Quantcast

[Interview] How Samsung Electronics Endeavored To Deliver Immersive TV Experience Through Finest Sound

Samsung Research1 America’s Audio Lab has been working towards its mandate of ‘taking Samsung’s audio technology to the top of the industry’ since its foundation. From making improvements in the pure audio sphere to building leadership in advancing TV sound technology, the Audio Lab has surprised the entire industry with innovative solutions including the Q-Symphony and OTS (Object Tracking Sound) technologies.

Following the release of the HW-S800B Ultra Slim Soundbar for Samsung’s QLED TV line-up, which was unveiled earlier this year at CES, Samsung Newsroom spoke to Ema Souza Blanes at Audio Lab of Samsung Research America. She is the person behind the process for product validation and research that includes countless listening tests, all of which are conducted to deliver the best possible immersive viewing experiences with the finest sound.

Audio_Lab_Interview_main1F.jpg

▲ Ema Souza Blanes at Audio Lab of Samsung Research America

1. Briefly tell us about yourself and your role in the Samsung Audio Lab.

I am a French audio engineer, and after graduating from the engineering school Arts et Métiers ParisTech (ENSAM) and the Paris-Saclay University, I joined the Samsung Research America’s Audio Lab in Valencia, California. My role with the Audio Lab is to run listening tests for product validation and overall research purposes.

2. What is a new or recent trend happening in the soundbar industry?

Immersion is a topical subject in soundbar development, with the inclusion of more advanced audio technologies such as Dolby Atmos in home audio. Soundbars have also naturally followed the TV design trend with the intent of blending into the home décor with a sleek and discreet build. Though, despite these new slim designs, sound quality and immersion yet remain at the heart of soundbar development.

3. Samsung has recently released the ultra-slim soundbar HW-S800B. What were some of the primary objectives for this model?

The design process of the HW-S800B was dedicated to combining all aspects of these recent trends into one product. We aimed to develop a soundbar that blends seamlessly with discreet screens such as The Frame, which challenged us when it came to customization and optimization due to its slim design.

Audio_Lab_Interview_main2.jpg

▲ HW-S800B

4. The soundbar’s depth and height are 1.6” x 1.5”, which is a difficult size in which to include all amplifiers and multi-channel speakers. Can you describe some of the challenges you faced during the development process?

Most soundbars in the market that are designed to be slim or small typically have a weaker integration of the subwoofer to the soundbar. The result is a colored sound, especially when it comes to voices. The challenge was to avoid this effect and to ensure that voices are maintained in the center of the sound field. This required custom soundbar transducers and a design capable of low crossover frequency to the subwoofer.

5. We noticed that the subwoofer appears different from past models. Can you elaborate on this difference?

Most subwoofers feature a port to enhance the bass response. Since the HW-S800B’s subwoofer has a smaller enclosure which limits the port size, we recognized that this would cause turbulent air motion, resulting in distortion and less bass. This constraint was addressed by designing a custom passive radiator in place of a port and a long-excursion 6.5” woofer that is able to displace as much air as a larger woofer.

6. Similar to other premium Samsung soundbars, this model features a wireless connection between the soundbar and TV along with Dolby Atmos sound technology. Why should consumers want these capabilities?

Samsung’s 2022 soundbars come with Wireless Dolby Atmos connectivity, a wireless Smart TV-to-soundbar connection in which both the screen and soundbar speakers deliver an incredible audio experience with no distracting cables. It allows for smoother on-wall mounting setups by minimizing the number of visible cables. Nobody wants their homes cluttered or disorganized, and we are living in a time, in which more consumers are eyeing products that perfectly blend their sophisticated, personal style in and out of the home with technological innovation for a better, connected experience. I believe our soundbars exemplify this desire that we’re seeing in the consumer electronics industry.

Audio_Lab_Interview_main3.jpg

7. Samsung’s Q-Symphony sound technology has also significantly improved in the past year. What are some of the upgrades over the previous version?

In the 2021 TV models, Q-Symphony combined the power of the top speakers and the soundbar. The new Q-Symphony enhances the surround sound and feeling of immersion through channel separation technology. This enables the soundbar and TV speakers to work together with all the speakers on the TVs, including the top, bottom and side speakers, providing for an expansive, powerful soundscape.

8. Is there anything else we should know about the Audio Lab and your work?

Running listening tests is crucial to ensure the quality of our products. At Samsung, we work closely with our skilled listeners in various and rigorous listening tests where they give their opinion on our products including the comparison between our previous models. The HW-S800B is no exception and showed compelling results while also competing with much larger soundbars.

Audio_Lab_Interview_main4.jpg

▲ Samsung Research America’s Audio Lab

1 Samsung Research, acting as Samsung Electronics’ advanced R&D hub, leads the development of future technologies for the company’s Device eXperience (DX) Division.

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By STF News
      Samsung Electronics released its Odyssey Neo G8, the world’s first 240Hz 4K gaming monitor. At CES 2022, it was awarded the Best of Innovation Award in the Gaming category, receiving recognition for its technological excellence. To explore the features of the world’s first and fastest gaming monitor, Samsung Newsroom takes you through an unboxing of the Odyssey Neo G8.

Samsung’s Odyssey Neo G8 Offers Enhanced Convenience With Matte Display, Ergonomic Stand and More

When you first open the box, the assorted parts, including the monitor, stand neck, stand base and power cable are the first things you see.1

Installing the monitor is very simple.2 First, connect the stand base to the back of the product and fasten it with a screw. Then, connect the stand base to the stand neck and fasten the screw on the bottom. Then, put on the back cover and turn it clockwise. The monitor is now ready to be used.

Once assembled, the 32-inch curved shape of the monitor is eye-catching. The monitor has a 1000R curved VA panel, which is a curvature most similar to a human’s field of vision. This curvature intensifies immersion while gaming, making you feel as if you are really inside the world of the game.

The Odyssey Neo G8’s Matte Display was also verified as ‘Glare-Free’ by global safety certification company UL (Underwriters Laboratories), meaning its panel reduces light reflection. The display absorbs surrounding light so the user can enjoy an immersive gaming experience without being hindered by external elements, such as sunlight from windows.

Consoles and other gaming accessories can also be easily connected to the monitor. When the Odyssey Neo G8 is turned on, its Auto Source Switch+ feature automatically detects other devices and switches the screen to the source of those devices.

Plus, the monitor offers a Height Adjustable Stand (HAS), as well as Swivel and Tilt functionality for ergonomic efficiency and Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) compliant mounting.

Unrivaled Speed With 0.001 Second Response Time and 240Hz Refresh Rate

The Odyssey Neo G8 boasts a fast response time of 1ms (0.001 second) (GtG),3 giving users a more vivid gaming experience when playing games that require fast response times. Games such as first-person shooters (FPS) and racing games change screens rapidly, and lag or slow response times could affect the outcome of the game. Luckily, the Odyssey Neo G8 keeps up with the pace and gives gamers the best chance to win the game.

Refresh rate, which measures how many times per second the display is able to show a new image, is also very important to gamers. The Odyssey Neo G8’s refresh rate of 240Hz provides a stable and smooth viewing experience.

The monitor also comes with Low Input Lag to enhance response time. Input Lag is an indicator that measures how long it takes for input from a keyboard or mouse to be shown on screen. The lower the input lag, the shorter the input time and the faster the response time. The Odyssey Neo G8 has a low input lag of 1ms, helping gamers play more accurately in games where every second matters.

The tearing effect is another factor that can determine the outcome of a game. This is when the screen lags and the display becomes choppy due to a communication issue between the PC and the monitor. The Odyssey Neo G8 supports AMD FreeSync Premium Pro which minimizes screen tearing and lag when playing CPU-intensive games, allowing users to enjoy smooth visuals when playing games.

An Upgraded Vivid Gaming Environment With Quantum Matrix, HDR 2000 and Amazing UHD Picture Quality
      As the Odyssey Neo G8 is the world’s fastest 4K gaming monitor, it boasts a UHD resolution of 3,840 x 2,160. The UHD resolution enlivens the game by providing vivid graphics, making it seem as if the world of the game is right in front of your eyes.

The Odyssey Neo G8 also features Quantum Matrix Technology, which is Samsung’s proprietary technology that controls picture quality. Quantum Matrix uses Quantum Mini LEDs, which are 1/40 the height of conventional LEDs, as a light source for even more precise control of contrast. This technology clearly displays the contrast between the darkest shadows and brightest objects in scenes that utilize a wide spectrum of colors, such as explosion scenes, creating a more vivid gaming experience. It also prevents the halo effect, in which the light from a bright area on the screen bleeds into darker areas surrounding it.

The Quantum HDR 2000 utilized in the Odyssey Neo G8 delivers maximum brightness for a rich HDR experience. Specifically, it provides 4,096 steps for screen brightness adjustments and supports a high static contrast ratio of a million-to-one. Furthermore, the local dimming zone displays the color black more precisely. By capturing the reflected light of an enemy’s movement, the user can easily discover where the enemy is hiding and also notice the details hidden behind the shadows.

Superior Backlighting That Changes According to the Display Color

The lighting on the back of the monitor makes your gaming experience feel more futuristic. The Odyssey Neo G8 comes with the CoreSync lighting feature, in which the monitor automatically detects the color at the center of the display and syncs it to the color of the lighting on the back of the monitor. The monitor can display five different light colors, enabling gamers to enjoy a modern, sleek vibe while gaming. When gaming in a dark place, the CoreSync feature can blur the line between reality and the game, fully immersing the player in the experience.

Odyssey Neo G8 Leads the Premium Gaming Monitor Market
      The monitor’s fast response time and vivid picture quality maximize the immersive experience users can feel while playing a game. These modern features also help gamers be successful during gameplay, making the Odyssey Neo G8 the ideal choice for gamers.

The Odyssey Neo G8 has received positive reviews and is being called the “Best Gaming Monitor” by global media outlets. Techaeris and Trusted Review have raved about the Odyssey Neo G8, stating that it “offers up a fantastic picture and a high refresh rate,” and provides a “stunning, immersive gaming experience.”

The gaming monitor industry has gone beyond simply providing nice screens for game-playing. Products offering highly advanced features, such as fast speed, high picture quality and more, are becoming increasingly more important as they help gamers perform their best. The Odyssey Neo G8 is the top monitor for serious gamers who want to be immersed in the game while experiencing the best in picture quality during gameplay.

1 Accessories may vary by country or region.
      2 Needs to be installed according to the instructions in the manual. Placing the curved panel alone on a desk or floor can cause damage to the product.
      3 Gray to Gray. A unit of measurement of pixel speed. Used to measure the response time of gaming monitors.
      View the full article
    • By STF News
      Since its launch in 2017, Samsung Art Store allows for extraordinary, one-of-a-kind art selections to be accessible to consumers from the comfort of their own homes.

Traversing both the impenetrable jungle of the Ecuadorian Amazon to the bustling city of Santiago de Chile, Alberto Montt’s work, which reflects his experience and emotions as gleaned from everyday life, has been featured on Samsung Electronics’ Art Store since 2019, gaining him popularity from fans around the world.

Montt is known in particular for his experimental approach to art, which combines different elements to create a new way for people to enjoy his work. With the rising popularity of digital art forms and new mediums, Samsung Newsroom sat down with Montt to discuss his work and the meaning of digital art.

▲ Alberto Montt

Q: Can you please introduce yourself?

I am a Latin American storyteller. Illustration is my second language. I have about 30 published books, and I do standup performances that mix elements of spoken and graphic language. I am inspired by everyday life and emotional memory, which allows me to relate to the day to day.

Q: Your pieces are known to present cultural and contradictive statements through youthful illustrations. Where does your inspiration for this come from?

Art should force you to think and to question your position in this world. When art does not challenge you, it is pure decoration.

Q: As a storyteller and an illustrator, you utilize digital art as a means to interact with your audience. What can you say about its growing popularity and what are some of the benefits it brings to the art community?

It features multiple mediums, which comes with its advantages and disadvantages. Digital art is a tremendously complex tool that allows communication to be explored from virtually an infinite number of possibilities.

Q: How has your own artwork evolved as digital art and as technology has advanced? Are there any notable changes in your life that were deeply impacted by innovations in technology?

The biggest impact technology has had on my life was allowing me to move around the world while working. These days, I am able to take my workshop and my studio with me wherever I go.

▲ Alberto Montt during his standup performance

Q: Let’s talk about your partnership with Samsung Art Store. What type of role do you think it plays in the evolving, digital art world?

Being part of the Art Store has allowed me to reach a diverse and global audience in a way that no other platform I know can offer. Being able to exhibit digital art with the value it deserves is an achievement that only technology has allowed. With my own Art Store on The Frame, the images I see change very often, and my whole space is consequently altered and delineated by that randomness and diversity.

Q: Are there any advantages of displaying art on screens such as The Frame?

Absolutely. The range of colors and lighting of the screen completely modify the relationship between the viewer and the work. For me, it has been very exciting to plan the works that will enter the Art Store from that perspective. I would love to see how they are observed and “lived” within people’s everyday spaces.

Q: Can you introduce three of your favorite pieces on the Art Store?

Tigre is a visual exercise that takes me back to my childhood. I grew up in the Ecuadorian jungle and although there are no tigers, the idea of the foliage and the innumerable colors and shades of green moves me deeply.

▲ “Tigre”, Alberto Montt

Laberinto is another one of my favorites. It’s a work that seeks, from graphic simplicity, to represent the complexity of human relationships.

▲ “Laberinto”, Alberto Montt

Beso is an illustration that is part of a book published in Colombia that discusses curiosity and emotional awakening. This is the picture I like the most from that book, perhaps because it also has that vegetal exuberance.

▲ “Beso”, Alberto Montt

Q: Finally, where do you see the future of digital art headed?

For me, art is a game that is constantly changing. That reinvention excites me. It is that surprise that keeps me alive.

To see more of Montt’s latest art pieces, including Beso, head to the Art Store on Samsung’s The Frame.
      View the full article
    • By STF News
      Samsung Electronics announced today a new partnership with LIFE Picture Collection to expand the dynamic collection of art it offers consumers through its award-winning Lifestyle TV, The Frame.

LIFE Picture Collection is a visual archive of the 20th century, capturing more than 10 million photographs of historically significant figures and moments in time. Samsung Art Store has carefully curated 20 photographs from the collection, which will be available globally to owners1 of The Frame starting July 28. Samsung Art Store users will be able to experience history through stunning pictures, with subjects ranging from West Coast California surfers to Pablo Picasso and more.

“The Frame’s catalogue of art has grown immensely since it launched in 2017, and it has diversified greatly since then as well,” said Simon Sung, Executive Vice President and Head of the Sales & Marketing Team of the Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “It is important for us to be constantly seeking out new partners to bring customers a larger selection of high-quality artwork, and LIFE Picture Collection partnership is a momentous one. History is recorded in these photographs, and now consumers can exhibit them with the click of a button, without ever setting foot in a gallery or museum.”

Through partnerships like this, Samsung aims to make art more attainable to all, allowing for unique expression of taste and access to some of the most famous artworks in the world. Collaborating with LIFE Picture Collection brings a new selection of historically significant pieces to the already considerable library of paintings, graphic design and photography on Samsung Art Store. Samsung Art Store plans to introduce more photographs from LIFE’s iconic photo archive to make more of the collection accessible to the subscribers.

Designed to be a TV when it’s on and art when it’s off, The Frame is an innovative digital canvas that displays art from around the world in QLED picture quality. With Matte Display adopted in 2022 The Frame, consumers can enjoy beautiful works of art with drastically reduced light reflections so they can see what’s on the screen clearly. Iconic institutions, art collectives and independent artists alike have all contributed to Samsung Art Store’s ever-expanding selection, hosting more than 2,000 works of art that are suitable for every person’s unique taste.

With a 2-month complimentary Samsung Art Store subscription with 2022 The Frame, consumers can now display a piece of history in their own home straight out of the box.

For more information on The Frame, please visit Samsung.com.

1 Samsung Art Store subscription is required.
      View the full article
    • By BGR
      Samsung is trying to make its SmartSSD even smarter. The company recently unveiled the second generation of its computational SSDs. Samsung says the new SmartSSD will process data faster and reduce latency between the SSD and the CPU. This should help cut down on concerns about the CPU bottlenecking the speed at which the SmartSSD performs.
      New Samsung SmartSSD can process your data 50% faster, Samsung claims
      Samsung says that its new SmartSSD can process data 50% faster than the previous generation. It also uses 70 percent less power and reduces CPU utilization by 97 percent compared to standard SSD devices. That means the new SmartSSD should allow you to make use of your frequently accessed data without any bottlenecking.
      This isn’t Samsung’s first foray into computational storage, either. As noted above, this is the company’s second generation SmartSSD. The first offering wasn’t bad, offering some improvements over traditional storage options. However, with the new features and technology that Samsung’s SmartSSD now offers, you can expect it to push the bar a bit more. Samsung also has a long history with SSDs.
      Making gains
      Image source: Samsung One of the ways that Samsung’s new SmartSSD improved upon traditional is by removing the need to process information access on the CPU. It does this thanks to a system built into the SSD itself. AMD Xilinx Versal FPGA powers the SSD.
      Essentially, AMD Xilinx Versal FPGA allows Samsung’s SmartSSD to skip sending data to other components to process. It’s a good move, and one that’s proving to be useful, especially in systems where data movement is important.
      For the moment, Samsung’s SmartSSD is more geared towards the AI/ML inferencing market. That means users who rely on analytics and transcoding will be able to rely on the faster speed of the SmartSSD to be able to process their data quicker. For now, the new system is being pushed for commercial use. It’s unclear exactly when they might become more individualized.
      For now, though, Samsung is showing some noticeable gains in a market where users might not see much of a problem. However, with data processing becoming more important for different companies, it’s important to streamline the process as much as possible.
      The post Samsung’s new SmartSSD boasts up to 50% faster processing times appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article