Quantcast

[Interview] A Journey Into the Colorful World of Open Impressionism: Erin Hanson x Samsung Art Store

I know my pieces are influencing AI models and millions of digital paintings. While I’m not sure where this trend will lead, I do know that original art created by humans will always be the basis of any technology in the future.

– Erin Hanson, painter

Erin Hanson’s artistic journey is as vivid as the landscapes she paints. Drawing from the dramatic hues of Red Rock Canyon in Nevada and the Pacific coast, Hanson uses bold colors and textured brushstrokes in her signature style of “Open Impressionism.”

Through Samsung’s long-standing partnership with Saatchi Art, customers can access her unique works and access her colorful world on Samsung Art Store. Samsung Newsroom sat down with Hanson to discuss the scenery that inspires her and hear how technology is blurring boundaries in the art world by merging the physical with the digital.

Samsung-Art-Store-Erin-Hanson_main1.jpg

▲ Erin Hanson

Letting Creativity Bloom

Q: Tell us a bit about your artistic journey. When did you begin painting?

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted to be an artist. I started with oil paintings when I was 8 years old and explored other mediums — but I was always drawn back to oils since that’s what the masters painted in. When I hold a brush full of buttery paint and breathe in the smell of oils, I feel directly connected to the great painters of the past.

Q: Please tell us more about Open Impressionism.

People kept telling me that my paintings were distinctive and instantly recognizable, so I formed the term Open Impressionism after I had crafted about 400 paintings in this unique style. My focus is on color, light and the feeling of being surrounded by beauty in the outdoors. I call my style “open” because my inspiration comes from open-air landscapes. I use the impasto technique and keep my impressionistic paintings highly textured without smearing or blending colors. Through decisive brushstrokes, I let the underpainting peek out to give my works the appearance of stained glass or a mosaic.

Samsung-Art-Store-Erin-Hanson_main2.jpg

▲ Dawning Saguaro (2021)

Q: Your paintings often feature stunning natural landscapes. What are your favorite locations? How have they influenced your creative process?

My first muses were the rocky landscapes of Nevada and southern Utah — the saturated colors of the scenic desert gave me endless subject matter whenever I went rock climbing at Red Rock Canyon. I’ve now explored many national parks and monuments including Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon and Canyon de Chelly.

When I moved back to California, I started exploring Carmel and Mendocino on the Pacific coast. I fell in love with painting the vineyards, oak trees and rolling hills of California’s wine country. Yosemite and Lake Tahoe always draw me in with their dramatic colors and seasons.

“When I hold a brush full of buttery paint and breathe in the smell of oils, I feel directly connected to the great painters of the past.”

Framing Nature’s Beauty

Q: Your painting “Coastal Poppies II” is a favorite among users of The Frame. How did you translate this captivating piece for a digital platform?

“Coastal Poppies II” is inspired by one of my favorite coastal views in California, near Heart Castle and Big Sur. The painting brings me back to a time when the poppies were in full bloom, and I was standing alongside Highway 1 on the edge of the Pacific Coast looking down into the rich aquamarine water with the salty ocean air blowing into my face. The contrast in colors and textures was so breathtaking that I completed four paintings in this series. The most recent was “Coastal Poppies IV” in 2022.

Samsung-Art-Store-Erin-Hanson_main3.jpg

▲ Coastal Poppies II (2020)

I formed the term Open Impressionism after I had crafted about 400 paintings in this unique style. My focus is on color, light and the feeling of being surrounded by beauty in the outdoors. I’ve [now] painted more than 3,000 oil pieces in [this] style

Q: Can you share how you feel about your work being displayed on The Frame?

I like The Frame because the art is displayed on a wall, right where a real painting would hang. My fans and collectors can experience the brushstrokes and rhythms of texture within the painting which can be difficult to see on smaller displays.

I am also amazed at how well the Frame recreates the vibrant colors of my artwork. My impressionist paintings are all about color, and I love how the Frame captures the colors so accurately!

*Editor’s note: In 2024, The Frame became the first in the industry to earn the Pantone® Validated ArtfulColor certification. The Matte Display also minimizes light reflection to help viewers admire art under overhead room lights or even daylight.

Q: Out of all your pieces that users can display on The Frame, which are your top three picks?

My favorites are “Coastal Poppies II,” “Apple Blossoms” and “Cherry Blossoms.”

Samsung-Art-Store-Erin-Hanson_main4.jpg

▲ Apple Blossoms (2023)

“Apple Blossoms” was inspired by a 30-year-old apple tree on my property. Since I moved up to the Willamette Valley in the Oregon wine country, I’ve been attracted to the four seasons in the Northwest.

Samsung-Art-Store-Erin-Hanson_main5.jpg

▲ Cherry Blossom (2023)

“Cherry Blossom” captures a grove of blooming cherry trees near my gallery in McMinnville, Oregon. With pink cherry blossoms against a perfect blue sky, the painting is truly a harbinger of spring.

Q: “Apple Blossoms” will be part of Samsung Art Store’s April curated collection, “Spring in Bloom.” What can users expect?

The “Spring in Bloom” collection will capture everything there is to love about springtime. I live in Oregon, where spring arrives after a long, cold and wet winter. It feels like that moment in “The Wizard of Oz” when the world turns to technicolor — almost like someone flipped a switch one night, and the world is suddenly full of daffodils, mustard fields and flowering plum and cherry trees. I hope users get to experience that same kind of wonder and magic when they see this collection.

My dream is to create an immersive Erin Hanson experience where people can step right into my paintings [in a digital environment] and be surrounded by moving pictures of my artwork

Embracing Immersive Art Through Technology

Q: Can you share more about what drew you to work with Saatchi Art, a longtime partner of the Art Store?

Beyond showing its works on The Frame, Saatchi Art is the best online hub for showcasing original artwork. The art collection is well-curated, with, and there is an amazing variety of styles and mediums. The fact that there is something for everyone makes it a great way for collectors to find new artwork, again and again. I have been selling my work through Saatchi Art for over a decade now. The Saatchi team is always helpful and easy to work with.

Q: Traditional art galleries allow viewers to experience paintings in person and fully appreciate the texture, brushstrokes and scale. How do you think digital formats impact the way people engage with art?

I’ve painted more than 3,000 oil pieces in my Open Impressionism style — and truthfully, I struggled to find ways to share my work with fans and collectors. Although I have several coffee table books and many paper prints, the best way to share my collections is through digital formats.

For digital formats, we typically look for compositions that work well on a long, horizontal layout. To obtain such high-resolution images of my paintings, we use a large scanner in my gallery that takes up the entire room. The scanner photographs the paintings from above using five different light angles, so we can control the amount of shadow that is visible in the final images. This variation gives the illusion of three dimensions, so you can almost reach out and feel the brushstrokes.

In addition, we map my oil paintings to produce high-resolution, three-dimensional textured prints. They’re so lifelike that most people can’t tell the difference between the replica and the original.

My dream is to create an immersive Erin Hanson experience where people can step right into my paintings and be surrounded by moving pictures of my artwork. In a digital environment like this, visitors can appreciate a larger quantity of art than the dozen or so pieces they might see hanging in a gallery or festival setting.

Q: Do you see technology playing an increasingly significant role in the art world? If so, how do you anticipate this trend to unfold in the years to come?

I am sure technical innovators will continue to find new ways to create and share artwork. For example, bigger The Frame TVs would allow art lovers to display even larger works of art on their walls. I know my pieces are influencing AI models and millions of digital paintings. While I’m not sure where this trend will lead, I do know that original art created by humans will always be the basis of any technology in the future. A computer may be able to alter and combine different paintings to create a new piece, but the original images were all created by individual artists who viewed the world in their own distinct ways.

Q: Can you tell us about any upcoming projects?

This year, I am traveling to France to follow in the footsteps of the impressionists and visit all the famously painted locations in Paris, following the Seine to Arles and Le Havre in southern France. I will be visiting the windowsill where Van Gogh sat and painted “Starry Night” and exploring the gardens that Monet so famously painted. This has been a dream of mine for several years, and it is finally coming true. Afterward, I plan to create a collection of French-inspired works in homage to the 150th anniversary of the first impressionist exhibition.

The works from this collection, “Reflections of the Seine,” will be released in September. You can read more here: erinhanson.com/Event/ReflectionsoftheSeine.

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics today announced new Odyssey OLED gaming monitors debuting at CES® 2024, the world’s biggest tech event owned and produced by the Consumer Technology Association® (CTA), in Las Vegas next week.

The new OLED models deliver on the performance and visual clarity gamers look for in their monitors and include the Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SD model), Odyssey OLED G8 (G80SD model) and the Odyssey OLED G6 (G60SD model).

The Odyssey OLED G9 is a 49” curved ultra-wide gaming monitor with DQHD (5,120 x 1,440) resolution, a 32:9 aspect ratio and other upgraded features. The Odyssey OLED G8 is the first flat 32” Samsung OLED gaming monitor with 4K UHD (3,840 x 2,160) resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio. Both monitors have a 240Hz refresh rate and 0.03ms GTG response time.1 The Odyssey OLED G6 is a 27” QHD (2,560 x 1,440) monitor which supports a 16:9 aspect ratio, 360Hz refresh rate and 0.03ms GTG response time.

“Along with game genres, gaming platforms are getting more diverse,” said Hoon Chung, Executive Vice President of the Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “Samsung’s new OLED Odyssey gaming monitors will empower gamers with more immersive game environments and innovative technology that personalize their gaming experiences — meeting and exceeding their evolving needs.”

Technologies Enabling Delicate Nuance

All three new models feature OLED Glare-Free technology that minimizes light reflections, enabling an enhanced viewing experience without extra equipment, so users can play games with consistent brightness and color in nearly any lighting environment.

With VESA DisplayHDR True Black 400, the monitors deliver incredible details and vivid colors independent of the game or content being displayed. What’s more, they support AMD FreeSync Premium Pro for ultra-smooth, low-latency HDR gaming.

The three new monitors bring comprehensive physical connectivity, with two HDMI 2.1 ports, a USB hub and a DisplayPort 1.4 input. Users will also enjoy better comfort and convenience with VESA mount2 compatibility and a height adjustable stand (HAS) that features tilt, swivel and pivot3 control points.

Connected Experiences in a Complete Ecosystem

The Odyssey OLED G9 and Odyssey OLED G8 now offer Multi Control, a new feature that provides seamless device connectivity for an easier, improved multi-device experience. Multi Control allows users to seamlessly transfer images and/or text between their Samsung monitor and other Samsung devices — including their Galaxy Book, tablet or phone — for a smoother, more efficient work process using their mouse and keyboard.4

Additionally, the Odyssey OLED G9 and Odyssey OLED G8 include the Samsung SmartThings Hub. With the built-in hub, users can connect to various IoT devices that are compatible with Matter and the Home Connectivity Alliance (HCA), for device control.5

When switching from work to play, the Odyssey OLED G9 and Odyssey OLED G8 monitors are all-in-one entertainment hubs. Equipped with the Samsung Smart TV platform and Samsung Gaming Hub, they provide access to streaming and cloud gaming services without downloads, storage constraints or the need for a PC/console.6

A Sleek Design To Light Up Any Space

For the first time, Samsung has brought flat OLED options to the Odyssey lineup and a 16:9 aspect ratio to the Odyssey OLED G8 and Odyssey OLED G6. The new models leverage the Odyssey OLED lineup’s unique, slim metal design and include new Core Lighting+ to fit in their slim bezels.

Core Lighting+ immerses users in the environments of their games and entertainment by emitting ambient light from the back of the monitor. And with a lighting circle four times slimmer than the previous model (G95SC model), it fits in seamlessly with the slim 3.9mm metal bezel. There’s also a new slim metal stand that adopts a tool-free assembly structure, using a 3mm metal plate that provides harmony with the display design and opens up space for other devices.

With the unveiling of these new models, Samsung has further strengthened its OLED lineup and bolstered its leadership position in the gaming monitor market. Together, the Odyssey OLED innovations and the continued advancements of the Odyssey Neo series — which saw the release of the world’s first Dual UHD gaming monitor last year with the 57” Odyssey Neo G9 (G95NC model) — are delivering features and performance that will help define the future of gaming.

1 Gray-to-gray (GTG) response time is how long it takes for a pixel to change from one shade of gray to another.
      2 VESA mount refers to the industry’s most common family of standards for mounting displays, as defined by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA).
      3 Swivel and pivot supported in the G80SD and G60SD models.
      4 Multi Control is compatible with Samsung monitors operated by Tizen OS released in 2024 or later, Galaxy Books released in 2021 or later and Galaxy tablets and phones running One UI 5.1.1 or higher.
      5 A separate SmartThings dongle is required to connect and control Zigbee and Thread devices. Connection to Z-Wave device is not supported.
      6 Available partners’ services may vary by region. Available features and games may vary by model and country.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics announced the release of two new display models for the healthcare industry, engineered to enhance viewer experiences. The HCU7030, available for hospital or healthcare environments, and the HCF8000, designed for both healthcare and hotel settings, bring an integrated pillow speaker interface, superior visuals with 4K resolution and peak HDR (High Dynamic Range) performance for a more comfortable and enjoyable user experience. These models are Web RTC (Real Time Communication)1 ready to allow quick addition of video conferencing.2

▲ The HCU7030 provides a number of patient room-friendly features including a pillow speaker interface and Multi-Code Remote

“With these new models, Samsung will quickly advance the commitments we have made to the hospitality industry,” says Hoon Chung, Executive Vice President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “The new models are packed with unique and premium features to enhance the user experience, driving both patient and healthcare leadership across diverse environments.”

With a growing shift towards premium digital display solutions, the HCU7030 series transforms in-room engagement, giving patients an experience that makes them feel right at home. The HCU7030 series integrates the pillow speaker interface, allowing patients to enjoy clear audio and control of the TV right at their bedsides. It is also equipped with a business management suite for easy enrollment of devices and configurations that allow multiple configurations with the same profile and welcoming messages for new patients.

The HCU7030 series, available in sizes from 43 to 75 inches,3 showcases Samsung’s commitment to safety through its UL certification (UL 62368-1 incl. Annex DVB) and the use of three-pin plugs, upholding one of the highest safety standards in healthcare facilities. These displays are designed to be versatile and adaptable for various spaces and applications. The HCF8000 is a sleek, 32” QLED model with a 29.9mm slim design suitable for hotels and hospitality settings. It offers users an immersive experience, drawing them in with its optimal picture performance and design.

▲ The HCF8000 is designed for both healthcare and hotel settings.

Both series include a Multi-Code Remote that minimizes potential interference from neighboring devices and Web RTC for enhanced virtual healthcare assistance. These displays also come equipped with LYNK Cloud,4 a comprehensive cloud solution allowing customizable content, remote device management and access to OTT (over-the-top) entertainment. LYNK Cloud also helps decision-makers uncover insights that enable the delivery of optimized content to better serve end-users’ interests. Managers can leverage this guestroom management solution to review what content guests engage with, which promotions are entered or exited and review OTT and TV content viewership — enabling the ultimate guestroom content experience.

▲ (from left) The HCF8000 and HCU7030

The HCU7030 will be available in the U.S. starting on August 25, while the HCF8000 will be available in the U.S. and Europe beginning Q4 2023.

For additional information about Samsung’s hospitality displays, visit www.samsung.com/business.

1 Web RTC will be available in Q4 2023.
      2 Additional hardware required for video conferencing.
      3 HCU7030 is available in 43, 50, 55, 65 and 75-inch models.
      4 Samsung LYNK Cloud is available for purchase separately.
      View the full article
    • By BGR
      Over the last year, BGR has highlighted differences between the Samsung Galaxy S23, Apple iPhone 14, and Google Pixel 7. In the latest analysis by SellCell, the company looked at depreciation data between these smartphone lineups since their launches.
      While consumers need to know which new phone has the best camera, battery, or processor, eventually, they will plan to sell their old smartphone for a new model. But when the time comes, which smartphone holds the best value?
      Like previous reports, the iPhone 14 retains the most value, while Samsung’s S23 lineup averages 40% lower resale prices, and Google Pixel 7 models are 48% weaker than the iPhone 14 prices. That said, the latest iPhone model is worth 5.7% less than the iPhone 13 after six months, with the 14-series depreciating by 31.5% while the 13-series was at 25.8% in the same timeframe.
      For Galaxy S23 owners, the worst phone to be sold is the Ultra with 1TB. It lost 55.6% of its value in the two months since its launch. On the other hand, the best Galaxy S23 is the Plus model with 256GB. It regained some of its lost value, and it’s worth 36.4% less after two months of its launch.
      Image source: sellcell One of the sellcell charts shows that the iPhone 14 Pro Max with 128GB version held the best value after two months of its launch, losing 13.6% of its total price. It’s followed by the base-model iPhone 14 with 29% of depreciation, its Plus version, and then the regular Pro model.
      The Galaxy S23 Plus with 256GB appears next, followed by the Pixel 7 Pro. The phone with the most depreciation was the Pixel 7 with 128GB, which lost 44.7% in two months.
      The full report can be found here. It highlights the different storage options between the Galaxy S23, iPhone 14, and Pixel 7 lineups and which could be better for you to buy or resell.
      Don't Miss: Galaxy S23 Ultra beats iPhone 14 Pro Max and Pixel 7 Pro in hardcore performance testThe post Samsung Galaxy phones depreciate much faster than iPhone models after launch appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article
    • By BGR
      If rumors are correct, Samsung will unveil the Galaxy S23 series on February 1st. In such a scenario, official invites for the launch event should drop in the coming weeks. But we don’t need to wait for Samsung to announce its first 2023 flagships to learn everything about it. The Galaxy S23 leaks are more frequent, and the latest batch brings good news about the phone’s storage.
      It appears that Samsung will deliver a great upgrade with this year’s Galaxy S23 models. All phones, including the more affordable Galaxy S23, should feature at least 256GB of storage. That’s double what’s available from most Android handsets and the iPhone 14 series.
      Like battery life, storage is one of the key specs that buyers pay attention to. Each new flagship comes with a better camera system than the next, which can put pressure on the phone’s storage.
      Then there are high-quality streaming shows and movies you might download on your phone to watch offline. Add the more sophisticated games that can run on the new hardware, and the storage can clog up quickly. But storage on smartphones also costs extra.
      The point is that Samsung turning 256GB into the new entry-level storage tier for flagship phones like the Galaxy S23 is terrific news. It’s not just that Samsung would double the previous entry-level storage tier. Samsung would give buyers a significant upgrade when it comes to the phone’s price. And if the cheapest Galaxy S23 costs as much as the Galaxy S22, the 256GB storage bump would be free for the user.
      That’s assuming the rumor is accurate. As always, these reports can be wrong. But leaker Ahmed Qwaider thinks these are the RAM and storage specs for the Galaxy S23 series.
      The Galaxy S23 and S23 Plus will feature 8GB of RAM and 256GB of flash memory. The Galaxy S23 Ultra will be the only model of the three with 12GB of memory and additional storage options going up to 1TB.
      Even if you don’t plan on buying any of the three Galaxy S23 phones this year, Samsung’s big storage push will impact the industry. If the rumor is accurate, expect other competitors to do the same thing with their flagships.
      Apple might be one exception, as the company has moved slower when matching the storage available on Android. The iPhone 15 models might start at 128GB, especially the non-Pro ones.
      The post Galaxy S23 to double storage to 256GB for all models appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article
    • By BGR
      The Galaxy S23 launch is just a few weeks away, or plenty of time for Samsung’s remaining secrets to leak. Thanks to a series of renders and official press image leaks, we already know what the three phones will look like. More importantly, we know that all Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23 Plus, and Galaxy S23 Ultra models will feature the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chip.
      But more details have leaked about a few key features that potential Galaxy S23 buyers might care about: screen brightness, battery sizes, and cooling systems. The good news is that Samsung appears interested in bridging the gap between the more affordable models and the Ultra.
      Per Ice Universe, the Galaxy S23 and Plus will get the same peak screen brightness as the Ultra. That’s 1750 nits, matching the current Galaxy S22 Ultra screen performance. The base Galaxy S22 tops at 1300 nits of brightness.
      Perhaps more important than screen brightness is battery life. And it looks like Samsung will increase the battery capacity of the smaller models. The Galaxy S23 and Plus models will feature an additional 200 mAh battery capacity compared to their predecessors. We’re looking at 3,900 mAh and 4,700 mAh batteries for the two phones.
      The Ultra will pack the same 5,000 mAh battery as its predecessor.
      When it comes to charging, the Galaxy S23 will support 25W chargers. The larger models will top at 45W like their predecessors. As we already saw with the S22 series, that’s not an exciting upgrade and is more of a marketing gimmick.
      Finally, a different leaker provides another exciting detail, one that not all buyers might care about, however. The new phones should feature improved cooling systems compared to the Galaxy S22 series. This would ensure longer-lasting peak performance when using apps that demand more resources.
      The Galaxy S22 performance issues that came to light right after Samsung started shipping the phone were partly blamed on the lack of proper active cooling. Some claimed that Samsung cut costs on cooling, choosing to use software to throttle performance to avoid overheating and preserve battery life.
      Samsung has a different policy in place for this year’s flagships. Reports from Korea said the company would not cut costs this time. Around the same time, Ice Universe indicated that the Galaxy S23 phones would not feature a good cooling system.
      That said, we’re still only looking at leaks. Real-life testing and teardowns will provide evidence of the Galaxy S23’s performance and cooling. But we’ll have to wait for the phones to hit stores for that, which won’t happen before mid-to-late February.
      Cooling aside, if these rumors are accurate, it looks like Samsung is looking to bridge the feature/specs gap between the cheaper S23 models and the Ultra. And that’s something Galaxy S fans who do not want the Ultra will appreciate.
      The post Galaxy S23 battery and cooling details leak, teasing great news for cheaper models appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article