Quantcast

[Interview] A World of Color and Wonder: Samsung Art Store Presents Shinique Smith

Shinique Smith is a New York-based artist widely recognized for her monumental fabric sculptures and abstract paintings infused with calligraphy and collages. In her art, she uses recycled objects or memories to showcase the power of personal possessions — believing that humans collect meaningful keepsakes in search of their own paradise. Her work has become renowned in the past two decades for conveying inspiring messages of personal expression, energy, history and identity. Now, Smith’s globally acclaimed artwork comes to life with The Frame’s cutting-edge technology.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Smith to discuss her artistic journey and the inspiration behind some of her work.

Interview-Shinique-Smith-Art-Store_Main1

▲ Shinique Smith poses in front of one of her works

From Early Creative Exposure to a Varied and Flourishing Career

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself and your career as an artist. How did your early exposure to the art world influence your career?

I was born, raised and educated in Baltimore, Maryland. My mother made certain that creativity was integral to my upbringing. What began as arts and crafts in my early childhood inspired me to attend the Baltimore School for the Arts, where I completed my undergraduate and graduate studies in fine art and arts education.

In addition to my more than 12 years of arts education, my mother’s creative and intellectual endeavors — including fashion design, science, world religions and spiritual practices — were all influential and have become the conceptual core of my artistic practice.

Art has shaped my worldview since it is a lifelong study, pursuit and career.

Q: You work with many different media, ranging from sculpture to painting. What is your favorite to work with?

I consider sculpture and painting to be opposite sides of the same coin, and my favorite is when they influence each other. I create with many materials — paint, fabric, collage, photography and performance. I enjoy finding the connections and harmonies that resonate between them.

Q: Tell us a bit about your artistic process. How do you get from start to finish on a project?

Drawing is the foundation of my artistic process. I draw sketches of sculptures that I’ve already made or plan to make in the future. This keeps my mind and hands coordinated and fresh. Paintings begin with words translated into gestures on paper or canvas. From there, I build layers, edit and find connections of color and meaning in the elements that I add. The process is almost entirely intuitive.

Q: Do you recall a pivotal moment or experience in your career that still influences your work?

“Twilight’s Compendium,” a site-specific installation at the Denver Art Museum, is one of my most signficant works. I used my body to make prints on the wall and combined them with sculpture and collage to create my first large-scale installation. It was a catalog of blues and a collection of marks that I learned throughout the process — which I continue to use now.

An Intimate Museum in Samsung’s Art Store

Q: Your work has been displayed at institutions ranging from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to the New Museum in New York. How does displaying your work on The Frame compare to displaying it inside museums or galleries?

Both platforms grant access to a wide audience. In museums, the viewer must take in the work in a more public, fast-paced environment. The Frame, on the other hand, is like having a piece of the museum in an intimate space, giving the viewer more time to explore details of the work.

Q: You have a collection of public works in cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and more. How do you feel public works like these compare to your work that is widely available to users of The Frame?

My public works are available for people to see while in transit. They are monumentally scaled, from 60 to 150 feet. Some are indoors and at ground level, and others are outside and so high in the air that viewers must be at a distance to see the whole piece. All my works — wherever they are found — reveal intricate details upon closer observation, similar to viewing art on The Frame.

Q: What pieces would you recommend users display on The Frame? Please give a brief explanation of each.

Interview-Shinique-Smith-Art-Store_Main2

▲ “Angel” (2011)

“Angel” is a composite of three images I shot of one of my favorite hanging sculptures. With pink and rainbows, this piece is great to display on The Frame since not everyone has space for work like this in their home.

Interview-Shinique-Smith-Art-Store_Main3

▲ “Dusk” (2012)

“Dusk” is a fabric wall sculpture and the only one that became a landscape made from clothing in my closet. I’m inspired by our quest for paradise and utopia through our keepsakes. For users, I hope it could be like viewing an imaginative rolling hill through a window.

Interview-Shinique-Smith-Art-Store_Main4

▲ “Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” (2019)

“Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” is new to The Frame, and it is my favorite part of a mural-like mixed media painting. Through the cut mirrors, the viewer catches glimpses of themselves in the work — like my experience riding the bus to school as a teenager or seeing my window reflection against the cityscape.

Technology and Artistic Accessibility

Q: Do you feel there are any advantages to displaying your work digitally, such as on The Frame?

I love seeing my work in different scales and mediums. The Frame is a beautiful platform that gives the viewer the advantage of both variety and intimacy.

Q: Throughout your career, how have you seen technology influence the art world? How do you see this changing in the future?

Anything that causes a shift in society is reflected in the art world — technology has evolved so drastically that it has changed modern society with home computers, wireless cable TV, the internet and social media.

Disposable cameras and camcorders gave people wider access to photography and videography. Now, everyone can film, document and share every increment of life through their smartphones.

Looking to the future, everyone is talking about AI and using it to think and create for people. As we continue this exploration, I hope we will continue to rely on our own abilities and creativity.

Q: Do you have any upcoming projects you’re able to tell us about?

“Metamorph” will open in April at the Monique Meloche Gallery during EXPO Chicago. The exhibition will showcase new paintings, sculptures and works on paper inspired by butterflies, transformation and resilient beauty.

This July, I will also present a new large-scale sculptural installation at the Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields.

My latest exhibition, “Parade,” recently opened at The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art. The synergy between my contemporary fabric works and the adorned, draped figures of European master paintings is striking. Available until January 2025, the gallery will feature various talks and performances starting this May through the fall.

Visit Samsung Art Store in The Frame to see more of Shinique Smith’s artwork.

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Samsung Newsroom
      Shinique Smith is a New York-based artist widely recognized for her monumental fabric sculptures and abstract paintings infused with calligraphy and collages. In her art, she uses recycled objects or memories to showcase the power of personal possessions — believing that humans collect meaningful keepsakes in search of their own paradise. Her work has become renowned in the past two decades for conveying inspiring messages of personal expression, energy, history and identity. Now, Smith’s globally acclaimed artwork comes to life with The Frame’s cutting-edge technology.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Smith to discuss her artistic journey and the inspiration behind some of her work.

▲ Shinique Smith poses in front of one of her works

From Early Creative Exposure to a Varied and Flourishing Career
      Q: Tell us a bit about yourself and your career as an artist. How did your early exposure to the art world influence your career?

I was born, raised and educated in Baltimore, Maryland. My mother made certain that creativity was integral to my upbringing. What began as arts and crafts in my early childhood inspired me to attend the Baltimore School for the Arts, where I completed my undergraduate and graduate studies in fine art and arts education.

In addition to my more than 12 years of arts education, my mother’s creative and intellectual endeavors — including fashion design, science, world religions and spiritual practices — were all influential and have become the conceptual core of my artistic practice.

Art has shaped my worldview since it is a lifelong study, pursuit and career.

Q: You work with many different media, ranging from sculpture to painting. What is your favorite to work with?

I consider sculpture and painting to be opposite sides of the same coin, and my favorite is when they influence each other. I create with many materials — paint, fabric, collage, photography and performance. I enjoy finding the connections and harmonies that resonate between them.

Q: Tell us a bit about your artistic process. How do you get from start to finish on a project?

Drawing is the foundation of my artistic process. I draw sketches of sculptures that I’ve already made or plan to make in the future. This keeps my mind and hands coordinated and fresh. Paintings begin with words translated into gestures on paper or canvas. From there, I build layers, edit and find connections of color and meaning in the elements that I add. The process is almost entirely intuitive.

Q: Do you recall a pivotal moment or experience in your career that still influences your work?

“Twilight’s Compendium,” a site-specific installation at the Denver Art Museum, is one of my most signficant works. I used my body to make prints on the wall and combined them with sculpture and collage to create my first large-scale installation. It was a catalog of blues and a collection of marks that I learned throughout the process — which I continue to use now.

An Intimate Museum in Samsung’s Art Store
      Q: Your work has been displayed at institutions ranging from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to the New Museum in New York. How does displaying your work on The Frame compare to displaying it inside museums or galleries?

Both platforms grant access to a wide audience. In museums, the viewer must take in the work in a more public, fast-paced environment. The Frame, on the other hand, is like having a piece of the museum in an intimate space, giving the viewer more time to explore details of the work.

Q: You have a collection of public works in cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and more. How do you feel public works like these compare to your work that is widely available to users of The Frame?

My public works are available for people to see while in transit. They are monumentally scaled, from 60 to 150 feet. Some are indoors and at ground level, and others are outside and so high in the air that viewers must be at a distance to see the whole piece. All my works — wherever they are found — reveal intricate details upon closer observation, similar to viewing art on The Frame.

Q: What pieces would you recommend users display on The Frame? Please give a brief explanation of each.

▲ “Angel” (2011)

“Angel” is a composite of three images I shot of one of my favorite hanging sculptures. With pink and rainbows, this piece is great to display on The Frame since not everyone has space for work like this in their home.

▲ “Dusk” (2012)

“Dusk” is a fabric wall sculpture and the only one that became a landscape made from clothing in my closet. I’m inspired by our quest for paradise and utopia through our keepsakes. For users, I hope it could be like viewing an imaginative rolling hill through a window.

▲ “Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” (2019)

“Memories of my youth streak by on the 23” is new to The Frame, and it is my favorite part of a mural-like mixed media painting. Through the cut mirrors, the viewer catches glimpses of themselves in the work — like my experience riding the bus to school as a teenager or seeing my window reflection against the cityscape.

Technology and Artistic Accessibility
      Q: Do you feel there are any advantages to displaying your work digitally, such as on The Frame?

I love seeing my work in different scales and mediums. The Frame is a beautiful platform that gives the viewer the advantage of both variety and intimacy.

Q: Throughout your career, how have you seen technology influence the art world? How do you see this changing in the future?

Anything that causes a shift in society is reflected in the art world — technology has evolved so drastically that it has changed modern society with home computers, wireless cable TV, the internet and social media.

Disposable cameras and camcorders gave people wider access to photography and videography. Now, everyone can film, document and share every increment of life through their smartphones.

Looking to the future, everyone is talking about AI and using it to think and create for people. As we continue this exploration, I hope we will continue to rely on our own abilities and creativity.

Q: Do you have any upcoming projects you’re able to tell us about?

“Metamorph” will open in April at the Monique Meloche Gallery during EXPO Chicago. The exhibition will showcase new paintings, sculptures and works on paper inspired by butterflies, transformation and resilient beauty.

This July, I will also present a new large-scale sculptural installation at the Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields.

My latest exhibition, “Parade,” recently opened at The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art. The synergy between my contemporary fabric works and the adorned, draped figures of European master paintings is striking. Available until January 2025, the gallery will feature various talks and performances starting this May through the fall.

Visit Samsung Art Store in The Frame to see more of Shinique Smith’s artwork.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics, a global leader in the display industry, today announced the launch of a new collection of Keith Haring’s renowned work to Samsung Art Store,1 starting on December 1. The collection features 122 of the legendary artist’s most notable pieces from the 20th century, introducing his indelible legacy to homes across the globe.

“We’re thrilled to bring the power and vitality of this contemporary master to the Samsung Art Store,” said Seline Sangsook Han, Executive Vice President of the Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “Keith Haring created a visual language that is recognizable around the world and we’re delighted to provide these artworks on a digital platform for our global audience to enjoy at home.”

Keith Haring, one of the most renowned young artists of his time, was a quintessential representation of New York urban street culture in the 1980s. Inspired by the street art that characterized the city, Haring began exhibiting his work in galleries and museums around the world. He also participated in social awareness projects, including literacy campaigns and anti-AIDS initiatives.

Samsung Art Store users can now display works such as “Radiant Baby,” “Retrospect” and “Untitled (Dancing Dogs)” making these iconic Haring artworks more widely available to consumers worldwide. The selection is also specially curated and optimized for The Frame’s 16:9 screen ratio.

“Working with Samsung Art Store felt like a great opportunity to share Keith Haring’s iconic artwork with a global audience,” said David Stark, the Founder and President of Artestar, an international brand licensing and consulting agency representing the Keith Haring Studio. “Keith lived by the ethos of ‘art is for everybody,’ and The Frame allows his work to enter the homes of fans and newcomers alike. We hope this collection will spark interest in Haring and his legacy.”

Throughout his career, Haring produced art not just as a creative outlet, but also for the betterment of his community. He created numerous murals, sculptures and paintings to benefit hospitals, underprivileged children’s groups and various community health organizations. His foundation is committed to working with museums, galleries, publishers and art education program curators to commemorate his work. Haring has been the subject of several international retrospectives and his work is featured in major private and public collections, including the Museum of Modern Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art and much more.

Since the inception of Samsung Art Store in 2017, Samsung has partnered with notable artists, museums and art galleries to make it possible for users to view masterpieces and invaluable collections from the comfort of their own homes. Alongside this collection, Samsung Art Store houses thousands of additional digital artworks from masters — such as Gustav Klimt, Kandinsky and Van Gogh — and digital art collections from major global institutions — including Tate in London, the Prado Museum in Madrid and the Belvedere Museum in Vienna.

For more information on The Frame and Samsung Art Store, please visit samsung.com.

1 Samsung Art Store subscription is required.
      2 The number of works available may vary depending on region.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Creativity lies at the heart of everything we do. It transcends borders and redefines limitations, while cultivating new ideas and bringing them into life. Creatives demand tools that can fuel their artistic pursuits. Tools that translate their dreams and vision into reality. Enter the ViewFinity S9.

As part of the ViewFinity S9 Story series (see part 1 with DEVSISTERS and part 2 with OIMU here), Samsung Newsroom sat down with Emmy-winning artist Mike Perry, whose artistic explorations cover a broad spectrum, from the vivid and colorful paintings to whimsical animations and beyond, to talk about how his ViewFinity S9 fits into his creative process.

▲ Mike Perry

Mike Perry is an Emmy-winning multidisciplinary artist based in Brooklyn, New York. He is known for his vibrant and imaginative paintings that often encourages viewers to see the world from a fresh perspective. His works often feature playful characters, fluorescent color palettes and intricate patterns, transforming everyday reality into a dreamlike landscape that pushes the boundaries of creativity.

Q: Could you tell us a bit about yourself?

Oh, hi. I’m Mike Perry. I’m an artist based in New York. I make all kinds of crazy, fun, colorful things — paintings, drawings, animations — and work with incredible clients. I’m living the dream. It’s bright here, but not as bright as this beautiful monitor. Welcome to my studio!

Q: What role does your monitor play in your creative process?

The monitor is everything. I use it constantly. It’s like a part of my eyeballs. It allows you to see the things you’re making. You can see how they come to life. And you just want them to be as beautiful and true to what’s actually there in the real world.

When I’m making a painting, I use it for the final step in the process. Basically, you know, color correcting and taking different elements to make sure my images feel as rich and true as possible. When I work digitally, the monitor is basically just the same thing as the canvas. The monitor is essential. It’s everything.

Q: What’s the first thing that stood out when you saw the ViewFinity S9?

The first thing that popped out with the ViewFinity S9 was immediately just the color itself. It’s just bananas. I’m kind of obsessed with fluorescent colors. I can’t stop using them. Color is such an important part of my existence. Just look at how rich and bright, lush and gooey the beautiful monitor is. It was just incredible to turn the thing on and just watch it, poof, glow.

I was also impressed with how easy it was to just turn on and use. The benefit of making paintings and being a painter is that I’m not always in front of a computer, so when I just popped it open out of the box, it was easy to put together and turn it on. And it just works.

Q: What does a Pantone Validated1 monitor mean to creatives?

I love Pantone colors. It’s been really great to see how true to life the Pantone Swatches are to the monitor. I mean, the Pantone book is definitely like a color bible. It’s essential. But then, you’re always dealing with the reality of what’s on screen versus what you’re going to print with. You always have to take a leap of faith that it’s going to match up because the digital to print world is so mysterious. So, it’s just been really lovely to know that what I’m looking at is the same as the color on the swatches. It’s incredible.

Q: Speaking of color accuracy, have you tried the Smart Calibration feature? What did you think of it?

I love the Smart Calibration feature.2 It was so easy to use, and the app is so straightforward. You want things to represent themselves in the truest form so that you know what you’re creating is going to translate across multiple platforms and different mediums. I love that I’m able to make sure that the colors are represented the way that I want them to be. That’s such a nice guarantee.

Q: What other features help bring your artistic visions to life?

One of the headaches that is given to digital artists is working widescreen versus 9:16. In normal screens, you can only see a little bit of 9:16 so it’s such a bummer. So, being able to turn the screen and see the image the way it’s supposed to is just amazing!

The Matte Display has been so lovely. The sun comes in the morning and pops through the windows, and it’s my favorite part of the day but it just smashes right into my screen. It’s just been lovely to not have sunlight disrupt my process and not have to step away from my computer while the sun is doing its beautiful thing. I also have The Frame TV at home, so I’m quite used to the Matte Display at this point.

Q. What else can you tell us about your ViewFinity S9 monitor?

Lastly, the camera is great. The angle is really nice and I love this security guard. If I want to talk to somebody, I can jump on, and if not, then I’m free. No one’s watching me.

Q. Would you recommend ViewFinity S9 to other designers?

I find it incredibly important to have a beautiful monitor. Something with a lot of resolution, something that’s going to give me the best that I can get and need for what I’m working on. I’ll just say about ViewFinity S9 that color is good.

1 The ViewFinity S9 authentically reproduces more than 2,000 colors which can be found in the PANTONE Guide. Pantone Validated uses the universally recognized Pantone Matching System (PMS) digital library and objectively tests more than 2000+ Pantone colors.
      2 Smart Calibration enables users to conveniently customize the ViewFinity S9’s screen for precise settings — including color temperature, luminance, color space and gamma settings — using their smartphones, without expensive, complex calibration equipment. Available on Galaxy S10 or later, Galaxy Note10 or later, Galaxy Fold devices, Galaxy Flip devices, iPhone 11 or later and the second generation iPhone SE 2 or later. Latest version of the SmartThings app required.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics today announced that it is displaying a masterpiece by Park Seo-Bo, a leading figure in contemporary Korean art, on The Wall All-in-One (IAB model) at New York’s iconic Rockefeller Center.

As part of the “Origin, Emergence, Return” exhibition, Samsung has partnered with Johyun Gallery, combining the artistic brilliance of Park Seo-Bo with Samsung’s state-of-the-art Micro LED technology to bring an unrivaled viewing experience that pushes the boundaries of digital art display. Visitors can appreciate the art from Park’s iconic “Écriture” series on The Wall’s immersive 146-inch 4K screen. The Wall All-in-One provides an awe-inspiring visual experience that replicates the intense colors and intricate textures of Park’s painting, allowing visitors to be fully immersed in the artwork.

This collaboration also marks the first digital rendition1 of Park’s artwork. Utilizing microphotography, the original artwork was captured in 56 segments in an ultra-high resolution and is shown by slowly zooming out from a magnified coin-sized area of the artwork. In this process, the work is imbued with movement and the complex texture of Écriture created with paint and traditional handmade Korean paper, Hanji, is fully brought to life, the entirety of which was perfectly captured by The Wall’s captivating display.

“I wanted to highlight the intricate universe of the original artwork by adding a dynamic component into every corner of the painting,” said Park. “The Wall’s digital display masterfully renders the nuanced texture of Hanji and the fluctuating red hues under sunlight, revealing details that could have been easily overlooked with the naked eye.”

Samsung’s The Wall All-in-One is powered by advanced Micro LED technology and has won numerous awards, including “2023 Best of Show” at both Integrated Systems Europe (ISE) 2023 and InfoComm 2023, the world’s leading AV and systems integration exhibitions.

With its convenient installation process of using a pre-adjusted seam, it enables effortless customization to create the perfect ambiance for the displayed content, saving businesses time and resources. Plus, thanks to a sleek and slim design, it seamlessly fits into any commercial environment, making it the preferred choice for businesses looking to elevate their displays.

The exhibition also features a media room with Samsung’s 85-inch Neo QLED 8K Signage (QPA-8K model), which presents Park’s artistic process through a series of videos and documentaries, providing viewers with a comprehensive overview of the artist’s unique vision and creative journey. Visitors at the Rockefeller Center will have the unique opportunity to see more than 40 pieces of Park’s artwork, including the digital exhibition on The Wall All-in-One, until July 23.

“We are truly honored to showcase Park Seo-Bo’s extraordinary work through The Wall All-in-One, which beautifully highlights the artist’s mastery of color and texture,” said Hoon Chung, Executive Vice President of the Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “We will continue to forge new partnerships and introduce innovative solutions that push the boundaries of display technology.”

For more information on Samsung’s The Wall All-in-One, please visit http://smsng.co/B2Bsolutions.

1 Video Art Title: [1 OF 0], Directed by Jifan Park
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      We live in an era where digital technology and art coexist. Samsung has been offering curated art selections since 2017, with The Frame Art Store providing access to an expansive range of artworks from world-renowned galleries and museums.

On Samsung Neo QLED, the company is partnering with Jibin Im, a pop artist, to display a wide selection of his artworks. Im has been transforming ordinary spaces into galleries and delivering art to audiences with minimal access to art galleries — calling the concept ‘Art Delivery’.

Samsung’s Newsroom sat down with Jibin Im, who actively interacts with the public who views his art.

▲ Pop artist Jibin Im

‘Art Delivery’ Provides a Close Connection and Positive Influence
      Im realizes that lately it has been difficult to visit museums in person, which is why he started to engage in his ‘Art Delivery’ project. By installing his art in ordinary settings like street corners and bus stops, everyone can truly enjoy art anywhere at any given time. The artist’s approach aligns with Samsung’s ‘Screens Everywhere’ vision, which drives the company’s goal to provide content and information to customers anytime and anywhere through screen that fits various lifestyles.

Recently, Im has exhibited an installation inspired by ‘BE@RBRICK’, a bear-shaped toy that has become a symbol of modern expression. “BE@RBRICK’s characteristics of constant transformation into various forms and value depending on added elements are quite similar to how people in the modern society are,” he added.

The Stunning Technology of Quantum Mini LED Reveals Every Hidden Detail and Color in Art
      Im, who carefully curates colors to represent a spectrum of emotions in his art, is looking forward to showing his work on Samsung QLEDs. He says, “Neo QLED delicately adjusts screen brightness, bringing life-like pictures at its intended color and texture to the miniscule level of details.” Im mixes his own colors and is extremely sensitive to color tone, and Neo QLED meets his standards in color display.

The Quantum Mini LED technology in Samsung QLEDs reveals not only fine details on screen but also a wide spectrum with thousands of colors. As a testament to its accurate color reproduction, Samsung’s all new 2022 QLED models received the world’s first ‘Pantone Validated’ certification from Pantone for its accurate expression of 2,030 Pantone colors and the newly added 110 skin tone shades.

Since Im uses a great deal of color in his artworks, they look breathtaking on Samsung QLEDs through the power of Mini LED technology. He mentioned how he “[uses] a wide array of colors to evoke different emotions and exude a certain type of energy in [his] works,” ultimately to convey the multitude of feelings that we experience in everyday life. “Samsung Neo QLED is the best device that will perfectly display the color and texture I want to express,” he added.

Im says he is looking forward to kickstarting various projects in Korea and hopefully reaching audiences across the globe. His artworks will be shown on Samsung’s 2022 Neo QLED (QN85).

View the full article