Quantcast

[Interview] State of the Art: How Minted and The Frame Make Artwork More Accessible to All

Since the launch of The Frame in 2017, Samsung Electronics has strived to make artwork more attainable for all. The Frame Art Store allows for extraordinary, one-of-a-kind art selections to be accessible to consumers from the comfort of their own homes. Iconic institutions, art collectives and independent artists alike have all contributed to the Art Store’s ever-expanding selection, allowing users to enjoy more than 1,600 works of art suited to their unique styles and tastes.

The Art Store’s growing popularity has also provided rising artists a platform for their work to be seen by millions of art enthusiasts and design lovers worldwide. In particular, the Minted X Samsung The Frame partnership has allowed independent artists from more than 100 countries to have their work displayed alongside iconic works from renowned artists and institutions.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Mariam Naficy, Founder, co-CEO and Chairman of Minted, about the Minted x Samsung The Frame partnership and how this technology empowers artists with more opportunities.

Q: Can you tell us more about how technology enables you to carry out your mission to help new artists and make art more accessible?

It can be challenging for new artists to reach a large audience in the art world. Our mission has always been to showcase the best in independent design to consumers everywhere, regardless of an artist’s background.

For instance, Minted holds open art and design challenges that allow anyone in the world to submit their art or design. Our customers vote for their favorite submissions, and Minted’s proprietary algorithms parse through millions of these votes to determine the winning designs. This crowdsourcing process champions inclusivity while bringing fresh and trendy designs to market. Together with The Frame and the Art Store, we are proud to create a pathway for independent artists to display their work digitally in millions of homes.

Minted-Art-Store_main1.jpg

▲ Mariam Naficy, Founder, co-CEO and Chairman of Minted

Q: What made you decide to collaborate with the Art Store?

The Art Store shares Minted’s commitment to helping consumers discover and support artists. Samsung has curated incredible art, including works from prestigious museums around the world. We’re honored to see art from Minted artists in the same digital gallery as the classic or traditional masterpieces. By bringing the art of up-and-coming and emerging artists into peoples’ homes, Samsung is fostering inclusivity and accessibility, which are two values that are important to Minted.

Q: Can you share with us an artist success story that was made possible with Minted?

All the artists who have been featured in the Art Store have such diverse backgrounds, career paths and personal stories. For example, Bethania Lima, a Brazilian surface designer living in Uruguay, has grown her business through Minted — and has had the opportunity to bring her work into even more homes worldwide through our partnership with the Art Store.

Q: What are some advantages of displaying art on The Frame vs more typical ways of accessing art such as visiting art galleries or exhibitions?

In many homes, the television is in a room that serves as a gathering place, and bringing art into your home is a wonderful way to share the beauty of design with friends and family. Displaying unique art on The Frame turns an everyday living space into your own dynamic gallery that can be enjoyed from the comfort of your home with the people you love.

The Art Store’s audience has continued to grow, which has led to larger earnings opportunities and greater success for featured artists. We also love the curated, thematic lists that help people discover art in the Art Store.

Q: How has your own work evolved since you first partnered with Samsung?

Minted’s ongoing design competitions ensure that we always have the latest in art and design, and we’re very excited to have refreshed the Minted Art collection for the Art Store this year. It’s the first major refresh of our assortment since we launched, which is very exciting. Our new collection features a diverse group of artists and new art trends.

Q: What pieces would you recommend for users to enjoy through The Frame’s Art Mode?

Minted-Art-Store_main2.jpg

Fernanda Martinez’s Colorful Abstract — “Everything Changes”

• Fernanda Martinez is an Oakland, California-based artist and founder of La Tinta Art. She explores the subject’s relation with the environment through her abstract paintings and murals incorporating natural elements as themes. With an experimental and intuitive approach to her work, her pieces are unique statements that represent feelings of connection, expansion and growth. In particular, Martinez’s artwork “Everything Changes” was inspired by a sunny day in the city. Combining the yellows and browns from city buildings with vibrant golds, oranges and blues creates a unique and modern composition.

Minted-Art-Store_main3.jpg

Brandy Brown’s Figurative Art — “Festooned”

• Brandy Brown is the creative director of Marabou Design. As a wife and mother, she crafts with the idea of her modern family and their extraordinary friends in mind. Her background is in graphic arts, and she believes that function and clean design go hand in hand. Much like her personality, her aesthetic is described as both playful and smart. In her piece “Festooned”, Brown wanted to depict the serenity of a BIPOC1 woman holding a lush arrangement of florals. Just as flowers come in many varieties and colors, Brown wanted to capture the vast spectrum of femininity through her digital art.

Minted-Art-Store_main4.jpg

Raven Erebus’ Liner Abstract — “A Long Ray Around”

• Raven Erebus is a Silicon Valley-based artist who worked as a software engineer before turning to art full time when her health declined. Erebus’s work discovers the magic in the everyday world around us and is often inspired by her immediate environments, as she has a chronic disability. Erebus explains that her simple pen and ink drawings, like “A Long Ray Around”, consist of interlocking lines inspired by the shapes found in nature. The lines create pathways, rays and arches resulting in a soothing minimalist design that is perfect for modern decor.

To see the latest crowdsourced art pieces from the Minted x Samsung partnership, head to the Art Store on The Frame.

1 BIPOC stands for Black, Indigenous and people of color.

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By STF News
      Samsung Electronics announced today that the Samsung Gaming Hub1 is now rolling out to all 2022 Samsung Smart TVs bringing the best game streaming content and game playing experiences with no additional hardware or downloads needed. Announced during CES 2022, Samsung Gaming Hub is an all-in-one game streaming discovery platform where players can discover and play games they love from partners such as Xbox, NVIDIA GeForce NOW, Google Stadia, Utomik, and, coming soon, Amazon Luna. The Samsung Gaming Hub brings better, faster and more convenient access to all things gaming within Samsung TVs, including the 2022 Neo QLED 8K, Neo QLED 4K, QLEDs and 2022 Smart Monitor Series, bridging Samsung’s expertise in hardware and software for an optimal gaming experience.

“The Samsung Gaming Hub combines Samsung’s leadership in streaming technology with our experience in creating the industry’s most cutting-edge hardware, removing the barriers to entry so people can just play,” said Won-Jin Lee, President and Head of the Service Business Team at Samsung Electronics. “With expanding partnerships across leading game streaming services and expert curated recommendations, players will be able to easily browse and discover games from the widest selection available, regardless of platform.”

Where Gaming Comes Together
      Powered by Tizen, Samsung Gaming Hub allows players to instantly access the games they love from industry-leading partners such as Xbox, NVIDIA GeForce NOW, Google Stadia, Utomik, and coming soon, Amazon Luna in addition to their gaming consoles and PC, all in one convenient place.2 Players can use their favorite accessories, such as Bluetooth headsets and controllers with the Samsung Gaming Hub without the need to purchase new hardware — making it easier to access games than ever before. Additionally, users will be able to see expertly curated recommendations based on the latest and most popular games.

The Samsung Gaming Hub also seamlessly integrates music and streaming services to provide access to more entertainment options during gameplay, with easy connection to Twitch, YouTube and Spotify directly on the Gaming Hub experience menu. Players can get the latest gaming news, watch tutorials, play their favorite music and podcasts and view trailers from the most anticipated games all from the new and convenient Gaming Hub.

Streaming Innovation Meets Incredible Processor and Picture Quality
      Players can also look forward to an amazing gaming experience thanks to advanced motion enhancements and latency reducing technology across Samsung’s 2022 Smart TV lineup and 2022 Smart Monitor Series. Samsung’s latest lineups introduce faster decoding and optimized buffer control technology which reduces the input lag by more than an average of 30 percent compared to the previous models.

Additionally, Samsung’s latest AI upscaling technology optimizes game graphics, providing incredible 4K and 8K resolution with high color accuracy and sharpness.

For more details, visit the Samsung Gaming Hub page.

1 Gaming Hub is available in the following countries/regions: US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Korea and Brazil.
      2 Service availability for partners may vary by region; Amazon Luna will be available in select regions later this year.
      View the full article
    • By BGR
      The original iPhone launched 15 years ago, on June 29th, 2007, revolutionizing the industry. Other companies in the business had two choices: copy the iPhone, or stick with what they were doing. Google immediately saw the genius behind the iPhone and overhauled Android so that it was more like the iPhone instead of a BlackBerry clone. But it was Samsung that really made the most of the iPhone in the years that followed, copying everything about that original iPhone.
      The topic resurfaced 15 years later during a documentary released ahead of the iPhone’s 15th anniversary. It’s in this context that an Apple executive commented on the way Samsung copied the iPhone in the early years.
      15 years of iPhone
      The Wall Street Journal’s Joanna Stern made the iPhone anniversary documentary. The video features various current and former Apple executives talking about what it was like to make the first iPhone. They also explained all the innovations that followed. From the original iPhone to the iPhone 13, the clip shows the iconic designs and the features that helped Apple transform the industry.
      The clip looks at what the iPhone (and smartphones in general) mean for the younger generations, who were born into a world that relies on smartphones for everything. From keeping in contact with loved ones to work and entertainment, these devices do it all. And with that comes the problem of spending too much time on these screens.
      Apple’s marketing chief Greg Joswiak talked to Stern about the history of the iPhone. And that involved the impact the handset had on Apple’s competition. It’s in this context that Samsung came up, with the executive explaining how Apple felt about Samsung copying the iPhone.
      Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus smartphone. Image source: Samsung Did Samsung copy the iPhone?
      “They were annoying,” Joswiak said of Samsung. “And they were annoying because, as you know, they ripped off our technology. They took the innovations that we had created and created a poor copy of it, and just put a bigger screen around it. So, yeah, we were none too pleased.”
      Apple sued Samsung around the world starting in 2011, and it won one of the biggest cases, getting $1 billion initially. The final amount was just over half that following Samsung’s appeal. But by then, Samsung was already the big winner in the mobile industry. Its decision to ruthlessly copy the iPhone was the smartest decision Samsung ever made.
      The Korean giant never acknowledged any wrongdoing, and the two companies eventually settled in 2018. By then, Samsung was no longer copying the iPhone design and experience as blatantly. The Galaxy S phones had a different design and a different user interface.
      Ironically enough, most current smartphones look similar nowadays. And many Android designs still copy the iPhone.
      There’s no question that Apple took inspiration from Samsung too, at least when it comes to bringing bigger screens to the iPhone. But, to this day, Samsung continues to copy Apple’s iPhone innovations.
      Samsung also regularly mocks the iPhone maker in ads it then has to suppress when it eventually copies the very features it mocked.
      The Apple vs. Samsung camp continues to be divided even now, 15 years after the launch of the first iPhone. Each side accuses the other of copying mobile innovations. But nobody can ever forget Samsung’s 132-page internal document that shows Samsung’s plan to copy the iPhone pixel by pixel.
      That Apple vs. Samsung rivalry is only a tiny part of The Journal’s iPhone documentary, which is certainly worth watching in full. You’ll find it at this link.
      More iPhone coverage: For more iPhone news, visit our iPhone 14 guide.
      The post Apple exec calls Samsung annoying for copying the iPhone so blatantly appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article
    • By STF News
      The Art Store of Samsung Electronics’ The Frame is the epitome of the digital-physical blend taking over today’s art experiences, allowing widely acclaimed galleries, museums and artists to showcase their masterpieces to users around the world by harnessing The Frame’s immaculate digital display to emulate the experience of a physical exhibition.

Melanie Mikecz, a mixed-media artist and illustrator based in San Francisco, U.S., is taking these experiences to new heights with her combinations of naturally-occurring patterns with hyperbolic expressions to masterfully blend the worlds of painting and graphic design for art fans of all ages.

In order to learn more about how technology is helping Mikecz create art that inspires artists and enthusiasts alike, Samsung Newsroom sat down with her to learn more about her creative journey.

▲ Melanie Mikecz

Q: You specialize in a digital mixed media style that charms children and adults alike. What inspires your work?

I have a background in both painting and graphic design. I found that combining painted elements and new technology gives me the most artistic freedom. I am not limited by the constraints of traditional media, but at the same time, my work has more texture and depth than digital media alone.

I have always been inspired by naturally-occurring patterns and vibrant color palettes. However, I do always like to add a twist to my work. Whether that is by exaggerating the color or by creating an imperfect pattern. Now that I have children, I am also influenced by their interests and aesthetics.

Q: Was your original intention when creating art to appeal to all ages? Or has that been a natural, organic reaction to your work?

I don’t know that I consciously sought to create art for all ages. Rather I enjoyed making art that was vibrant and a little funky. I’ve always liked drawing animals and creatures, so that tends to appeal to children. My more abstract work is geared more towards adults. However, I think there is a lot of crossover between the two styles.

My Art Store collection for The Frame has bright palettes and imaginative creatures that charm children. At the same time, I think many adults will enjoy adding some color and energy to their living spaces through my work.

Q: What do you think of the Art Store as a piece of technology to include within the households of children? 

I would imagine that the Art Store positively affects children’s development as it introduces them to a rotating gallery of art. By periodically swapping out the art on The Frame, children are presented with a variety of artists, styles and subjects. I think this can both inspire children’s own creativity and start bigger conversations.

Q: As you said, your illustrations are known for their vibrant color expression. How does The Frame display that aspect of your art?

The Frame displays color better than traditional print media, so my artwork is much more vibrant on its screen than on paper or canvas. The texture of my work also comes through nicely on The Frame. Furthermore, its function as a digital display allows for my work to get in front of a wider audience.

Q: What made you decide to work with digital art platforms, such as Etsy and The Frame’s Art Store?

I have been marketing my work on Etsy for years since it is a great way to sell my art directly to the consumer. When I first heard about The Frame, I thought it was such an innovative concept. So, when Etsy and Samsung approached me to share my work this way, I was eager to get involved.

Q: What has been your favorite piece of your own to be displayed on The Frame? Why?

My piece Enchanted Sea is one of my favorites because it bridges the gap between abstract art and illustration. The cool color palette of this piece has a modern, beachy vibe.

▲ “Enchanted Sea”, Melanie Mikecz

Q: How does showcasing your work on a digital platform like the Art Store mutually benefit art enthusiasts and consumers alike?

First of all, using The Frame to display art when not watching television is so much nicer than simply having an empty black box on the wall. I also think that it is super fun to be able to swap out the art being displayed depending on your current mood, the season, your vibe or another reason. For example, my piece Sea Turtle Swim might be displayed during warm weather or when you are dreaming of a beach vacation.

▲ “Sea Turtle Swim”, Melanie Mikecz

However, my piece called Mountain Adventure by the Sea might be more fittingly displayed during winter.

▲ “Mountain Adventure by the Sea”, Melanie Mikecz

This collaboration with Samsung and the Art Store is also the first time that I have worked with a partner to display my work only digitally. I appreciate the time taken to curate the collections on the Art Store and how diligently credit is given to the artist. The way art is carefully selected and displayed means that the Art Store has the sophistication of a museum collection.

Q: Ultimately, where do you see the future of art exhibition headed?

In the future, protecting the artist’s intellectual property will continue to be a focus. I also envision that we will see smaller displays much like The Frame all throughout the home, as well as more prominent digital-based displays in the broader world as digital art exhibitions become more popular.

To see more of Mikecz’s art pieces, including Enchanted Sea, be sure to head to the Art Store on Samsung’s The Frame.
      View the full article
    • By BGR
      Amazon’s massive Prime Day 2022 sales event is just a few weeks away. That means there will soon be an avalanche of unbelievable deals on anything and everything you can think of. In fact, there are already some outstanding early Prime Day deals available right now — including free money from Amazon! But Prime Day isn’t the only game in town this summer. The huge Discover Samsung event you’ve been waiting for is now underway, and it’s packed full of terrific deals on popular Samsung devices.
      🚨 SHOP DISCOVER SAMSUNG NOW 🚨 From Galaxy phones and tablets to headphones, kitchen appliances, and stunning Samsung smart TVs. It’s all on sale right now in Samsung’s online store!
      Discover Samsung is the company’s biggest event of the year, and we’re going to highlight our favorite deals for you right here.
      Discover Samsung event: Best smartphone & tablet deals

Anyone in search of a new Galaxy smartphone has come to the right place. During the big Discover Samsung event of June 2022, there are some seriously impressive deals on the latest Samsung Galaxy phones.
      First up, you can get a Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G with free Galaxy Buds Live for as low as $599.99 with a trade-in. You can even trade in an old smartphone with a cracked screen and still get a credit up to $800. Plus, you’ll get 30% off when you also buy a Galaxy Tab S8 series tablet.
      Speaking of Galaxy S8 Tablets, Samsung is offering free $200 Galaxy Buds Pro with the purchase of any S8 series tablet.
      And if you think those deals are impressive, wait until you see Samsung’s Galaxy Z Fold 3 offer.
      Between now and the end of the Discover Samsung event, you can buy a new Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G with free Galaxy Watch 4 for the same low price of $599.99 with a trade-in. That means you’ll get a trade-in credit of up to $1,200!
      And last but not least, you’ll get a free memory upgrade and a trade-in credit of up to $1,000 when you buy a Galaxy S22 Ultra or a Galaxy S22/S22+. That means you can score a Galaxy S22 256GB starting at $99.99 or a Galaxy S22 Ultra 256GB for $199.99.
      Here’s a recap of those five great deals:
      Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G with free Galaxy Buds Live: $599.99+ with trade-in Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G with free Galaxy Watch 4: $599+ with trade-in Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra & free memory upgrade: $199.99+ with trade-in Galaxy S22/S22+ & free memory upgrade: $99.99+ with trade-in Galaxy S8 Series Tablet & free Galaxy Buds Pro: $149.99+ More great Samsung deals

The deals listed above are terrific for anyone in search of a new smartphone or tablet. Of course, that’s just the tip of the iceberg in the Discover Samsung summer sales event.
      There are also fantastic deals available on Samsung TVs, kitchen appliances, smartwatches, laptops, and more. Here are five additional deals that we love:
      Galaxy Watch 4: Save $70 and get an extra charger free Samsung The Frame 4K smart TV: Prices start at just $459.99, save up to $1,000 Galaxy Chromebook, 256GB, 8GB RAM, Fiesta Red: $649.00 (save $350) Bespoke AirDresser Clothing Care System: $1,149.00 (save $450) Bespoke 4-Door French Door Refrigerator: $2,499.00 (save $1,300) Do you want to see more of the deep discounts from the big Discover Samsung event? Start shopping now because this Samsung mega-sale is set to end on Sunday, June 26.
      🚨 SHOP DISCOVER SAMSUNG NOW 🚨 Go here to see this month’s best deals online!
      The post Discover Samsung event: 10 deals you need to see to believe appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article
    • By BGR
      The Galaxy Z Fold 4 is Samsung’s next flagship phone, and the foldable will introduce several significant improvements over its predecessor. And, if new leaks are accurate, the Galaxy Z Fold 4 will start at double the storage compared to its predecessor, or 512GB of built-in memory. The flash upgrade is welcome on a flagship device that will most certainly lack support for microSD storage expansion. That also means the most expensive Fold 4 model will go up to 1TB in storage space.
      But it’s not all good news, as storage upgrades don’t come cheap.
      Galaxy Z Fold 4 storage leaks
      If you thought the Galaxy Z Fold 4 series will not deliver a major product update, the wave of Fold 4 leaks should have made you change your mind by now. According to reports from trusted sources, the new foldable will be lighter and thinner than its predecessor.
      Not only that, but the handset will get an update to the aspect ratio, which will make it easier to use when folded. Moreover, the hinge crease might be milder than before.
      More importantly, the Galaxy Z Fold 4 will deliver a big camera update that should address criticisms regarding the Fold 3’s camera. Also important are the Fold 4 specs, with a recent report indicating that the new Samsung handset will feature the latest Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 processor. That’s good news to anyone familiar with the Galaxy S22 performance debacle.
      Galaxy Z Fold 4 storage options leaked in Korea. Image source: handphone.or.kr But that recently leaked specs sheet indicated the Fold 4 will come in two storage configurations: 256GB and 512GB. That’s in line with the previous model and a logical move for Samsung. That 256GB entry-level tier is double what you get on most smartphones. And that tier would let Samsung keep in place last year’s price, but that’s just speculation.
      A new finding from Korea indicates that Samsung will make 512GB and 1TB versions of the Galaxy Z Fold 4. That’s according to a website that seems to be run by the Korea Association for ICT Promotion.
      According to Redditors, that’s a website that manages information about lost cellphones in Korea. But the database also includes a hidden search service for smartphone model numbers, including unreleased devices.
      What about the price?
      The listings on the website only show two storage tiers for the Galaxy Z Fold 4: 512GB and 1TB. While some of the Fold 4 models in the list do not have storage designators, there is no entry for a 256GB model.
      We’re just speculating for the time being, but if the information in this database is accurate, then Samsung might double the storage on its next-gen foldable flagship.
      On the other hand, the 256GB storage tier is critical. That’s the kind of storage space you should expect from the cheapest Fold 4 model. Put differently, a bump to 512GB might also help Samsung justify a price increase for the new Fold 4.
      Galaxy Z Fold 4 design render: Foldable screen (top), cover screen and camera details (bottom). Image source: @OnLeaks and Smartprix One of the best things about the Galaxy Z Fold 3 is that the entry price dropped. The phone starts at $1,799, and that’s before all the crazy deals come in. Samsung did its best to lower the cost, offering buyers plenty of sales and the ability to trade in multiple gadgets.
      Nobody could blame Samsung for keeping that entry price in place or raising it, given the larger economic context. But it’ll be interesting to see if Samsung is ready to sell a 512GB Galaxy Z Fold 4 for $1,799. This would essentially give buyers a free storage upgrade.
      Again, we’re assuming there’s no 256GB version of the Fold 4. But there’s no proof that Samsung dropped the 256GB tier for the Fold line.
      Samsung will unveil the Fold 4 on August 10th, according to a leaker. We should learn more details about the new foldable’s storage options well before then.
      The post Samsung might give the Galaxy Z Fold 4 a major storage upgrade appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article