Quantcast

Samsung Gear S3 Review

Alex

samsung_gear_s3_7.jpg?quality=82&strip=a

We once looked on wearables as the future, but now that they’re actually here, we haven’t been quite as enthused. Things started off well with various smartwatches from a variety of OEMs, but one-by-one those companies are either pulling out of the smartwatch market temporarily, shifting focus to other platforms or form factors, or closing their doors entirely. However, there is still hope.

We’ve long recommended Google’s Android Wear as one of the best wearable platforms, but sometimes it’s easy to forget it’s not the only one, nor is it for everyone. I’m here to tell you that Samsung’s Tizen has quietly grown into a fantastic option. Last year we saw it make a splash with the unique Gear S2 and Gear S2 Classic, but this year, we have the Gear S3 and, spoiler alert, it’s fantastic…

THE HARDWARE |

Just like on the Gear S2, Samsung has thankfully opted for a circular display on the Gear S3, and it has a fantastic design overall. Also like its predecessor, it comes in two models, the Gear S3 Frontier and the Gear S3 Classic.

Frontier or Classic?

I spent my time with the Gear S3 Frontier and personally speaking, it’s exactly what I love in a watch. It looks rugged, yet a little fancy at the same time. The charcoal color and subtle grooves along the bezel give this the look of a classic watch.

However, if you’re looking for something a bit classier, the Gear S3 Classic is the better bet. It has a polished stainless steel design which also looks wonderful, and even better, it ships with a leather band instead of the silicone one the Frontier comes with.

Regardless, the build on both of these smartwatches is nothing short of excellent. The stainless steel body is hefty and feels durable, all while looking like a premium device.

samsung_gear_s3_6

Size & Thickness

However, both variants of the Gear S3 have two aspects that not everyone will love — they are both thick and big. These aren’t outrageously large devices, but compared to the Gear S2 or most Android Wear devices, they are fairly big. If you have small wrists, this may not be the watch for you. But beyond that, I found the thickness to be of even bigger concern. It was tough to fit the watch under a shirt cuff or even a jacket, and the LTE variants would be even worse.

That Bezel (And Buttons Too)

The big story with the Gear S3, of course, is the bezel. Compared to other smartwatches, this is where Samsung’s options stand out. The rotating bezel on the Gear S3 provides an excellent experience when it comes to navigation, offering an intuitive and tactile way to interact with the software on your device. You can still interact with the touch screen to control most of the experience, but the addition of the bezel and two buttons make the experience that much better.

samsung_gear_s3_5

Band

As for the band, the Gear S3 Frontier comes with a thick silicone band which is black and has a slight texture to the outside. It looks good and feels pretty decent as well, but it’s not a premium band by any measurement. I wouldn’t really hesitate to toss a leather or metal band on this watch. Luckily, that’s pretty easy with the standard 22mm size and quick release latch.

THE SOFTWARE |

As for its software, the Gear S3 comes with Samsung’s in-house Tizen operating system. Despite that, it works with almost any Android powered smartphone, and believe it or not, Samsung has done an absolutely fantastic job crafting this wearable OS.

This Just Makes Sense

The Gear S3 has a circular display, but it’s not the only wearable to have one. Many Android Wear devices also use circular display, but they’re never felt truly optimized for that form factor. The Gear S3, on the other hand, has software that makes sense. There’s certainly a lot different about Tizen compared to Android Wear or Pebble, so there’s a definite learning curve. However, everything on this watch makes sense.

gears3_tizen_1

From the watchface, there are a few actions to get to various areas of the interface. Rotating the bezel (or swiping) to the left reveals your notifications in the order they arrived. A swipe up on that notification removes it from the carousel and tapping it reveals the full text as well as several actions such as “open on phone.” Going to the right, you’ll find various customizable widgets. On my Gear S3 I have widgets such as weather, steps, calories burned, heart rate monitor, calendar, music controls, and more.

To go back, you hit the top button. Once back on the watchface, there are two other actions available. The first is the app drawer. From here you can view all of your apps in a customizable order. Navigating the apps is as simple as rotating the bezel to select the app of your choice and tapping the name to open the app. The other action from the homescreen is long-pressing the top button. This opens Samsung Pay, which we’ll get to in a moment.

Another small note I need to make on the software is about the input methods. Not only do you have voice replies, but there are also canned messages, emojis, drawing replies, and even a full keyboard (or a T9). It all works well and really comes in handy at times.

Samsung Pay

Samsung Pay is easily the standout feature of the Gear S3. Just like on recent Samsung smartphones, Samsung Pay on the Gear S3 is a mobile payments service which matches Google’s Android Pay and Apple’s Apple Pay systems beat for beat with full NFC compatibility. However, Samsung Pay’s big advantage is using MST technology to “trick” standard card readers into thinking you’re using a standard card. The tech is ridiculously cool, and easily a selling point for the device, but it’s not alwaysreliable.

Following the setup process, which can be a pain depending on your bank, I used Samsung Pay on Gear S3 about 5 times over the course of a few days. During that time, I only got it to work 3 times. What was the issue? I’m not entirely sure. The card reader recognized the watch each and every time, MST or NFC, but in certain stores, it would be declined. From what I can tell, this was an issue related to my bank as many other Gear S3 users report much better success rates on their devices.

samsung_gear_s3_3

Best of all, though, Samsung Pay on the Gear S3 works on any Android smartphone — not just Samsung devices. Last year’s Gear S2 packs the same Samsung Pay functionality, but there it’s limited to Samsung smartphones. Needless to say, this is a massive selling point for the watch, at least in my opinion.

The Setup Process

Another thing worth noting on the Gear S3 is the setup process. If you’ve got a Samsung smartphone, you won’t have any issues here as all of the needed components are built into the OS. However, if you’re like me and have this connected to another Android device, in my case the Pixel XL, you’ll need to install all of those components. That’s expected for any wearable, but on the Gear S3, it requires far more apps.

During setup I actually lost count of how many apps the watch needed to function. You’ll start with the Gear Manager which will prompt the installation of 3-4 other apps from the Play Store. During the setup process, the app will also download a couple of apps, including Samsung Pay, directly through the Gear Manager app rather than the Play Store. Luckily most of these apps won’t appear in your app drawer, but it’s certainly annoying to have to install so many apps just to use your watch. Samsung really needs to consolidate this.

samsung_gear_s3_8

The App Gap is Real

The Gear S3’s software is great, but there’s a definite app gap on the Tizen platform compared to Android Wear or even the now-defunct Pebble. Many of the most popular apps aren’t supported yet, the watchface selection is pretty minimal and won’t suit everyone’s tastes, and exploring Samsung’s app store isn’t a great experience. It’s pretty difficult to find some apps, and it’s even worse when you’re looking for watchfaces. I found myself mainly sticking to Samsung’s built-in watchfaces on the Gear S3.

However, that’s not to say things aren’t improving. Tizen is slowly adopting new wearable apps, like Spotify, which will help the experience on the Gear S3 as a whole. Some well-known Android Wear watchfaces are also making their way over, such as Facer.

samsung_gear_s3_11

Reliability & Performance

Another area the Gear S3 shines in is where reliability and performance are concerned. Never while I was wearing this watch did I have issues with the connection to my smartphone, nor did I miss any notifications due to the software — only due to the vibrations being a tad light.

Performance on the Gear S3 is also stellar. Never on this watch did I notice dips in performance, even when playing some of the games available for it or while using third-party apps. I’ve never had good luck with watches like this, especially on Android Wear, where things would lag and stutter constantly, so I was very pleased with Samsung’s efforts.

Health Features

Already, the Gear S3 wears many hats. It’s a smartwatch, a mobile payments system, and if you’ve got the LTE version, a full-fledged smartphone. However, it’s also a fitness tracker if you want it to be — and it’s a very good one.

samsung_gear_s3_1

The Gear S3 is absolutely packed with outdoor sensors and health features. The S Health suite enables the ability to track things such as calories burned, steps taken, floors climbed, specific workouts (such as a walk, run, or 14 other types of workouts), heart rate, and water/caffeine intake. It’s a generous suite, and everything works relatively well. I’m not someone who works out a ton, but I do take walks or quick runs from time to time, and the Gear S3 made it super easy to keep tabs on how far I’d gone and how many calories I had burned. The watch also has “nudges” that will remind you if you haven’t been active for a while.

BATTERY LIFE |

As for battery life, the Gear S3 goes a little above and beyond compared to other smartwatches. Samsung claims a ridiculous 4 days on a charge, but for the most part, I found myself getting about 2 days on a single charge. That’s with notifications coming in pretty regularly and the always-on display turned on. With that feature turned off, I could squeeze a little under 3 days out of the watch.

Charging

When it comes to charging, Samsung has yet again opted for wireless charging with an included magnetic dock. It works great, the dock allows you to use the watch as a bedside clock, and charging is pretty quick too. Unfortunately, Samsung has changed something in the Gear S3 to where standard wireless charging pads don’t work as they did on the S2. That’s unfortunate because it means you’ll be required to bring the included charger, or a spare, with you on trips.

samsung_gear_s3_2

FINAL THOUGHTS

When it comes down to it, the Gear S3 is a fantastic smartwatch, and there aren’t strings attached to that. Sure, it’s a little big, but if you can handle a semi-large watch, you’ll love the Gear S3. The software is excellent, the hardware is wonderful, and this watch has just about anything and everything you’d want from a wearable. It has a ton of roles to fill, but it fills each and everyone one of them nearly perfectly.

samsung_gear_s3_9

Greatness Comes at a Price

However, this fantastic smartwatch comes with a pretty hefty price tag. You’ll be paying $349 for either the Classic or the Frontier, and more if you grab an LTE version (outside of subsidies or payment plans). That LTE version is available from carriers, but also requires a $5-$10 data plan alongside it. The $349 Bluetooth version, though, is well within the range of most other premium smartwatches, it’s just not the bargain some others may be. Whether or not you’re willing to pay for that is up to you, but I certainly plan to…

Source: https://9to5google.com/2016/12/30/samsung-gear-s3-review/

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By STF News
      Samsung Electronics is unveiling new display possibilities for businesses with its next-generation commercial displays and solutions, at Integrated Systems Europe (ISE) 2022, in Barcelona. Highlighting its vision for “Business Reimagined,” Samsung will present the latest models of The Wall as well as the updated UHD 4K signage with enhanced professional features. Plus, the new Interactive Display featuring a range of innovative new features for education.

Samsung’s signage solutions are designed to meet the real-world needs of modern businesses of all sizes. From retail and corporate, to education and control room displays, Samsung’s signage provides the quality and versatility needed to create cutting-edge customer experiences.

Samsung will launch its new ISE site to showcase this year’s event theme and share further details a month before the opening of ISE 2022. Those who cannot attend this year’s ISE can take a virtual tour at Samsung’s ISE 2022 Virtual Experience (VX), which will open on May 10 when ISE 2022 begins. The ISE 2022 VX site allows visitors to virtually experience innovative display products and solutions that will be showcased onsite. For more information about Samsung’s impactful digital signage and solutions, please visit this link.
      View the full article
    • By STF News
      We live in a fast-changing world that requires us to be constantly innovating and adapting. In line with this trend, Samsung Electronics’ latest products and technologies propose exciting new directions for various aspects of daily life.

CES 2022 offers visitors and online viewers an opportunity to see for themselves how Samsung has been innovating for the future. From displays and home appliances, to products and services that raise the bar for innovation, the company’s showcase at the world’s largest technology show offers a peek at what our daily lives will look like very soon.

Samsung’s CES 2022 booth is full of eye-catching innovations. But which products and technologies will viewers and visitors absolutely not want to miss? To answer that question, Samsung Newsroom went straight to the source, asking the experts behind the innovations which ones they think deserve a closer look.

In part one of this two-part series, Telly Lee, Vice President of Samsung’s Home Appliances Division and Jungrae Kim of Samsung Electronics’ Visual Display Business will explain how Samsung designed its latest home appliances and portable screen to cater to consumers’ evolving lifestyles.

The Bespoke Kitchen: Home Appliances That Evolve in Line With Users’ Changing Lives
      ▲ Telly Lee, Vice President of Samsung’s Home Appliances Division and Head of the Kitchen Product Planning Group, with Samsung’s Bespoke French Door refrigerators

Q: What can you tell us about the home appliance products and technologies that are being showcased at CES 2022?

We are going to focus on introducing the Bespoke kitchen, in which refrigerators and colors are unified to great effect. The Bespoke kitchen begins with our flagship Bespoke refrigerators. We’ve expanded the Bespoke range to FDR (French Door refrigerators) in the U.S. market in 4-door and 3-door models. This represents a significant expansion of our lineup following the release of Bespoke refrigerators in 4-Door Flex, Bottom Mount Freezer and 1-Door Column types in 2021.

One unique point of innovation for Samsung’s Bespoke refrigerator is the Beverage Center. Featuring a water dispenser hidden inside the door, the Beverage Center offers a convenient, hygienic solution that enables the fridge to feature a smooth exterior. Along with the new Bespoke refrigerators, we’re also showcasing other vibrant and colorful products that are part of the Bespoke kitchen like oven ranges and dishwashers.

These days, we’re seeing more customers in the U.S. choose modern designs for their kitchens. With Bespoke, we want to show that it’s possible to decorate your kitchen based on your individual tastes with a palette that includes colors that blend in with your interior, as well as accent colors.

At CES, we are also showcasing SmartThings Cooking, a service that introduces connected experiences to the kitchen. With this service, users can receive recipe recommendations and information to help them save time on both prep and cooking. SmartThings Cooking recommends recipes that fit your tastes and dietary restrictions, then builds meal plans to match. As you’re cooking, it also sends recipe instructions directly to synced Samsung cooking devices.

Q: What are some unique or attractive aspects of the new Bespoke offerings that you don’t want visitors at CES to miss?

First, I’d like to underline the expansion of the Bespoke range, which gives consumers who want their refrigerator to reflect their preferences in terms of color and materials even more options to choose from. Since launching Bespoke in the U.S. in 2021, we’ve seen continuous demand for this type of customization. Delivering on this is one of the reasons we added the French Door refrigerator to our 2022 Bespoke refrigerator lineup. The panels come in twelve colors, which means that there are over 20,000 possible color combinations for a four-door refrigerator alone. I am confident that no other refrigerator offers customers this much choice.

Another can’t-miss aspect is the features. The Beverage Center, for instance includes a 1.4-liter AutoFill water pitcher, as well as a Dual Auto Ice Maker that holds up to 4.1kg of ice. What’s more, the FlexZone offers five different temperature modes to keep ingredients like meat, seafood, fruits and vegetables at optimal temperatures. These unique features help bring greater convenience to users’ daily lives.

Users also get to experience an even smarter kitchen with Family Hub, which is included in the latest Bespoke refrigerator lineup. By using the large screen on the front of the refrigerator users can enjoy music and videos in the kitchen and control kitchen appliances and smart devices too. With a screen that integrates seamlessly into the door panel, and with a highly aesthetic design and minimized bezels, the Bespoke Family Hub is capable of blending into any space.

Last but not least, we are introducing the Bespoke Atelier app that we first launched in Korea to the global market. The app offers access to more than 170 works of art from global artists, covering various periods, trends and themes. It recommends works of art and allows you to create your own gallery of sorts by customizing your display to suit your tastes. In addition, when users display an artwork in listening mode, they’ll be able to hear a description of the art with subtitles. This makes it feel like you’re enjoying a guided tour an art museum from the comfort of your kitchen.

▲ Samsung’s Bespoke Family Hub refrigerator

Q: Our way of life has changed dramatically over the past two years, with technology that connects people becoming more important as contactless ways of doing things increasingly become the norm. What kind of impact do you think the products and technologies showcased at CES 2022 will have on people’s lives?

As users have begun to spend more and more time at home, their lives have become more “home-centric”. We expect this trend to continue in 2022. At the same time, concern for sustainability continues to increase on the heels of events like the United Nations’ COP26 conference, and with environmental regulations being strengthened across the globe. With these shifts in consumer lifestyles and interests in mind, Samsung has been working to provide kitchen solutions that are “customized, smarter, and more sustainable.”

Our customized kitchen solutions cater to users who have been spending a lot of time in their kitchen and thus feel a stronger desire to remodel their space to reflect their tastes. By expanding our Bespoke lineup, we are providing a more diverse range of refrigerator types and color options, helping users build customized kitchens that suit both their lifestyle and their interior design scheme.

Spending more time at home has naturally led to a rise in home cooking as well. To help make this easier by making kitchens “smarter”, Samsung introduced SmartThings Cooking, a tailored cooking journey service that does everything from looking up recipes to creating a diet plan and even shops for groceries. Powered by Whisk’s Food AI, SmartThings Cooking recommends your personalized recipe and meal plans based on your tastes, dietary needs and groceries you have on hand. The service also allows you to enjoy convenient one-stop grocery shopping with your favorite grocery retail brands available through the Whisk network. When it comes time to cook, SmartThings ensures a seamless cooking experience while communicating directly with your smart Samsung kitchen appliances.

And with Family Hub, consumers can even utilize this service through the display on the front of their fridge while continuing to control other home appliances from it as well.

Finally, our kitchen solutions are becoming “more sustainable.” Bespoke refrigerators are built for high energy efficiency, and their replaceable door panels help extend their lifespans. Samsung continues to innovate on this front, seeking out ways to incorporate cutting-edge technology into our appliances while keeping sustainability in mind as well.

The Freestyle : Designing a Screen That’s Not Limited by Space
      ▲ Jungrae Kim of Samsung Electronics’ Visual Display Business proudly displays The Freestyle, a new portable screen introduced at CES.

Q: Could you walk us through how your team came up with The Freestyle?

Ever since the pandemic changed our daily lives, our personal spaces have become more and more important. This is particularly true of relaxing spaces like the bedroom, where we’re seeing more people using products for the purposes of entertainment. We’re also seeing more people utilize cozy and quiet spaces in their homes, as well as increased interest in spending time outdoors – by going camping, for example. We wanted to reflect these trends of our time in our products, and enable users to use them as they wish – anytime, anywhere, and regardless of space limitations. That’s how we came up with the personal, movable smart screen that is The Freestyle.

Q: What are unique points of the Freestyle?

The Freestyle was designed to offer users new levels of functionality. It’s easy to see what sets this product apart just by looking at it. To allow users to carry around every day, we designed The Freestyle to be lightweight, weighing just 830 grams. The fact that you can conveniently carry it with you wherever you go is its biggest advantage.

The Freestyle also features a simpler installation process. All users need to do is place The Freestyle wherever they want, and then turn it on. That’s it. The Freestyle comes with full auto keystone and auto leveling features, enabled by industry-leading technology. The features allow the device to automatically adjust its screen to any surface at any angle, providing a perfectly proportional image every time.

Users can enjoy a seamless and continuous viewing experience by accessing their user accounts and settings for major OTT services. On top of that, we’ve also applied the industry’s first far-field voice control technology. So when the screen is turned on, users can search for content using just their voice. When the screen is off, they can use the device to listen to music or ask for the day’s weather just as they would with a smart speaker.

The Freestyle’s picture and sound quality – the most basic and important features of any display – also deserve a closer look. We applied Samsung TVs’ picture quality engine, and the white balance is adjusted automatically according to the color and tone of the wall that the screen is being projected to. We also applied dual passive radiators to produce deep, high-quality bass. This allows customers to enjoy a cinema-quality sound experience no matter where they are.

Q: In line with Samsung’s ‘Screens Everywhere’ vision, The Freestyle can be utilized in various ways for maximum convenience. What are some specific use cases for The Freestyle?

First of all, The Freestyle can be conveniently set up in a user’s bedroom. While lying in bed, before falling asleep, they can use the device’s integrated cradle to move the screen from the wall to the ceiling to continue watching a movie more comfortably. The Freestyle can also be placed lightly on a dining room table, transforming the room into a new space for entertainment.

In order to utilize spaces like this, our developers came up with a new installation solution that we applied to the product. Thanks to those efforts, users can also utilize the device on a tabletop or floor by connecting it to a standard E26 light socket.1 There’s no need for a separate power supply or cable connection, so it can be used immediately.

For powering it up, The Freestyle is compatible with external batteries2 that support USB-PD and 50W/20V output or above, so users can take it with them anywhere, whether they are on the move, on a camping trip and more. When it’s not used as a projector to stream content, The Freestyle also provides mood lighting effect thanks to its ambient mode and translucent lens cap.

Through close cooperation with Samsung’s MX (Mobile eXperience) Business, we’ve equipped The Freestyle with a button that syncs it with Galaxy devices. With just a push of a button, users can instantly use their Galaxy device as a remote control. They can also utilize mobile hotspots when no Wi-Fi networks are available. We’ve developed this product by paying close attention to even the smallest details, all to make the device just as convenient and easy to use outdoors as it is at home.

1 Light socket connection feature will be first applied in US.
      2 Samsung is not liable for 3rd party external batteries.
      View the full article
    • By STF News
      As we emerge from the pandemic, our world has become more virtual and continues to shift online at a rapid pace. Keeping up with these changes, Samsung introduces a range of innovative display products and solutions at InfoComm 2021 in Orlando, Florida.

In addition, Samsung is hosting ‘InfoComm 2021 Samsung VX’, a new-concept event that will allow people who cannot attend InfoComm in person this year, including key customers and retailers, to experience its products and solutions virtually.

The cutting-edge commercial display solutions set to be introduced by Samsung, which can be used in a variety of business settings, include:

‘The Wall’ – a MICRO LED technology-based commercial display. Neo QLED 8K Signage that offers industry-leading picture quality with Quantum Mini LEDs and Quantum Matrix Technology Pro. Outdoor signage products that are dustproof and waterproof, producing bright and brilliant messages on displays that are built for the outdoors.  

The Wall, a next-generation display that comes equipped with a MICRO AI processor and the latest display technology, features a bezel-free modular screen that can be easily customized to suit the design of any space. It can be implemented across a range of commercial environments and can be installed in various positions including in an L-shape, concave, convex, on a ceiling or hanging to offer customers and partners more convenience.

During the event, Samsung unveils Neo QLED 8K Signage for the first time, which is powered by Quantum Matrix Technology Pro. Neo QLED 8K Signage delivers unrivaled picture quality thanks to Quantum Mini LEDs. The display will also be available in a choice of 65-, 75- and 85-inch models, and will offer the option of either portrait or landscape orientation. Neo QLED 8K Signage also features an Infinity One Design, seamlessly fitting into any business environment with its slim and minimalistic look.

Finally, as sales of EVs (electric vehicles) continue to increase significantly, demand for the installation of charging stations has been rapidly growing too. Samsung’s outdoor signage displays are currently being used at EV charging stations, ensuring that the stations are equipped with the best visual display technology to offer customers an optimal experience. This outdoor signage features enhanced visibility, brightness greater than 3,500nits, and 24/7 performance ensuring crisp content at all times. These advanced displays provide customers with a variety of important information such as maps, traffic updates and digital advertisements – for businesses such as convenience stores, gas stations and quick service restaurants.

Samsung introduces the future of displays at InfoComm 2021, North America’s largest pro-AV industry event, which features more than 40,000 attendees. We look forward to seeing you there, either in person or virtually.

To learn more about InfoComm 2021 Samsung VX, please visit: https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/showcase/virtual-experience/infocomm-2021.
      View the full article
    • By STF News
      SDKs for Blockchain Developers
      At Samsung, we understand that one size does not fit all of your development needs. That’s why we offer two different SDKs to cover your blockchain development needs: Samsung Blockchain Platform (SBP) SDK and Samsung Blockchain Keystore (SBK) SDK. The SBP SDK aims to be an overall solution for your DApp’s every need, from connecting to supported hardware wallets to uploading transactions in the supported Blockchain networks. On the other hand, the SBK SDK allows you to securely access the Samsung Blockchain Keystore cold wallet and supports signing transactions of a wide range of cryptocurrencies.
      Samsung Blockchain Platform SDK
      The Samsung Blockchain Platform SDK offers a full set of functions for your Decentralized App (DApp) or Blockchain App needs. It helps you manage blockchain accounts easily and make a transaction easier by using abstracted transfer APIs. Additionally, the SBP SDK offers a UI-based cryptocurrency payment solution for even more rapid development.

The Samsung Blockchain Platform SDK can easily connect your DApp to different hardware wallets for securely signing transactions. Currently, three hardware wallets are supported: Samsung Blockchain Keystore, Ledger Nano X, and Ledger Nano S. Once successfully connected to a hardware wallet, the SBP SDK offers abstracted APIs, so you never have to worry about what hardware wallet to which the user is connected.
      The SBP SDK also has a blockchain browser solution for your web DApp. With the SBP SDK’s Cucumber Webview, you can migrate your web-based DApp into the mobile environment with little to no changes in your web app. This can help you drastically reduce development time and resources, and to reach millions of new Galaxy devices.
      With the SBP SDK’s Payment Sheet UI, developing a native Android DApp has never been easier. Simply launch the desired Payment Sheet Intent and let the SDK take care of the rest of your DApp’s payment or transfer flows.

The SBP SDK currently supports two major Blockchain networks: Ethereum and TRON. With the SBP SDK’s abstracted APIs for cryptocurrency and token transfers, you never have to worry about complex details. The SBP automatically estimates transaction fees and handles code for underlying smart contract function ABIs for token transfer. You can simply plug in your JSON-RPC endpoint/node to the SBP and develop your DApp faster.
      You can check out all of the aforementioned APIs (and more) in action, on the Aero Wallet sample application for the SBP SDK. Using Aero Wallet’s source code, you can learn how to easily build a fully functional cryptocurrency wallet application from scratch. To learn more about how the SBP SDK can greatly simplify your DApp development, check out the SDK Overview.
      Samsung Blockchain Keystore SDK
      The Samsung Blockchain Keystore, powered by the Knox Security Platform, is a built-in secure cold wallet available on a wide range of Galaxy devices. The Samsung Blockchain Keystore SDK allows your Android apps and DApps to communicate directly with this highly secure cold wallet for fetching address lists and public keys and signing cryptocurrency transactions.

With the SBK SDK, your DApp can fetch the user’s blockchain address and link it to the user’s account. Using this address, you can query on the blockchain network (using a blockchain explorer or another library such as SBP) to find the user’s account balance and transaction history.
      Furthermore, you can use the SBK SDK to request the Keystore app to sign a cryptocurrency transaction. The Keystore app then shows the requested transaction to the user inside a Trusted User Interface (TUI), executed within the Trusted Execution Environment (TEE). Once the user approves the transaction with a PIN or a biometric authentication like a fingerprint, the Keystore app signs the transaction with the associated private key and returns it to you through the SBK SDK.
      To learn more about how you can integrate the SBK SDK into your app, check out the SDK overview.
      Choosing the right SDK for your Dapp
      Both of the Samsung Blockchain SDKs can help make your DApp more feature-rich and cut down development time and effort. If you are still confused about which SDK is best for your DApp, check out our brief comparison below.
      API Samsung Blockchain Platform SDK Samsung Blockchain Keystore SDK Fetch Public Address Supported Supported Sign Transaction Supported Supported Send Transaction Supported Unsupported Send Token Transaction Supported Unsupported Built-in Payment Screen UI Supported Unsupported Seamless Integration with WebApps Supported Unsupported External Hardware Wallet Supported Unsupported Blockchain Networks Supported (at the time of writing) Ethereum and Tron Bitcoin, Ethereum, Klaytn, Stellar and Tron Services for End-Users
      Samsung Blockchain Apps and services aim to provide you with a secure and convenient experience in the blockchain world. Samsung currently offers two applications under its blockchain platform: the Samsung Blockchain Keystore app and the Samsung Blockchain Wallet app. You can find out more about each of these offerings from this article and from the global Samsung site.
      Samsung Blockchain Keystore
      Samsung Blockchain Keystore offers defense-grade, vault-like security for your crypto assets. The Blockchain Keystore app runs within the TEE of the Knox Platform. This allows the Samsung Blockchain Keystore to provide security unlike ever before, as the private key and information located in the Samsung Blockchain Keystore are never saved to a Samsung or an external cloud, nor is it seen by the devices’ Android OS.

You can easily set up the Keystore app by importing your existing account by using a 12-word mnemonic, or create an entirely new one.

Samsung Blockchain Wallet
      The Samsung Blockchain Wallet app allows you to conveniently send and receive major cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ether. Not only does the Samsung Blockchain Wallet app support the built-in Samsung Blockchain Keystore wallet, it also supports external physical wallets such as Ledger Nano S and Nano X, using USB.

Beyond sending and receiving crypto assets, you can also explore partner DApps through the Blockchain Wallet App. Partner DApps on the Samsung Blockchain Wallet app unlock the door to a wide range of experiences such as cryptocurrency exchanges, staking pools, and NFT marketplaces. Furthermore, you can stay on top of the latest trends and ongoing events in the blockchain world with the Samsung Blockchain Wallet’s News section.

Conclusion
      Blockchain technology has the potential to revolutionize many aspects of our lives. With Samsung Blockchain SDKs and applications, you and your DApp users can always stay at the forefront of this technology. We want to continuously improve your experience in the blockchain world. Feel free to share your thoughts with us and with the global blockchain developer community on the Samsung Blockchain Developer forum.
      View the full blog at its source
    • By STF News
      Samsung Electronics, a top tier gaming monitor company,* today announced the global launch of its next-generation curved gaming monitor, the Odyssey Neo G9 (Model Name: G95NA), enhanced with Quantum Mini LED technology. The Odyssey Neo G9 joins the Odyssey lineup, taking gaming to the next level with Quantum Matrix technology, supported by Quantum Mini LED display and Quantum HDR 2000 for an immersive gaming experience.

With the previous launch of the Odyssey G9 in 2020, Samsung pushed the boundaries of premium gaming monitors with smooth and brilliant picture quality. Now with the industry’s first Quantum Mini LED curved display delivering the most refined detail regardless of the game played, the Odyssey Neo G9 is catapulting the gaming monitor category forward. Featuring Quantum Matrix Technology combined with super-fast response and refresh rates, Odyssey Neo G9 delivers an unrivaled dynamic picture and premium performance for all gamers.

“Samsung addressed the demands and expectations of even the most demanding gamers with the launch of the groundbreaking Odyssey gaming monitor portfolio last year,” said Hyesung Ha, Senior Vice President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “With the introduction of the Odyssey Neo G9, equipped with Quantum Mini LED displays, we are excited to offer a state-of-the-art gaming experience to our customers and demonstrate our continuous leadership in the market.”

The Odyssey Neo G9 utilizes the same Mini LED technology built into Samsung’s latest Neo QLED lineup. This next-generation display technology is enabled by a new light source, Quantum Mini LED. At 1/40 the height of a conventional LED,1 the Quantum Mini LED has incredibly thin micro layers filled with many more LEDs.

Additionally, Quantum Matrix Technology, which harnesses enhanced 12-bit gradation for greater control of the light source – the Quantum Mini LEDs makes dark areas darker and bright areas brighter with 2,048 dimming zones, ensuring viewers enjoy the content as it is meant to be seen. Quantum HDR 2000 offers a peak brightness of 2,000 nits, with certification received from VDE (Verband Deutscher Elektrotechniker), alongside a static contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1. In addition, Samsung’s cutting-edge picture quality technology provides perfect black and white levels, for unparalleled contrast and immaculate detail.

Based on the high performance technology pioneered by the current Odyssey G9, the Odyssey Neo G9 features an ultra-wide 49-inch display with a 32:9 aspect ratio that offers Dual Quad High-Definition (DQHD; 5,120×1,440 resolution) with a rapid, 240Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time.** The futuristic and immersive 1000R curvature of the monitor was certified by TÜV Rheinland, a leading international certification organization, awarding it their Eye Comfort certificate.

The Odyssey Neo G9 provides Adaptive Sync on DP1.4 and HDMI2.1 VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) through HDMI 2.1 with NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatibility and AMD FreeSync Premium Pro, delivering dynamic and seamless action scene-by-scene for a groundbreaking gameplay experience.

The display seamlessly fits into any gaming setup or environment, with a glossy white exterior and futuristic rear infinity core lighting system, which includes 52 colors and five lighting effect options. The monitor also comes with the CoreSync feature, allowing users to personalize their setup with the multiple color mode, for world-blending immersion.

Samsung’s Odyssey Neo G9 with Quantum Mini LED will be available for preorder from 29 July 2021 and be available globally by 9 August 2021.

For more information, please visit: https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/gaming-monitor/odyssey

[Spec Table]
      Model G95NA Display
      Screen Size 49” Flat / Curved 1000R Curved Aspect Ratio 32:9 Brightness (Typical) 420 cd/㎡ Peak Brightness (Typical) 2000 cd/㎡ HDR Yes HDR 10+ Yes Contrast Ratio Static 1,000,000 : 1 Resolution 5,120 x 1,440 Response Time 1ms (GTG) Refresh Rate 240Hz Viewing Angle 178° (Horizontal) / 178° (Vertical) Gaming Feature
      FreeSync FreeSync Premium Pro G-Sync G-Sync Compatible Auto Source Switch + Yes Etc. Screen Size Optimizer, Black Equalizer, Low Input Lag Mode, Refresh Rate Optimizer, Super Arena Gaming UX Interface

Display Port Display Port 1.4 (1EA) HDMI HDMI 2.1 (2EA) Headphone Yes USB Ports 2EA Design
      Color Black Stand Type HAS Tilt Yes Swivel Yes Wall Mount Yes (100×100)  

*Source: IDC Worldwide Gaming Tracker, Q121, 16.9% market share based on revenue (over 100Hz) (Updated on July 28, 2021)
      **Based on Gray to Gray industry standard measurement

1 Compared with LED module height featured in the 2020 Samsung UHD TV, each Quantum Mini LED is 1/40 the size.
      View the full article