Quantcast

Alex

Samsung makes Tizen available for third-party TVs

Samsung has annnounced novel third-party compatiblity with TVs as part of its 2019 Developer Conference (SDC). This also involves the roll-out of new tools, so as to help developers generate fresh apps for this ecosystem. Therefore, more obsolete or perhaps less-used smart screens could become the face of interesting side projects or new insights into what this OEM's ecosystem could deliver.

This year's SDC also debuted new tools that may make ends like this even easier in the future. They include EastST, which might replace self-contrived playback modules in order to check that content is running on a given TV as planned. Wits is the perhaps overly on-the-nose term for a new tool that allows immediate uploads of code edit to a Tizen-based TV, so that the developers can view said updates without delay. 

However, the most important user-facing new facility here may be TIFA, or Tizen Identifier For Advertising. It allows advertisement opt-outs that may be more informative than ever before. It is less than super-clear why Samsung has taken such steps; however, a prime candidate rationale is to raise awareness of Tizen's open-source and cross-platform nature. Accordingly, it may pull target products into an ecosystem that also includes essentially Linux-based smartwatches, other wearables and pre-existing Samsung TVs.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-makes-Tizen-available-for-third-party-TVs.441407.0.html

Are they going to update their "Flagship" 2016 8 & 9 Series. After all as per their big wigs at CES 2016, those series were the lynch pins of their new IoT Ecosystems.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By STF News
      Start Date Aug 05, 2020
      Location Online
      The desire to make meaningful connections and to stay productive are constants in a world of change. Our mobile devices need to be ready to help us stay in touch with what matters most and give us new ways to work and play.
      Join us for a virtual Galaxy Unpacked event on August 5 to explore our latest Galaxy Devices ecosystem designed to empower your life. Live streaming of the event will be available at Samsung U.S. Newsroom and Samsung.com at 10 a.m. ET.
      View the full blog at its source
    • By STF News
      Lots of small quality of life improvements
      One benefit of using Samsung Internet is regular updates to improve your browsing experience. Samsung Internet 12.1 focuses on improving the experience on specific devices and improving the tab bar and tab switcher.
      You can test these out right now by downloading the beta from the play store:
      Samsung Internet Browser Beta
      There is a new layout on tablet devices to move the toolbar, usually at the bottom on mobile to sit next to the address bar so it behaves like a desktop browser.
      We’ve also added a new feature for devices which can ‘flex’ like the Z Flip, shown below.
      When you are watching video, if you flex the device we will play the video on the top half and the controls on the bottom half giving a lovely viewing experience.

The tab bar is a feature which has been present for a few versions. It’s an optional tab bar like you would get in a desktop browser.

The tab bar in Samsung Internet
      The first new feature is a context menu to let you control your tabs easily without needing to open up the tab switcher:

The context menu.
      The final feature is one I am very excited about which is support for Augmented Reality websites with the WebXR device API. This feature will get an entire blog post on it’s own so stay tuned.
    • By STF News
      Did you miss out on the latest Samsung Developer newsletter? Catch up now.
      If you don't currently receive the newsletter, you can subscribe here.
    • By STF News
      Start Date Jun 25, 2020
      Location Online
      Les damos bienvenida a nuestra segundo evento en Español.
      Si alguna vez te has preguntado como crear tu primera aplicación para el Samsung Galaxy Watch, si te preguntas qué es Tizen, o cómo publicar tus aplicaciones en el Samsung Galaxy Store, esta es la charla para ti.
      Esta vez nuestro Desarrollador Evangelista Senior, Diego Lizarazo Rivera, se encargará de dar una introducción al desarrollo de aplicaciones para los relojes inteligentes de Samsung, y las diferentes ventajas de desarrollar con Tizen.
      Será una charla en vivo, completamente en castellano, en la que podrás hablar directamente con nuestros expertos y plantearles todas tus dudas sobre cómo desarrollar tus aplicaciones para el mercado global de Samsung. Aprovecha esta oportunidad para hablar con los expertos y otros desarrolladores sobre tus creaciones y para aprender más sobre la tecnología Samsung.
    • By STF News
      Do you build mobile games with the Unity development platform? The Samsung IAP Unity Plugin now supports Samsung version 6.1.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Alex
      How do you get HBO Go on Samsung Tizen Smart TVs? HBO Go is supported on most Samsung Tizen Smart TVs.
      To find out if HBO GO is available on your Samsung TV, go to Samsung TV: Compatible Devices with HBO GO and look for your Samsung TV model.
      If HBO GO is not available on your Samsung TV, you can use a streaming player (such as Roku or Apple TV), a game console, or stream HBO GO to your TV using Chromecast. 
      Go to Smart Hub and search for HBO Go

• By fragerardi
      I am developing an alarm management application on a wearable device. It is a Web application (HTML and Javascript). When the alarm is triggered, in addition to sending the alarm status to the control panel, it should record the sound all around the device. This recording should arrive, in real time, in the operations center, publishing the audio stream on the reference Wowza server.
      Thanks in advance!
    • By Sujan
      Hi,

I want to run a Smart TV application in Tizen Studio emulator. The application was not originally created using Tizen studio. The application is made using JavaScript library "TV Application Layer". 
      The application can be clonned from https://github.com/bbc/talexample .

To run the application in web browser, do the following steps using cmd prompt or git bash:
      1) git clone [email protected]:bbc/talexample.git
      2) cd talexample
      3) npm install
      4) npm start
      then go to http://localhost:1337/

I can run this app in web browser. I can also run any application in the Tizen emmulator, which was originally created in Tizen Studio. But I don't know how to run the above mentioned smart tv app in Tizen Studion Emmulator/ Simmulator. When I try to run in the emulator, it gives the following error:
      ""Launching New_Configuration" has encountered a problem. This is an error in the configuration file."

Maybe, it needs some configuration in both the Tizen studio emulator and the smart tv application.
      Please, tell me any solutions to run the app in tizen studio emmulator.

Thanks
      Sujan

tizenStudio_ScreenShot.docx
    • By Sujan
      Hi,

I want to run a Smart TV application in Tizen Studio emulator. The application was not originally created using Tizen studio. The application is made using JavaScript library "TV Application Layer". 
      The application can be clonned from https://github.com/bbc/talexample .

To run the application in web browser, do the following steps using cmd prompt or git bash:
      1) git clone [email protected]:bbc/talexample.git
      2) cd talexample
      3) npm install
      4) npm start
      then go to http://localhost:1337/

I can run this app in web browser. I can also run any application in the Tizen emmulator, which was originally created in Tizen Studio. But I don't know how to run the above mentioned smart tv app in Tizen Studion Emmulator/ Simmulator. When I try to run in the emulator, it gives the following error:
      ""Launching New_Configuration" has encountered a problem. This is an error in the configuration file."

Maybe, it needs some configuration in both the Tizen studio emulator and the smart tv application.
      Please, tell me any solutions to run the app in tizen studio emmulator.

Thanks
      Sujan

tizenStudio_ScreenShot.docx
    • By el_programmer
      PVS-Studio team regularly checks different open projects and publishes articles on the results of these checks. This time, Andrey Karpov (CTO) accomplished the checking of some projects that are part of the Tizen operating system and has detected about 900 errors. The article is devoted to the review of many of these errors and will be useful both for beginners and experienced developers.
      The types of errors that will be discussed in the article:
      CWE-14: Compiler Removal of Code to Clear Buffers CWE-131: Incorrect Calculation of Buffer Size CWE-134 Use of Externally-Controlled Format String CWE-393 Return of Wrong Status Code CWE-457: Use of Uninitialized Variable CWE-476: NULL Pointer Dereference CWE-562: Return of Stack Variable Address CWE-563: Assignment to Variable without Use ('Unused Variable') CWE-570: Expression is Always False CWE-571: Expression is Always True CWE-690: Unchecked Return Value to NULL Pointer Dereference CWE-697: Insufficient Comparison CWE-762: Mismatched Memory Management Routines CWE-770: Allocation of Resources Without Limits or Throttling CWE-787: Out-of-bounds Write CWE-805: Buffer Access with Incorrect Length Value It is impossible to describe all the 900 errors, that is why most of them will be provided in a list. However, if you wish, you can examine each of the found defects, using the information provided about the location of the error.
      According to the results, there is a prediction in the article, that the PVS-Studio analyzer can identify about 27000 errors in this project. This article demonstrates that during the development of the large projects, static analysis is not just a useful, but an absolutely necessary part of the development process. Get some coffee and cookies, as there is a programmer thriller waiting for us.
      Link to the article: https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0519/