhood. Growing up in New York and spending summers with my grandmother in Gifu, Japan, exposed me to a rich multicultural environment that influenced me significantly. When I began to make art in college, I pulled from this experience and found inspiration for my work. My family in Japan owned a textile company, and my grandmother taught me how to sew. As a result, most of my early work was in textiles. Looking back on those formative years, I now see most of my work as a form of quilt or textile collage — inspired by the time I spent creating with my maternal grandmother.

Within the realm of my artistic endeavors, I focus on creating worlds where diverse cultural elements collide, clash and mingle. We live in a multicultural world where people from various backgrounds cohabitate on a single planet. I strive to produce art that explores this complicated experience.

Like most artists working in speculative fiction, my work is more centered on hybridity in the present than the future.

Q: What is your approach to the creative process? How do you challenge yourself to venture into new and unfamiliar territories with your creations?

I start with drawing and painting when beginning a new piece. Then, I move on to digital rendering. My artistic process is fluid, as I’m constantly flowing between the analog and digital worlds. Amidst this dynamic interplay, my digital renderings are essentially speculative spaces where I imagine something and then build it.

With every new project, I love to explore unfamiliar territories. Having the ability and autonomy to experiment and try new things is one of the best and most fulfilling aspects of being an artist. Recently, I have been projecting video on glass — which has been quite different from other mediums I’ve used in the past.

▲ “Starship 1,” 2022

Bringing Art Home With Samsung Art Store
      Q: You have been partnering with the Samsung Art Store since March 2023 in honor of Women’s History Month. What was that experience like?

Being featured in the Samsung Art Store for Women’s History Month was exhilarating, fulfilling and incredibly rewarding. I received many congratulatory messages from friends, adding to the joy of the moment.

Thanks to The Frame and Art Store, I am able to provide unparalleled accessibility to my art. This innovative technology benefits art enthusiasts and artists alike by opening a window to a world of art that may have been difficult to reach through traditional museums or art galleries. I am deeply appreciative of the opportunity to broaden my audience globally and reach more consumers in their homes.

▲ “Sassafrass,” 2021

Q: How did you select the works that are currently displayed in the Art Store? Can you recommend some of your favorite pieces to The Frame users?

Growing up in an increasingly digital world full of technological advancements, I have always embraced technology as an integral part of my artistic journey and an innovative way to express myself. When considering which pieces to display, I carefully choose those that would be most visually appealing on a digital screen. I worked with curator Daria Brit Greene and we selected artwork that would appeal to The Frame’s vibrant and life-like screen.

While it was challenging to pick my favorites, the first piece I recommend would undoubtedly be “Daydreams of Paper Animals.” This particular artwork is a digital collage I made for a large mural at a public school in the Queens neighborhood of New York City. We printed it on tile and added hand-built details that the students could touch! Making public art is very different from making work for museums — in a way, the primary audience is the people who will interact with the pieces every day. So, I tried to get into the mindset of the kids, think about what they care about and then amplify those ideas. Imagination, or the ability to problem-solve complicated situations through creativity, is incredibly important. This artwork encourages the children to tap into that imaginative potential and inspires them to daydream when they interact with the mural every day.

▲ “Daydreams of Paper Animals,” 2017

The second piece would be the “Encyclopedia of Cloud Divination,” a captivating digital collage that was made into limited-edition prints. These pieces were the beginning of a process I now use quite often in my work. I combined traditional print methods with digital print processes to create a unique composite of the two worlds. Animations and posters were made from this piece, making my artwork more accessible to the general public.

▲ “Encyclopedia of Cloud Divination (Plate 1),” 2018

▲ “Encyclopedia of Cloud Divination (Plate 2),” 2018

Looking to the Future
      Q: As an artist who blends elements of technology into art, how has your use of technology evolved throughout the course of your career? What do you think the future will look like?

Throughout my artistic journey, technology has been an indispensable tool — from software like Photoshop to AR and VR for immersive video installations. I don’t have a definitive answer as to what the future of art will look like because I believe it will depend on how each artist integrates technology within their pieces. However, I do like the idea that art can be made more accessible through technology, just like how Samsung is doing.

Q: Can you tell us about any upcoming projects?

I am excited to announce a solo survey showcasing 20 years of my artwork at the Museum of Art and Design in New York in 2025! Please stay tuned for this exclusive exhibition.

Saya Woolfalk’s artwork will be featured in the November collection, “FALL, ABSTRACTED” on the Samsung Art Store.

Visit the Samsung Art Store in The Frame to see more of Saya’s incredible masterpieces.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Aerosyn-Lex Mestrovic is an award-winning, multidisciplinary artist whose work has been recognized and displayed in prestigious institutions and venues such as The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), Art Basel Miami Beach and even the White House. His inspiration stems from a diverse cross-section of cultures — embracing a wide variety of mediums from fashion and film to live art performances and beyond.

His unique artistry exists at the junction where art and technology meet, and he considers the history and evolution of the two as inseparable. He sees technology as a transformative force — one that has expanded and will continue to broaden the art world — opening new opportunities and encouraging artists to reimagine and refine their work. Samsung Newsroom sat down with Aerosyn-Lex to discuss his journey as an artist and how technology has become interwoven into his work.

▲ Aerosyn-Lex Mestrovic

Early Encounters With Multicultural Inspirations
      Q: Can you provide a brief overview of your artistic journey?

I’ve been a life-long artist and creative. Art and design are core elements of my self-identity. I studied art from an early age and never stopped using creativity as my primary means of communication. I’m thankful that my artwork and designs have been recognized by some of the biggest institutions and brands in the world, and I’m excited for what’s to come!

Q: Your early influences present a fascinating blend of various cultures, including Japanese calligraphy, Latin script, graffiti and Slavic mysticism. How did you encounter and choose to incorporate these distinctive elements into your artwork?

Early on in life, I was exposed to calligraphy through a course I took during a summer vacation. For some reason, the act of writing and all its cultural variations stuck with me. Be it Japanese calligraphy or Western scripts, writing really became a huge influence on all my works. I think there is great power in the written word, and those words can take on any shape.

Q: How do you incorporate diverse cultural perspectives into your art? How does that resonate with audiences across the world?

Growing up as an immigrant in the United States in a culturally diverse area helped shape my identity. I’ve been fortunate to travel the world through my work, and I strive to translate those experiences through my artwork. My goal is to connect with people on a subconscious level, regardless of their background.

Q: What inspires you to keep pushing your artistic boundaries?

I’m thoroughly inspired by evolving technologies and their ability to reach larger scales and audiences globally. Having worked across various global markets and diverse industries, my goal is to share my work with the world, aiming to leave a lasting legacy.

Exploring the Entire Range of Artistic Mediums and Projects
       Q: Can you recount a project that pushed you beyond your comfort zone?

I was commissioned to direct my first short film “SCRIPTURA VITAE” many years ago for the BBC and Channel 4 in the U.K. This began as a simple concept, but it turned into one of the most life-changing projects I’ve ever worked on. I had to teach myself filmmaking whilst making the actual film! This single work really set the stage for many of my major projects that followed.

Q: Your extensive portfolio spans across pop culture, fashion, technology and more. What inspires your choice of medium for different projects?

My process varies greatly depending on the project. From designing fashion collections to crafting live art performances for Carnegie Hall, the medium follows the concept. There’s no single approach that works for all those varied applications of creativity.

I look at each project individually and try to figure out the best way to craft a memorable and emotionally moving work or performance. I always begin by thinking of a concept for a piece before attempting to work out the best way to represent that. 

Q: You’ve collaborated with cultural icons and brands such as Jeff Koons, Nike and Mr. Children, and your art has been exhibited at renowned venues around the world. How have these experiences shaped you?

Those are definitely some of my “greatest hits” and they certainly have instilled confidence and motivation to push the limits of my work. However, the art industry can be a fickle and fast-changing landscape to navigate. Nothing is guaranteed in the career of an artist — to sustain artistic relevance, one must constantly push forward to redefine oneself.

▲ An interview with Aerosyn-Lex Mestrovic

Connecting Artists and Audiences Through The Frame and Samsung Art Store
       Q: How has your experience been partnering with Samsung Art Store?

It has been truly amazing. I was thrilled to have so many acquaintances and new supporters reach out and mention that they’d seen my work on the Art Store. It’s such a wonderful platform, and I’m excited to continue crafting and creating work for it! 

I truly appreciate brands that understand the value of art and genuinely seek to support artists and their artwork. The art market has seen a seismic shift in the past few years, and I believe it takes large players to come up with innovative ideas for new platforms and ways of interacting with broad audiences. I think Samsung is doing just that in a unique way.

Q: Can you tell us about the technique behind your signature ethereal ink paintings? How do they appear on The Frame?

My work is created in a fully practical, non-digital technique that I developed over years of experimentation. These works began with my film “SCRIPTURA VITAE” and were then exhibited at The MoMA. I love how my work is presented on The Frame — having them live inside people’s homes now is a great feeling. The Frame’s aesthetic and calibration just make everything pop! 

Q: Can you recommend three of your favorite pieces available on the Art Store?

The beauty of the Art Store is that you can change the artwork based on your mood. Some of my favorites are below, but check them all out! There will be more coming soon, so please keep an eye out!

▲ CHROMIS IOMELAS MMXXI (2021)

CHROMIS IOMELAS MMXXI (2021) is from my “Living Paintings” series, which embodies the fluidity and movement in my process.

▲ VERSALIS DRIP MMXXII (2022)

VERSALIS DRIP MMXXII (2022) is a playful use of paint as a painting.  This work is taken from a newer series of work which was initially created as 60FT (20 meter) Murals for the Wynwood Arts District in Miami, Florida. The concept was to create a dynamic representation of fluid paint but play with the scale of the artwork which would be represented in the context of Trompe L’oeil.

▲ VERSAEL BRUSH MMXXI (2021)

VERSAEL BRUSH MMXXI (2021) introduces meticulous calligraphy which looks incredible in the crisp 4k of The Frame.  This piece speaks to my long standing passion from calligraphy and the written word. These large paintings are steeped in multicultural symbology and seek to find beauty in the pattern and rhythm of the calligraphic strokes and lettering used within the artwork.

Pushing the Boundaries of Art With Technology
       Q: Your work often blends art with various forms of technology. How do you see this intersection shaping the future of art?

The history of art cannot be separated from the progression of technology. Their stories are intertwined infinitely. As a huge tech nerd, technology is a space that I find endlessly fascinating and inspiring.

We’re certainly moving into a radically new age with the proliferation of artificial intelligence, and I’m excited to participate in pushing creative methods forward with technology. I am truly looking forward to working on projects in this space, and I’m thrilled to combine them with the practices I’ve developed over my career. 

Q: Can you give us a sneak peek at some of the projects you are working on?

I’m excited to be working on major projects across various metropolitan cities including Tokyo, New York City, Los Angeles, Riyadh, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. These projects range from large-scale installations for major hotels to huge digital art installations in completely new city centers.

I’m working on some new projects in the gaming space as well, which I’m thrilled about since I’m an avid gamer. I am also launching my own collection of luxury Japanese whisky, sake, shochu and wine this year with the award-winning Japanese distillery, Nishi Shuzo. Lastly, I’m looking to establish a large art studio in Los Angeles.

I have a lot going on at the moment, but I wouldn’t have it any other way! 

Visit Samsung Art Store in The Frame to see more of Aerosyn-Lex Mestrovic’s collection.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Hearing Accessibility Features – Ambient Sound feature more

Hearing Accessibility Features popup close

Cognition Accessibility Features – Remembering frequently used
      courses (AI control) more

Cognition Accessibility Features popup close

Vision Accessibility – Features Relumino Mode for TV more

Vision Accessibility popup close

Mobility Accessibility Features – SmartThings & Bixby more

Mobility Accessibility Features popup close

View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics has been leading the TV industry for more than a decade with the latest technologies available on consumer TVs and screens. In 2022, Samsung has yet again secured the number one spot in terms of market share for 16 consecutive years.1 At the heart of Samsung screens is customer-centric innovation, which powers Samsung screens, including Neo QLED 8K, to deliver immaculate, true-to-life picture quality. Samsung Newsroom sat down with the engineers to provide a deep dive into the innovative features that make Neo QLED 8K the TV it is today, with next-level picture quality and one-of-a-kind features powered by artificial intelligence(AI).

▲ (From left to right) Engineers Younghoon Jeong, Younghun Jo at Hardware Platform Lab, Sangmin Lee, David Jung at Picture Quality Solution Lab of Samsung’s Visual Display Business

Quantum Matrix Technology Pro Delivers Ultra-Fine Contrast With Details in Darkest Blacks and Lightest Whites
      Samsung has continued to pave the way forward in innovation for picture quality by applying cutting-edge technologies to its latest TVs. The newly released Neo QLED 8K is an upgraded version of its previous QLED TV and comes with a wide range of innovative features. At the center of this advancement is Quantum Matrix Technology Pro, which takes advantage of the enhanced 14-bit gradation for greater control of the miniaturized light source — the Quantum Mini LEDs. This allows the TV to control its lighting across an astounding 16,384 steps, which is four times greater than conventional 12-bit displays at 4,096 steps, providing true-to-life colors previously unseen.

Shape Adaptive Light and Real Depth Enhancer Add Depth for Vivid, Lifelike Images
      Newly introduced technologies, namely Shape Adaptive Light and Real Depth Enhancer, have taken the picture quality offered by Samsung TVs to new heights. These new features optimize contrast and produce clean and punchy images, adding a more realistic sense of depth to your screen.

Real Depth Enhancer improves picture quality by separating an object from a background. “Every image has an object and background with different requirements to bring out the optimal picture quality,” said Jo. “Real Depth Enhancer separates the object from the background to enhance the contrast of the object, making it look clear. In doing so, we can clearly distinguish the object from the background, creating a greater sense of depth and making the images pop.”

Shape Adaptive Light analyzes a scene and estimates the difference in the light layer by each section of a scene to control the light source. Shape Adaptive Light creates the effect of synergy with the latest Quantum Mini LED to precisely control and optimize the light source for an accurate contrast. “Simply put, it makes bright areas stay bright and the dark spaces around it stay dark. Additionally, the technology enables optimal contrast levels and allows details in the inkiest blacks, producing life-like picture quality,” said Jo.

Upgraded Neural Quantum Processor Allows Customized AI Upscaling for Any Given Scene
      Technological prowess has allowed us to enjoy 8K picture quality from the comfort of one’s home. Although not all shows and movies are made in 8K, users are able to take full advantage of the latest TV tech Samsung has to offer. In fact, the real value of 8K TVs comes from Samsung’s AI upscaling technology, which offers next-level picture quality by analyzing the image in real-time and upgrading it to higher picture quality or even 8K, regardless of the original image quality. Neo QLED 8K raised the number of neural networks from 16 to 20 to strengthen the capability for image analysis and upscaling. Multi-intelligent AI networks from the Neural Quantum Processor improve not only images, but also cloud games in 8K resolution for seamless and natural gameplay.

“As the number of networks has gone up, we were able to upscale a wider range of content to deliver a better viewing experience for users,” said Jeong. “Samsung added neural networks to make the image of cloud games vivid and reduce noise. The neural networks immediately analyze a picture, optimize a network and upscale it to 8K so that users can enjoy a cleaner game image.”

Jeong shared Samsung’s ambition to provide a better viewing experience: “Samsung’s multi-intelligence AI network is set up to continuously expand, delivering optimal picture quality technology according to a viewing environment and the latest content trends.”

Samsung’s 2022 QLED TVs, the World’s First HDR Displays With ‘Pantone Validated’ Approval
      Color is an important factor in evaluating a TV’s picture quality. Samsung has achieved 100% color volume since 2017 and displayed accurate and vivid colors. Samsung’s all-new 2022 QLED models, including Neo QLED 8K, became the world’s first HDR displays with ‘Pantone Validated’ certification. Pantone specializes in color and provides a global color standard, PMS (Pantone Matching System). The certification means that Samsung’s ability to accurately express colors is officially recognized. Neo QLED 8K was acknowledged for its accurate expression of 2,161 Pantone colors and 110 skin tone shades.

“Pantone Validated certification suggests that the color expression of Neo QLED 8K is almost on par with the colors we are able to detect with our eyes,” said Lee. “Technological advancements of Neo Quantum Processor, along with Quantum Dot material help our TVs accurately express more than 2,000 colors recognized by Pantone and also 110 skin tones, the most complicated and delicate colors.”

Smart Calibration — Automatically Calibrate and Optimize Picture Quality in an Easy and Convenient way
      Samsung has been providing industry-leading picture quality through technical innovation. A classic example is Smart Calibration, which is embedded in the latest TV models in 2022.

Smart Calibration enables anyone with a Samsung Neo QLED to calibrate their screen by simply using their smartphone.2 This allows users to calibrate their TVs for superb image quality through a simple step-by-step process with the Smart Calibration feature within the Smart Things app. All users have to do is open the Smart Calibration feature within the SmartThings app and point their smartphone camera towards the TV, the SmartThings app will then simplify the process to optimize picture quality. Users can choose between ‘Basic Mode’ and ‘Professional Mode’ according to how accurately they want to adjust picture quality. Basic Mode offers a quick calibration within 15 seconds, while Professional Mode optimizes more details of the picture and takes only 5-8 minutes to complete.

“Picture calibration normally requires expensive equipments, such as a measuring instrument and pattern generator. Smart Calibration enables users to adjust picture quality easily and conveniently with just their smartphone. Samsung developed this solution to help everyone easily calibrate their screens and enjoy accurate images,” said Jung. “Professionals who work with colors like photographers tend to calibrate their devices quite frequently — once every three months or six months. While this isn’t required for ordinary uses, it will be great for users to calibrate their screens using Smart Calibration when they first purchase the TV or when moving the TV to a different location.”

Samsung Neo QLED 8K, the First TV To Receive ‘Eye Care’ Certificate by Top Global Certification Institutes
      There is now more amazing content available via OTT services than ever before, and as a result, more and more people are spending their leisure time watching this content on TVs. Therefore, comfortable viewing experience is becoming an important factor influencing TV purchasing decisions.

The 2021 and 2022 Samsung QLED TVs, including Neo QLED 8K, won the ‘Eye Care’ certification from Verband Deutscher Elektrotechniker (VDE) in Germany, a test & certification association. This makes them among the first TVs to be awarded a certificate specific to eye care. VDE’s ‘Eye Care’ certification includes ‘Safety for Eyes’, ‘Gentle to the eyes’, flicker level,3 uniformity4 and color fidelity5 assessments. ‘Safety for Eyes’ certification is assigned to products with the emission levels of blue light, ultraviolet rays and infrared rays that fall into the ‘Exempt Group’ according to the classification of emission limits set by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).

‘Gentle to the eyes’ certification proves that the amount of melatonin suppression from a device meets the International Commission on Illumination (CIE) standard.

“As TVs become more of an entertainment hub in the home, there’s an increased demand for screens with top-tier picture quality that minimize eye strain. A comfortable viewing experience is quickly becoming a key factor in purchasing decisions, in addition to picture quality and performance. Neo QLED 8K, with its ‘Eye Care’ certification, meets these criteria, offering more comfortable watching experience to users,” said Jung.

Additionally, the Eye Comfort mode on Neo QLED 8K adjusts the screen’s brightness. It limits blue light to provide a more pleasant viewing experience, all done automatically by the TV’s Neural Quantum Processor. “AI technology automatically adjusts a screen’s brightness and color temperature according to a viewing environment so that users can comfortably enjoy their favorite content on their TV,” said Lee. “After sunset, you will see significantly warmer colors and reduced brightness, while during the daytime, the screen will be brighter and more vivid.”

AI technology To Provide Perfect Viewing Experience With Minimal Effort From the Users’ Side
      As displays get larger and the technology for enhancing picture quality improves, so too does the standard for good picture quality. “The ultimate goal of advancing our technology in picture quality is to enable our TVs to automatically adjust their own picture quality to its optimal setting, producing a lifelike image. We will continue to develop cutting-edge technology to offer true-to-life picture quality to our consumers,” said Lee.

“Our users’ overall viewing experience is just as important as accurate color and sharpness,” said Jo. This means it is essential to help users conveniently enjoy the best picture quality. “We consistently strive to create a viewing experience where users can simply enjoy content anywhere, in any environment. Samsung is committed to advancing AI technology to provide perfect picture quality with minimal effort from the users’ side.”

1 According to data released by market research firm Omdia
      2 Requires Galaxy S, Note, Z Flip or Z Fold series models released after January 2019, or an iPhone that supports Face ID. Supported models may differ depending on the situation. For more information, please check the product manual at samsung.com/support.
      3 According to International Electrotechnical Commission(IEC) standard
      4 According to International Standard Organization(ISO) standard
      5 According to Information Display Measurement Standard(IDMS) standard
      View the full article