Quantcast

Prime Time Design: Unpacking the Creative Process with Pedro Machado from Health Face

2021-02-03-01-banner.jpg

Design inspiration is all around us; however, tapping into it is another story. Fortunately, there are members of the Samsung Developers community who’ve cracked the code and defeated ‘designer’s block.’ We connected with several watch faces/themes designers and are excited to share their advice, creative processes, and sources of design inspiration in this blog series.

This week, we’re featuring Pedro Machado from Health Face. A designer from Spain, Pedro focuses on creating sport watch faces designed for daily use. Read on to learn about how he got into designing watch faces and how he finds inspiration for his stylish and functional designs.

When and why did you start designing watch faces?

In 2017, I read a news story from Samsung promoting the design of watch faces and that explained some features of the Galaxy Watch Studio program (formerly Galaxy Watch Designer). Afterwards, I was curious to try designing my own personalized watch face, since a few months prior my parents gave me a Samsung smartwatch. I found watch face design interesting and started research on how I could start creating designs for others to enjoy on their devices.

2021-02-10-01-01.jpg

What does your design process look like? Do you have a strict protocol or is it more free flowing?

I like to use my free time as a chance to get inspired and come up with ideas that I can later transform into a design. Once I have several ideas in mind, I put them on paper to see the possible combinations and shapes they can take on a watch. When the idea is clear or almost ready, I start preparing the design on my computer. Once I have all the elements created, I mount my design in GWS and test it on 4-5 devices to check that everything works correctly.

How has your design approach evolved over time?

In the beginning, I created varied designs of all styles, from formal and minimalist to fun with many patterns. However, after a year of experience and analyzing statistics, I concluded that sport designs that take advantage of watch characteristics are received well by users. That’s when I decided to create Health Face, focused on sports and daily life that many users can identify with and use to get the information they need.

What was the inspiration for your most successful watch face and how did you make it a reality?

I remember being inspired to create one of my most successful watch faces at the SDC19 conference in San José, California. There was a prototype car with some very striking speed markers that gave me the idea to design a watch face with similar markers – I also thought it would contrast well with smart devices.

How do you strike a balance between the vision you have for a watch face and its functionality? Is this the most challenging part of the design process?

I agree that this part is the most challenging, since sometimes an idea is difficult to translate to the screen. Plus, there’s the added consideration of the user. If they have vision problems, they might need larger letters and numbers, and this can pose a challenge to your original idea.

To achieve a good balance between the initial idea and the final product, it’s important from the beginning to think about all the possible errors or obstacles you may encounter with your design. That way, if any problem arises, they will likely be small and easy to solve.

How do you navigate guidelines without compromising the integrity of your design?

When you’re starting out, it’s impossible to know all the restrictions. You must be patient with yourself and learn from your experiences. Eventually you’ll learn how to navigate those guidelines and create great designs.

What’s the one piece of advice you’d give a designer who is stuck in a creative rut?

My advice to a designer who can’t think of a new design is to not get overwhelmed by the lack of inspiration. I recommend disconnecting for an afternoon. Go outside, play a sport, relax and clear your mind to help free space for new ideas. The world around us is constantly sending signals and clues to make new designs, so take advantage of it!

2021-02-10-01-03.jpg

Thanks to Pedro for sharing helpful advice on the design process, staying creative and finding inspiration for Galaxy Watch Face designs. You can connect with Pedro and Health Face on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.

Designers, are you ready to take the next step and sell your work on Samsung devices? Submit your Galaxy Watch Faces or Themes portfolio before the submission window closes on February 23rd.

Stay tuned for the final installment in our ‘Prime Time Design’ series featuring Ramon Campos from Friss in Motion and follow us on Twitter at @samsung_dev for our latest updates.

View the full blog at its source

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Samsung Newsroom
      “Color” is more than just a design element. It is a profound language that bridges emotions and experiences, allowing artists to create evocative messages that resonate on a deeper level. It is a vital component in the toolkit of any creative professional. Accurate monitors like the ViewFinity S9 provide artists with the ability to see and express color accurately across various mediums, granting them total control over their artwork. This ensures that the final products are aligned with the artist’s original intent.

OIMU Studio, a design powerhouse in Korea, believes that design should act as a “connector.” Their work forges links between the values of the past and present, and between Eastern and Western traditions. Through various projects, including the renowned “Color,” “Nobang” and “Match” projects, OIMU provides these connections to their audience, blending cultural traditions and offering a fresh and modern perspective to elements of the past.

In this second installment of the ViewFinity S9 Story series, Samsung Newsroom sat down with Sohyun Shin of OIMU Studio to explore her inspirations and find out how ViewFinity S9 has become a vital tool in her artistic pursuit.

▲ Sohyun Shin, Founder and Chief Designer of OIMU

Established in 2015, OIMU is a lifestyle brand and design studio known for bridging cultural differences and reinterpreting nostalgic objects with a modern flair. Led by Sohyun Shin, the studio boasts with portfolio of projects that connect various traditional Korean elements with contemporary aesthetics.  

Q. Could you briefly introduce OIMU to our readers?

OIMU is a lifestyle brand and design studio, dedicated to celebrating and promoting the cultural values and traditions of Korea through design and content. We are involved in publishing, exhibitions and products as well. One of our most well-known work is the “Color” project, which created over 350 unique color names in Korean. We aim to reinterpret Korea’s rich cultural heritage through design.

Q. Can you tell us about your recent project using the ViewFinity S9?

The “Color” project began with a goal to develop unique color names, typically in foreign languages, in Korean. Recently, we made 100 color name cards for a brand exhibition. As these unique set of colors had precise CMYK values, it was important to express the colors as accurately as possible, to highlight those subtle and nuanced differences. The ViewFinity S9 monitor helped us match our print values to our digital designs, and we were able to prepare the final print as intended.
      ※ CMYK: A color model used in color printing with four ink plates: cyan, magenta, yellow and key (in many cases, black).

Outside of the “Color” project, we also work with many delicate illustrations, which can appear blurry and unclear at places like print shops with ordinary monitors. ViewFinity S9, in contrast, presented images with outstanding clarity, allowing us to confidently move on with the card designs. I recently underwent LASIK surgery to improve my eyesight. If prior monitors reminded me of my sight before LASIK, the ViewFinity S9 felt like seeing with improved vision after! It has undoubtedly been a transformative tool.

Q. What is the most important factor when selecting a monitor?

Much of OIMU’s work, like any design studio, require attention to details. So, high resolution is essential. High resolution monitors allow us to be more intuitive and help us work on intricate designs by showing the subtle differences in colors and details.

Data processing is key in ensuring that physical prints turn out high-quality. ViewFinity S9 significantly reduces the margin of error during this process. When comparing digital and physical prints, you’ll find them nearly identical. In essence, ViewFinity S9 helps us create higher quality designs.

Q. What are your favorite features of ViewFinity S9?

There were reflections when we were using ordinary monitors, forcing us to use blinds. With ViewFinity’s Matte Display, reflections are minimized and colors are accurate even in sunlight. Now, I can work while enjoying the view and natural light.

Our studio has many windows, so, monitor glare is unavoidable. I like to work with the view of nature.

ViewFinity S9 minimizes glares and reflections, so I can accurately check the colors even when it is bright outside.

Q. How else did ViewFinity S9 change your work environment?

Color temperature is another important aspect in our line of work. With ViewFinity’s Smart Calibration feature,1 we can calibrate precise onscreen colors without additional and often expensive equipment.

Also, ViewFinity S9 is great when I want to take a break from work, since I can watch my favorite shows on OTT streaming apps.2 I also just love this cute remote control.

Q. Would you recommend ViewFinity S9 to other designers?

Designers spend countless hours in front of monitors. To me, ViewFinity S9 stands as an optimal choice for both eye comfort and faithful expression of images and color. If you are a creative professional seeking a premium display, you won’t be disappointed with ViewFinity S9.

1 Smart Calibration enables users to conveniently customize the ViewFinity S9’s screen for precise settings — including color temperature, luminance, color space and gamma settings — using their smartphones, without expensive, complex calibration equipment. Available on Galaxy S10 or later, Galaxy Note10 or later, Galaxy Fold devices, Galaxy Flip devices, iPhone 11 or later and the second generation iPhone SE 2 or later. Latest version of the SmartThings app required.
      2 App availability may vary by country and separate subscriptions may be required. Requires internet connection.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Samsung Electronics today announced that Lucid Group, Inc., has installed The Wall at its design studio to enhance the collaborative design process for their future electric vehicle models. With cutting-edge MicroLED technology, The Wall offers exceptional visual capabilities, providing Lucid with additional tools to meet the surging demand for sustainable electric vehicles, while elevating the luxury experience for drivers.

“At Lucid, we’re on a mission to inspire the adoption of sustainable energy with a focus on the human experience. With The Wall, we’re able to take this mission to new heights,” said Jenny Ha, Exterior Design Manager at Lucid Motors. “While designing the Lucid Air Sapphire, from concept sketches all the way to final adjustments, Samsung enabled us to visualize the future of our vehicles in high resolution at all stages of development. No detail was left unnoticed, and we’re thrilled for our customers to experience the results of the new design process.”

“The Wall installation in the Lucid Motors design studio is another great example of how Samsung innovations are helping our partners and customers unlock their own exciting innovations to drive their business in exciting new ways,” said James Fishler, Senior Vice President of the Home Entertainment & Display Divisions at Samsung Electronics America. “Supporting Lucid in its mission to deliver sustainable luxury vehicles – and the stunning design of the new Lucid Sapphire made possible with our 255-inch class high resolution display — has been both inspiring and rewarding.”

▲ Simon Tovey, Exterior Design Director at Lucid Motors, and Jiyeon Jenny Ha, Exterior Design Manager, discuss the exterior design for the Lucid Air Sapphire using The Wall with MicroLED technology

High-Definition Image Quality Delivered at Full-Sized Scale for Seamless Collaboration
      Powered by superior MicroLED technology, the 255-inch display empowers Lucid’s designers to view and review their designs in true-to-life color at a 1:1 scale. Not only does the true-life color produce a realistic rendering of the design, but the high-resolution display accurately reproduces the reflection of light off complex 3D surfaces.

The authentic image rendition allows for increased collaboration between engineering and design teams, resulting in accelerated decision making processes that save the company time and money.

▲ Simon Tovey, Exterior Design Director at Lucid Motors, reviews details of the Lucid Air Sapphire in front of The Wall with MicroLED technology

“The Wall has revolutionized the way our design and engineering teams work together,” added Ha. “With this technology, we can effortlessly visualize design data that incorporates engineering feedback and simulation results, allowing us to promptly assess the effects of any alteration on the overall design. In other words, development teams now operate more efficiently, and drivers can enjoy enhanced luxury aesthetics without compromising superior vehicle performance. It can be a tricky sweet spot to balance, but The Wall helps us pinpoint it seamlessly.”

▲ Jiyeon Jenny Ha, Exterior Design Manager at Lucid Motors, presents the design for Lucid Air Sapphire on The Wall with MicroLED technology

The Wall’s flexible-yet-compact design also saves valuable studio floor space at Lucid’s headquarters. This allows multidisciplinary teams to use the space for collaborative design workshops to perfectly refine every detail of the vehicles to deliver the premiere quality drivers deserve.

To learn more about how The Wall is revolutionizing automotive design, please visit: https://www.samsung.com/us/business/displays/direct-view-led/the-wall/.
      View the full article
    • By BGR
      Samsung will unveil the Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Flip 5 during an event in South Korea next month, which means the 2023 Samsung foldables will hit the stores earlier than they have in past years. Samsung has started feeling pressure from competitors as various companies brought Fold and Flip designs to international markets. Then there’s the Pixel Fold, which is even more important than all the foldables coming out of China. This will be the only foldable Android device to deliver a Google-optimized version of Android.
      Leaks have shown that Samsung is ready to respond to the increased competition. Both the Fold 5 and Flip 5 will feature design changes that should alleviate some concerns. But you’ll have to wait for the Galaxy Z Fold 6 to get the design change you’ve been asking for: A better aspect ratio for the external display.
      Recent leaks showed that Samsung has “fixed” one annoying Fold and Flip design compromise that has never been a problem for any of Samsung’s rivals. The Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Flip 5 will fold perfectly flat thanks to a new waterdrop hinge design. That means the annoying gap between the two phone halves of the screen will disappear.
      Also, Samsung will increase the size of the Flip 5’s external display considerably to match similar models from Oppo and Motorola.
      Since other vendors delivered these features before Samsung, it seems clear that Samsung didn’t care about changing the Fold and Flip designs too much in the previous years. Samsung was the dominant player in the foldable business in most markets. But there were no real alternatives until this year.
      While Chinse vendors have eliminated the gap and enlarged the external display on Flip phones, those designs were not available in international markets. Samsung had nothing to worry about.
      Google Pixel Fold folded (left) and unfolded (right). Image source: Google Chinese vendors and Google have also fixed an incredibly annoying Galaxy Z Fold design choice. Samsung’s external display is too tall, and the resulting aspect ratio isn’t great for using the phone while folded.
      Most people will likely use foldable handsets when they’re closed more than when they’re open. You don’t need to unfold the handset for basic smartphone features. It’s only when you need enhanced multitasking or a tablet experience that you unfold the device.
      Handsets like the Oppo Find N and Pixel Fold do not have the same problem. When folded, they look like regular phones, which is what Samsung’s Galaxy Z Fold handsets should look like. Unfortunately, while the Fold 5 has no screen gap when folded, that tall aspect ratio is still a problem. If that’s not what you want from your Fold experience, you can buy something from the competition. Or wait for the Galaxy Z Fold 6.
      Samsung leaker Ice Universe advised buyers a few days ago to skip the Fold 5 and wait for the Fold 6. Reacting to that remark, a different leaker said that the Fold 6 would bring a major design change in the aspect ratio of the external display. The Galaxy Z Fold 6 will be shorter or wider than the Fold 5, if Tech_Reve’s claim is accurate.
      The leaker also said the Fold 6 would use the same image sensor as the Fold 5. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, however.
      It’s unclear where Tech_Reve obtained this information. But the leaker said a few days ago that the Fold 5 might be slightly cheaper than the Fold 4. If you can deal with the weird aspect ratio, that might be a good reason to get it.
      The Fold 5 should still be a great Android flagship, featuring high-end specs just like the Galaxy S23 series. Still, the handset will be more expensive than most traditional smartphones, even after a price cut.
      Don't Miss: There’s nothing wrong with Nothing Phone (2)’s leaked priceThe post Galaxy Z Fold 5 won’t have the design change everyone wants, but the Fold 6 might appeared first on BGR.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Since its launch in 2017, Samsung Art Store has been at the forefront of driving significant changes in the way we experience and appreciate art. With vast collections of artwork, The Frame and the Art Store offer different ways for consumers to enjoy diverse forms of artwork from the comfort of their homes.

Street art — which often incorporates elements of its surroundings and nature — has been finding its place in digital media as display technology and picture quality have rapidly evolved in recent years. Through partnerships with artists like Logan Hicks, Samsung Art Store has been bridging the gap between public art and everyday consumers, bringing intricate details, expressions and impressions closer to users than ever.

Samsung Newsroom had the privilege of connecting with Logan to discuss his creative process and inspiration and how his partnership with Samsung Art Store helped push the boundaries of his craft.

Logan Hicks is a highly acclaimed artist based in New York, renowned for his intricate photorealistic urban landscapes. By using multiple layers of stencils, he seamlessly blends urban aesthetics with extreme precision and detail.  
       ▲ Logan Hicks’ artistic process (video courtesy of Logan Hicks)

Inspiration and Influences: From Baltimore to California and Beyond
      Q: Could you tell us a bit about yourself and your career as an artist? How did you come to work with stencils?

After running a successful commercial screen printing business, I decided to focus on my art and moved from Baltimore to California. I tried hand-cut stenciling and fell in love. The process is similar, but stencils are painstaking and not exact. I embraced this challenge and learned to create deep detail with multiple layers.

▲ Logan Hicks

Q: What is your passion that inspires your art?

Travel is both my inspiration and antidepressant. Seeing new countries, people, places and cultures has always helped keep my eyes open to how utterly fantastic the world is. After I travel, I am always excited to get back into the studio.

I also find a lot of inspiration in New York City. The way the city changes throughout the day and year — it has a life of its own. During the pandemic, it was especially interesting to see a vibrant city empty. It was eerily beautiful.

Q: Could you walk us through your artistic process from the photographs you start with to the final product?

I don’t usually go into detail about my process just because it’s easy to confuse the process for the product. About 75% of my time making art is the laborious process of image preparation, stencil cutting, bridging the stencils, etc. To explain briefly, I take photos, break them down into various levels of contrast, cut them out, spray them on top of each other and then carefully paint the lights. My stencils aren’t the kind that you can just roll over a solid coat of paint — I slowly bring out the image with small sprays of paint that I build up.

Q: What is your favorite step in your artistic process?

My favorite step is creating and choosing a mood for my artwork. Will my scene be exacting or painterly? Will it depict the solitude of the evening or the vibrancy of a bright day? One set of stencils can be painted in many ways, and I like figuring out which one is best.

Q: What partnerships have you worked on over the years that stand out to you?

I find that the most successful partnerships are the ones that have the least direction, at least for me. Finding a company that grants freedom to do what I want is paramount for a successful collaboration. A few that come to mind are the Bowery Wall I painted for the Goldman family in New York and a partnership with Porsche for their electric car at Scope Art Fair.

Logan Hicks X Samsung Art Store
      Q: Why did you choose to partner with the Art Store?

An artist only has two reasons to continue: to make art and to present the art to an audience. For me, Samsung Art Store was an outlet to showcase my art — it was a new approach to displaying my art, and for that reason, I found it interesting. Living spaces these days continue to get smaller and smaller, so I saw this as a way of sharing multiple artworks instead of hanging them on limited walls.

Q: How does displaying your work on The Frame compare to other media you’ve worked with (e.g., canvas, brick/concrete walls, billboards)?

Good art should be able to translate to various mediums: canvas, walls or digital. The Frame was an interesting platform just because you don’t have control over where it will be hung or what household will download what artwork — it was fun to find out which of my pieces had the most universal appeal. When you make work for a specific location (like with a mural), you have to consider the neighborhood, lighting, surface of the wall, etc. The success of a mural is based on your ability to adapt to the environment. With The Frame, though, it was a case of plucking those works off the wall and putting them into a digital space — the attention was 100% on the artwork that was created instead of the environment that it lives in.

Q: How does your signature technique of blending colors through aerosol contribute to the visual appeal of your work when displayed digitally?

I hope the audience can appreciate my work on multiple levels. For example, you only observe the subject matter at a distance before you start noticing the details as you get closer. Once you’re inches from it, the execution becomes clear — from the way the colors blend to the tiny dots of aerosol paint that make up the surface of the image.

My work has nuances that are difficult to see on traditional digital displays. I’ve been happy with how the matte display of The Frame picks up details of the spray paint and the subtle color changes.  The display offers the opportunity to experience the work from various distances as if it exists on a wall or canvas.

Q: You already have experience in creating large-scale murals worldwide in places like Istanbul, Miami, Baltimore, New York, Tunisia, Paris, etc. How does the Art Store partnership expand the global reach and accessibility of your work to audiences beyond that?

I easily forget that 99.9% of the world won’t have the opportunity to see my work in person. When I paint a mural, it’s usually in larger metropolitan areas and in cities where I already have some sort of connection. So, I like to extend my reach to people who may not live in the places I paint. With this approach, someone in the rural outback of Australia has access to my pieces just as someone in the heart of Manhattan does.

Q: What are your top three picks you would recommend to consumers to display on The Frame? Please give us a very brief explanation of each.

▲ The Entrance, 2019

This painting is the front of Monet’s house. I visited Monet’s Garden for the first time and instantly felt like I was in a different land — flowers surrounded me like a green fog, and the smell of flowers filled the air. Standing in front of Monet’s house, I imagined what it would have been like to live there. I think about how this was what Monet saw every morning as he walked the garden and returned to his house.

▲ Giverny, 2019

This piece is also from Monet’s Garden. What I loved the most about the garden is that it’s very rare that you can stand in the same place where a masterpiece was created. I’ve grown up seeing Monet’s paintings in my art history books, on TV and in movies. But when I visited the garden, I realized that I was in the painting. I was standing where Monet once stood as he painted, and suddenly his artwork made more sense to me. Of course, he painted his garden! How can you visit heaven and not memorialize it in a painting?

▲ Axon, 2018

I have a soft spot for Paris: the culture, food, art and architecture. I love it all. This painting is a scene that you see when you walk outside the Gare De Lyon train station. I can remember when I took the photo that I used as inspiration for this piece. My friend asked me, “Why would you take a picture of the street? It’s ugly. It is the train station that is beautiful.” The wonderful thing about being a tourist is that everything is new and fresh.  To me, the street was just as beautiful as the train station. That is the power of a good painting — it can enchant the most boring scenes.

The Intersection of Technology and Creativity
      Q: As an artist known for your traditional artistic techniques, how do you navigate the intersection between traditional art forms and the digital world?

Art is a language, and learning to speak it in different arenas is critical to the success of an artist. I don’t put too much thought into what is traditional and what isn’t. I just try to consider what the work will look like scaled down to the size of The Frame. I try to think about what pieces have enough complexity to remain on the screen in someone’s space for an extended period.

Q: What unique opportunities does the digital art platform offer for artists like yourself?

The main opportunity I see for the digital space is access to a new audience. Someone may not spend thousands on my painting, but they may download an image of it. I’d like to think that sometimes that may even translate into someone then going out and buying a physical copy of a painting.

It’s also a great way to reach an audience that does not traditionally go to galleries. Art is most successful when people can see a little bit of themselves in it, regardless of whether that is a feeling, experience, thought or mood. That isn’t limited to an art museum attendee. Finding people and connecting with them through art is something that can be done on a much larger scale through a digital platform.

I love the opportunity to reach new audiences who may not have appreciated art before. The art world can sometimes be guarded; The Frame gives new fans an opportunity to consider living with art.

Visit the Samsung Art Store in The Frame to explore more of Logan Hicks’s collection.
      View the full article
    • By Samsung Newsroom
      Ultra-large TVs are taking the world by storm. The standard of ultra-large TVs, currently broadly understood as “larger than 75 inches,” continues to evolve with the growth in demand. Samsung Newsroom previously explored the main drivers of this trend, with a focus on the 2023 98-inch Neo QLED 8K. In this piece, we move on to discuss the intricate design process that helped showcase the behemoth of a screen in a sleek, elegant form factor as well as the details considered to push the immersive viewing (and listening) experience to the frontier.

▲ Video describing the 98-inch ultra-large TV design philosophy of Elimination

Pursuing Simplicity with a Purpose 
      ▲ TV designer Jangho Kim described the 98-inch ultra-large TV design as “a process of focusing solely on the immersive experience and eliminating everything else”

The essence of the TV experience is defined by both what you see and what you hear. Samsung Electronics has long focused on creating a “TV without a bezel” to provide a seamless experience that eliminates unnecessary distractions, Samsung adheres to the idea of “simple, yet meaningful.” A few years ago, this journey came to the point of minimizing the company logo in the front; this year, the 19.9 mm bezel-less design of the 98-inch Neo QLED pushed the envelope to represent the culmination of Samsung’s design philosophy.

“We focus on the core activities of the TV experience — which is watching and listening to content — and deliver value by leaving only the beauty of simplicity,” said Jangho Kim, who helped design the TV.

‘Design’ Paving the Way for Even-Larger TVs
      As screens get larger, users have higher expectations for a new viewing experience. The current embodiment of Samsung’s TV design philosophy can be summarized as “One Plate Design,” to provide a perfectly immersive environment while eliminating potential concerns about the 98-inch size.

“We created the ‘One Plate Design’ by adopting a basic, simple design language so that TVs don’t seem intrusive to space. Being completely flat, you can hang the TV flush against the wall,” said Kim. “The TV is physically slim, but with a purpose: it all adds up to provide a truly immersive experience.”

▲ With a minimalist approach, the “One Plate Design” (QN100B, in this case) gives the impression of a single plate floating in the air (left) with a simple, barely noticeable stand supporting it (right)

The stand also heeds the minimalistic design philosophy, providing a sturdy foundation that does not obstruct the user’s view. Made up of two sheets of metal, the compact stand evokes a clean design while holding the ultra-wide screen steady — it doesn’t need to visually boast its 98-inch-screen-bearing prowess. “We made great efforts to find the optimal structure and ratio that can firmly balance a 98-inch TV without shaking or falling over,” said Kim. “The stand was developed with a simple but sleek and stylish design that can naturally blend in with the TV.”

The creation of this new, innovative product is the result of many talented minds from different departments coming together. Kim expressed how the expertise of various engineers, including those from the circuit, mechanics and materials departments, helped tremendously in realizing the slim, sleek and simple design statement.

Incredible Detail on a Larger Scale
      As the design language for TVs — like many other electronic devices — has become simpler, some jokingly say that there’s not much left to design. But Kim smiles and says, “that’s why the details become increasingly important.”

For example, the 2023 98-inch Neo QLED’s Slim One Connect box was newly designed to blend in even more seamlessly to the users’ environment. The One Connect box helps users simplify their viewing field by allowing them to connect power and various input sources (e.g., cable box, gaming console, LAN cable) through a dedicated device. Compared to previous models, which required a separate space to place the device, the new Neo QLED 8K’s Slim One Connect box can be easily latched onto the back of the TV or on the stand. Regardless of where you place the TV — whether on a wall, a dedicated TV stand or another piece of furniture — you can enjoy your viewing experience without being distracted by unsightly cables, wires or external devices.

▲ The new Slim One Connect box seamlessly attaches to the stand of the QN900C; sophisticated speaker holes can also be seen on the side

“We revamped the new Slim One Connect box to help users build a seamless TV environment in their homes,” Kim stated. “Ease of installment and minimal cable arrangements are also part of the TV experience. We took these aspects into consideration and really dug into the details in designing the new Slim One Connect box.”

▲ Speaker units in the back of a QN900C

Details can also be found in the sound system. Speaker holes were strategically placed on the side with woofer units in the back for both performance and aesthetic pleasure. “We are doing our best to maintain the beauty of the product at every angle — that includes the back,” explains Kim. The large units help add visual credibility to the set’s sound performance while making the TV visually pleasing from all angles.

These speaker positions, of course, have practical purposes, too. The various directions and spacing alignments of the units help better enable features such as Object Tracking Sound; the exposed woofers can bounce sound off the back walls and fill the room.

▲ Kim vows to continue the push to eliminate outdated ideas in pursuit of new values in his designs

As it continues to capture the attention of users around the world, the 2023 98-inch Samsung Neo QLED 8K is redefining “immersion” with its sleek design, crisp graphics and superior sound quality. Up front, all but the screen is basically eliminated. Details in the sides and back elegantly fill the rest of the immersive experience. A constant process of eliminating, innovating and refining, Samsung TV designs continue to thrive for an even more immersive viewing (and listening) experience.
      View the full article